The Americans "Munchkins' OAD 5/18/16

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Regina, May 18, 2016.

1. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana

Advertisements

As I said before...now for the last time...
    Goodnight John-Boy :(

2. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I was surprised how badly they handled that approach to Gaad. It seems obvious that they should have started out by sending just one person to him in a public place, just to talk for a few minutes, to see if he is disaffected enough to consider working for them.

But to send three guys into his hotel room in a threatening way was just foolish. Either kidnap him quickly, or approach him gently. Don't threaten him. I guess all their competent spies are in the US.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  3. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I thought the Gad scene came completely outta nowhere... no build up and then very short for such a big event...

4. brebeans

brebeans Member

Sep 5, 2003
    I agree, sort of . The fact that Gaad was still in the "previously, on The Americans" segments still had him involved in some way.

I do think the Russians should have entered, put out the proposal, if possible and then he could have run, attacked, etc. Let's face it. There was no way out of there for him, I don't think. I don't think they would have left if he had said no.

But, overall, I think it fit in fine. And, I like that they're keeping the Martha story alive with her father. You know that Philip is going to call her parents and, something will come out of that.

Nice Pastor Tim twist....although we knew that Elizabeth and Philip weren't involved.

I got a bit confused with his work that involved his high school "girlfriend". I knew they'd get back to that at some point, but I was confused about their discussion that she found out that her dad was in the CIA. Was Philip surprised that he told her? Worried? Happy? I'm not sure.

Lastly, Elizabeth is surely being tested and having feelings (however slight) that are more like Philip's regarding her apprehension and emotion on getting Young Hee's family disrupted.

Still, a great great show.

Oh, yeah, I I loved Paige's reaction when she hugged the pastor's wife and then when the wife broke down right into Paige's arms....well her acting and the look on her face was priceless and perfect for a "15 year old".

5. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009

Advertisements

He was thinking about Paige. This girl told someone about her father being a spy, like Paige told someone about her parents being spies.

6. desulliv

desulliv Member

Aug 22, 2003

Yeah. Not the way that's handled in the spy vs. spy world. If they wanted to recruit him they would have done what you described--one-on-one assessment and cultivation. As a trained counter-intelligence agent he would not have run or attacked. He would have heard them out and tried to identify their assets and mission.

7. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    :(

Agent Gaad

I totally forgot about the high school chick.

8. brebeans

brebeans Member

Sep 5, 2003

Ahh.....got it. I was focusing on the plot, his reasons for his "friendship" with her, the bug in the briefcase, etc. Didn't "go" to his father role to Paige during their conversation.

Thanks.

9. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Did Philip know that the girls dad was CIA or just worked for the State Department? If he didn't know, that could certainly complicate things.

10. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I'm pretty sure they picked Kimmie as the target because they wanted access to the father because they knew he was CIA.

11. frombhto323

frombhto323 Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Washington, DC
    He knew, but just pretended to not know. He was also a bit alarmed that Kimmy would just casually tell him that, so he cautioned discretion, probably because he is feeling it hit close to home with his family's ongoing saga with Paige.

12. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    It's also a personal threat. If the dad finds out she's been telling people, he's going to want to know who.

13. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Did anyone else hear a smartphone buzz in the beginning of the show while they were at the dinner table? A cast or crew member probably left their phone on. It was that double buzz sound like when you get a text on an iPhone. I just thought that was a funny sound to hear on a show set in the 80's.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  14. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I was so curious I just re-watched the opening - the dinner table through the conversation with Paige.

I didn't hear a smartphone buzz.

Maybe it was actually a smartphone near you?

15. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Heh. Sometimes I get the reverse...a cellphone goes off on the TV and I reach for mine.

16. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Seriously, seriously disappointed they took the easy way out in the Pastor Tim situation. ANYTHING but them being found alive....ugh.

Also, VERY out of character for Lizzy to tell Gabriel "yes" about finding another way in. I don't care how much she likes the family, that just seemed very out of character. Otherwise a decent episode...

17. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    How else did you expect it to play out? If Pastor Tim isn't found or shows up dead, the Justice Department gets the tape that Alice made and Philip and Elizabeth have to run and that's basically the end of the show. Having him be found allows that tension created by someone knowing their secret to remain intact.

But now Paige sees the very difficult situation she created by telling Pastor Tim and maybe she'll be a little more open to the idea of "eliminating" him if the situation gets too tense again. After all, her other option is to go to Russia with her parents.

18. TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Now with 2.6% Fewer Organs TCF Club

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    I hope before the season is over we get an update on Martha.

I picture her sitting all alone at the kitchen table of her Soviet apartment, crying into her bowl of borscht.

19. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    There was plenty to play out...maybe there's a tape; maybe there isn't anymore. Maybe Phil and Liz off the lawyer to get the tape (if it still exists). Maybe they kill both the pastor and his wife as many first theorized (but let's wait until the baby is born). There were lots of other options on how this could play out. It was a silly, easy way out for the writers, and I hated it.

20. Dawghows

Dawghows Liberal Elitist

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    I disagree. I think we're just seeing the first cracks in Elizabeth's ice.