The Americans S05E01 Season Premiere 3/7/17

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DeDondeEs, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Mar 8, 2017 #1 of 33
    DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV

Advertisements

I was glad to see that they chose to not go back to the USSR.

Did they seriously spend the last 10 minutes of the episode digging a hole? I literally took a nap in the middle of their digging in the dark and realized that I didn't miss anything when I woke up and rewound.

2. Mar 8, 2017 #2 of 33
    john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Digging, cutting flesh from a corpse, and shooting their friend in the head.

3. Mar 8, 2017 #3 of 33
    Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    They did their friend a favor!

4. Mar 8, 2017 #4 of 33
    DeDondeEs

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I don't know what the protocols are, but you'd think if you had a body contaminated with an extremely deadly pathogen, you'd cremate/incinerate the body.

5. Mar 8, 2017 #5 of 33
    john4200

Oct 31, 2009

Advertisements

I agree. The showrunners did try to cover their asses on that point by having the body bag labeled "Do not burn".

6. Mar 8, 2017 #6 of 33
    TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Now with 2.6% Fewer Organs TCF Club

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    How in the world could they know where to dig that hole?

7. Mar 8, 2017 #7 of 33
    rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    That's what I was wondering. They knew it was called "Area B" or something like that. I guess they could have determined from satellite images that something had changed or possibly had someone watching the area from a distance. Maybe just an informant? The dude in the car that told them a jeep was coming soon? That was really precise though. Is there an Emmy category for best hole digging scene?

8. Mar 8, 2017 #8 of 33
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The body had a sign on it saying "Do Not Burn." I assume that this particular pathogen would be spread in the ashes or something?

9. Mar 8, 2017 #9 of 33
    DeDondeEs

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Lol, I thought it said "Do Not Turn," but like I said, I had just woken up from a nap...

gossamer88 likes this.
  10. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    Of course, the real reason is because the writers wanted to have that digging scene. In reality, even a super-bug would never survive the temperatures used to cremate a body.

11. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    This may be my only quibble ever with this show. That digging scene went on unnecessarily too long. But still love the show, and the subtle little tension points they give us without it being TOO heavy. Stan talking about how the kids getting together is a good thing for Matthew, stuff like that. Did they explain why they decided to stay? They left it last season that "It's time to pull you out but it's your decision" and that sounded like they almost had no real choice. They mentioned the Olympics, was that 1984 or 1988? And if 1984, that's kind of an interesting juxtaposition considering it was in L.A. and the Eastern Bloc (with the exception of Romania) did not participate.

12. pj1983

pj1983 Active Member

Dec 26, 2016
    BFE NoVa
    Agreed, the digging scene seemed a bit long. I was expecting them to be discovered by the roaming base patrol -- that welding torch must have been quite visible at night, even considering the depth of the work hole.

I think the Olympics mentioned were the 1984 Olympics. That year would fit better with the timeline of the show (last season was 1983ish, IIRC), and Oleg picked up a magazine at his house with "1984" on the cover.

13. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I figured it was probably 1984 (missed the magazine). I think they also mentioned Chernenko as the Soviet leader at one point. Not Gorbachev. So there is really about 4-5 years until the Iron Curtain crumbles. I believe they only have one more season after this one, so I don't think they are going to make it to the end of the USSR.

14. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Had to be '84, the finale last season had Henry watching the '84 Super Bowl.

15. efilippi

efilippi Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 24, 2001
    Mundelein, Il
    One thing that struck me by the hole scene was how meticulous and well planned it was. A half dozen men, silently working together, in shifts, to dig this very large, precise-seeming hole. Just showed how organized and disciplined they were. When they finally finished, interred their cohort in the box and covered it up, I had to blurt out 'who on earth would be so focused and dedicated that they would spend a night like that?"

Also liked the "no, we are the store that doesn't have fish. The store that doesn't have meat is across the street."

But like moms everywhere, she was delighted to have her son back, things aren't so bad here...

The kid on the bus to Yugoslavia or somewhere is Philip's son, right? More to come with him, no doubt. And I'm lost with the vietnamese adopted son storyline. Was that initiated last season? I don't understand what's going on there but Elizabeth sure makes for an attractive airline employee.

16. deli99

deli99 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2003
    Redondo...
    Yes, it was the '84 Olympics, and according to the Sepinwall review, the winter games in Sarajevo. So not much time has passed since the events at the end of last season.

17. mooseAndSquirrel

mooseAndSquirrel Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Whatsamatta U
    Right after my wife complained the episode was too choppy and bouncing from scene to scene, they then spend 10 minutes digging a hole. I love this show, but this was a really bad season opener.

18. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I don't think there was anything about that last season. Clearly they're running an op to get close to this Soviet dissident (the kid's dad) to figure out what he's telling the Americans and whether he needs to be eliminated. The adopted Vietnamese son is just their way of having the fake son befriend the Soviet son so they could have an excuse to meet the Soviet parents.
    Given that Phillip's son, Mischa, is on his way to Yugoslavia, it will be interesting to see if the Sarajevo Games play any role, or if they're just using that as a time marker to let us know when the events of this episode/season are taking place.

19. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Yep that makes sense. I know the end of last season was winter, but I can't remember if this season was (but with the kids in school, then yeah, it would have to be not summer).

20. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I should mention (and it's off topic) is the other best thing about this being back, is I noticed the commercials for Fargo coming back in April and that's another of my favorite shows :)