The Americans | "Pastor Tim" | 2016-03-23 S4E02

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by markymark_ctown, Mar 25, 2016.

1. markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town

Advertisements

There's a cold war between Stan and Phillip...

2. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm still thinking Gabriel is trying to get rid of them with that disease.

Was it necessary for Philip to beat up the security guard on the bus?

It also sounds like Philip is considering an exit strategy from "the life".

Pastor Tim's days are numbered.

3. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    He didn't beat him up, he killed him. Phillip probably would have been able to bluff his way through it, but the pilot was too nervous.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  4. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Why did Philip have to go to New York to pass on the package? They couldn't get a courier into D.C. ?? Seems risky for him (Philip) to transport it further than necessary.

5. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey

Advertisements

I was wondering the same thing. It's little things like that that lead me to my thoughts in the previous episode thread. Having that "package" in their possession with a flaky contact who refuses the package and having to travel to NYC to transfer it leads me to believe that the Soviets don't entirely trust P&E and are looking for a way to make them disappear. I think Philip eluded to it with his "should we run" comment.

6. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    They cannot have many compromised pilots on their asset list -- certainly not one in every city. If they were willing to use this one, who was far from reliable, it is not surprising that he would have to travel a ways to reach such an asset.

But it seems like there should have been a better way to do it. Doesn't the Center have some path to get contraband out through a diplomatic pouch?

7. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    So the "keep it in the freezer" thing was only a suggestion I guess? At no point in this episode did it look like the sample could be anywhere near freezing temperatures.

8. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Even if they did need to go to NYC, it seems strange to me there was no discussion at all about how going to NYC might not have been ideal. Not before Philip went. Not after he came back and tells Elizabeth it was a disaster. no "I knew it was a bad idea". Nothing. It's like it all went down locally. Except it didn't. They seem to totally ignore it. It's just weird.

9. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    That does not strike me as nearly as weird as the fact that they would use a compromised pilot to get it out. I still don't see why they could not get it to the embassy and then out that way.

10. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    They had it in a cooler with ice when it was in the wall...

11. TAsunder

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Sure, an insulated lunchbox with a small amount of ice. Nowhere near freezing temperature. In reality, I would assume that it wouldn't need to be kept below freezing -- fridge temps are probably fine. On the other hand, all the time it spent out of the cooler probably has ruined it by now, if refrigeration is actually all that important.

12. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    It will be really interesting to see what they decide to do with Pastor Tim now that Paige has told them she spilled the beans. That threw two different wrenches in their plans, because 1. now Paige will be much more likely to suspect them if Pastor Tim ends up dead, and 2. it shows that Paige doesn't have the constitution for keeping secrets and is not likely ever going to make a good asset for the Centre.

13. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    So.... anybody else want Paige to accidentally drink the toxin?

14. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    Another way of looking at #2 is that she is so "loyal" to her parents that she can't keep anything from them (ie showed where her priorities are).

15. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    More like Paige was fearful for Tim's safety (as evidenced by her nightmare), and knowing that Tim was up in the cabin, grew suspicious when mom told her that they had to "work" that night, so she confessed because she figured they already knew and by letting them know that she knows they know, she could prevent them from taking him out.

I think it was a calculated move on her part. A whiny, selfish, bratty, calculated move.

16. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    No, that was Elizabeth's nightmare, not Paige's.

17. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Possibly, but we'd need to see more from her to know if she told her mom because she felt guilty for betraying the family or did she tell her mom because she simply isn't able to keep secrets very well. Is this experience going to make her more likely to keep a secret next time, or is she going to spill the beans just as quickly?

As John said, that was Elizabeth having the dream. I think Paige is so naive at this point that she'd never even consider that her telling Pastor Tim might put him in harm's way.

Speaking of Elizabeth's dream, when she turned over Pastor Tim and he was dead, then he changed into someone else and attacked her. Who did he change into? I didn't recognize that person.

18. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Ah, my bad.

So maybe Paige isn't calculating.

I still stand by whiny, selfish, and bratty though. :)

19. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    So Stan is basically friendless. He's lost his wife and his son doesn't talk to him. His angry outburst toward Philip has damaged that relationship. He's burned his relationships at work and now Agent Gaad is can't even mask his disdain for Stan during their meeting in this episode. Stan tries to connect with Oleg by expressing sympathy for the death of his brother, and Oleg walks away stating that they're not friends.

All Stan has left is Henry, the neighbor boy who has a fetish for older women, and in many respects, Stan seems to be about on the same emotional level as Henry. I think Stan's isolation is going to factor into some kind of big blowup that is bound to be messy.

20. TAsunder

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Wasn't that the KGB trainer that raped her?