The Americans S01E01 "The Pilot" OAD 1/30/13 SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Timbeau, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Jan 31, 2013 #1 of 116
    Timbeau

Timbeau Well-Known Member

May 31, 2002
    VT

Advertisements

I thought this show was "ok". I really liked the leads Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys, I'm not sure about the plot. It seemed really good until the FBI agent moved in next door. That seemed too unbelievable to me but I felt better when he broke in to the garage and was satisfied that their car wasn't used in the kidnapping.

2. Jan 31, 2013 #2 of 116
    efilippi

efilippi Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 24, 2001
    Mundelein, Il
    I just posted this in the earlier thread, so:

Perhaps a new thread should be started now that the pilot has aired? My wife and I enjoyed it tremendously. Very gripping story, likeable characters, action, pretty people, memorable soundtrack, rotary phones... Loved it and can't wait for next week.

I like the way the characters are written. The husband and wife are both very likeable yet they do very unlikeable things. But I still sort of root for them. And when dad took the trouble to find the mall rat and eke out revenge, yikes.

3. Jan 31, 2013 #3 of 116
    Timbeau

Timbeau Well-Known Member

May 31, 2002
    VT
    Going after the mall rat and killing the hostage really showed just how emotionally invested in his family Phillip is. Elizabeth seems not quite as tight, I wonder if she'll eventually come around?

4. Jan 31, 2013 #4 of 116
    markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    I wanted to like this show, but I'm on the fence.

I did not find the characters terribly likable - no connection for me. I'm not clear if I should be rooting for or against them.

I am curious if the long arc of the series will be their conflicting softening to America and possibly their ultimate defection, or simply the continuous chess game between the US and Russia. Maybe they just needed to set so much backstory, than advance the story in Ep 01. I'll give it a few more eps.

Production quality on FX seemed very poor. The dark scenes were very flat and noisy. Thought it might be my TV contrast settings set too low, but not.

5. Jan 31, 2013 #5 of 116
    DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal

Advertisements

That's the rub, though, right? And in that respect it's fairly similar to Breaking Bad, and to a lesser extent, Mad Men.

As for me, I liked it quite a bit. I like the conflicting emotions it gave me. Good cast, great soundtrack (I'm always a sucker for 80s music), good action pieces. Plus, it was fun to see Felicity kick some @$$, and then talk about putting her finger in someone else's. :D

6. Jan 31, 2013 #6 of 116
    markp99

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    Oh, and I cannot separate these guys in my mind:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

:D

7. Jan 31, 2013 #7 of 116
    markp99

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    In Breaking Bad, I could actually relate to Walter a bit, mostly doing what he did initially for his family, but then having it get out of control...

I do agree on the 80's music. When's the last time you heard TUSK played in a TV Series? :up:

8. Jan 31, 2013 #8 of 116
    justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    That sounds like an endorsement to me. :D I tend to like shows that have unlikable main characters. The Shield, Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad, etc. I haven't watched this yet, but will sometime today. I'm guessing I will like it quite a bit.

9. Jan 31, 2013 #9 of 116
    Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I recorded the show after seeing commercials for it. To be honest, I don't have a clue what the show is about. I couldn't tell from the commercial and I've heard nothing about the show.

After watching, I'll have to come back to the thread. :)

10. Jan 31, 2013 #10 of 116
    Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    I liked it, will give it a shot.

11. Jan 31, 2013 #11 of 116
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    At times he was Chuck, at times he was Captain Jack, and at times he was Dutch.

I guess that makes him a good spy! :D

The coincidence of the FBI guy who's investigating him moving in across the street is way, way too much. At one point I wondered if he was another Russian sleeper. But if he really is FBI, please please please let him have been moved there because they're already suspicious.

12. Jan 31, 2013 #12 of 116
    efilippi

efilippi Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 24, 2001
    Mundelein, Il
    Residential areas in DC that are accessible to normal working people with families are not so common that another government worker moving in near by should'nt come as a huge surprise. Probably a large percentage of the people in the neighborhood have business with the government in one form or another.

Anyway, a bit of a coincidence, sure, but not enough that it caused me to scoff and drop out of the story.

Now one thing that did bother me was keeping the guy gagged in the trunk for what appeared to be a number of days. It must have smelled quite rank in that trunk yet the helpful hero had no problem opening the trunk and grabbing the jumper cables. With no more than a 'shhh' to the trussee.

13. Jan 31, 2013 #13 of 116
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    But how many of them are investigating each other? And accidentally moving into the house across the street from the person they're investigating? Of all the streets in all the neighborhoods in the DC area?

No, I call BS, and suspect there's more to it than coincidence.

14. Jan 31, 2013 #14 of 116
    justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I really, really enjoyed this show. I hope it stays this awesome.

I agree with the complaint about production values. It appeared grainy and underlit. I suppose this was intentional, but it will be another show where I crank up the brightness on my tv to watch.

[edit] this show is reminding me quite a bit of the last season (or two?) of Breaking Bad. We've got sympatheic bad guys against good guys who _aren't_ the stereotypical dumb good guys. I am looking forward to seeing the smart bad guys and smart good guys battle it out.

And Keri Russell. I like seeing her, too.

15. Feb 1, 2013 #15 of 116
    madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    That's exactly what my wife and I said as well. Seriously, the guy's been in there all that time and he's not had access to a bathroom... just walking into that garage should have let anyone know what was going on, and opening the trunk... Ugh.

16. Feb 1, 2013 #16 of 116
    crazywater

crazywater USS TiVo NCC-1780

Mar 7, 2001
    USA
    It was ok. I'll watch again to see if it gets better.

17. Feb 1, 2013 #17 of 116
    billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    My only worry with these types of shows is they have to really strain believability to keep the tension going for episode after episode after episode. How many times will they just barely escape detection?

18. Feb 1, 2013 #18 of 116
    MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    This show is a takeoff of Homeland in more ways than one.

That's the "is he/she or isn't he/she" thread.

Production meeting:
    "How 'bout if make it Russkies instead of Muslims?"
    "And the FBI rather than the CIA."

The FBI agent "Carrie" who just happens to be in counterintelligence moved across the street - and I buy that it's a coincidence becuase he isn't showing any signs of having knowlege of the "Americans."

A gold Olds was spotted at the kidnapping and the neighbors just happen to have one... that smells of ammonia. And what about that head-sized hole in the drywall in the garage?

How about Mom and Dad saying, "So are we going to kill him?" out loud with the kids nearby? Kids have ways of listening in. Look for a plot where junior plays with a hidden spy camera or microphone.

They just need a Saul. They need actors as good as Claire Danes, Damien Lewis and Mandy Patinkin, who have the talent to be saving the recent crappy script.

I think the script is good enough to carry on. I'm willing to suspend disbelief if it makes sense within its world, and so far, it does.

19. Feb 1, 2013 #19 of 116
    Martha

Martha Member

Oct 6, 2002
    South Carolina
    We really liked it.

I "get" the Homeland comparisons, but to me it's a difference in perspective. In Homeland, I'm pulling for the good guys; in Americans, I'm pulling for the bad guys - at least at this point. I don't want them caught. Yet.

I guess John Boy will be the new Saul if we're doing comparisons, though.

Plus, I'm definitely going to enjoy the soundtrack.

20. Feb 1, 2013 #20 of 116
    BradJW

BradJW Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Houston
    If the FBI guy is a coincidence, I would've preferred it have been some lowly FBI guy that might work for the blonde guy, rather than the blonde guy himself. The blonde guy seems too high up the totem poll. I'd rather it be someone lowly that could much more slowly piece things together.