The Americans "Jennings, Elizabeth" S6E9 5/23/2018

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, May 24, 2018.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

The penultimate episode. Looks like everything is in play now.

Nobody does "on the edge of your seat" chase scenes like The Americans. Even that short one with Philip... wow!

Want some Ukha?

2. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Seriously, Paige... your mom having sex with an intern is what triggers your conscience?

LlamaLarry and VegasVic like this.
  3. TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    I think that this is the trigger for Paige to realize that Elizabeth has been less than honest with her about the extent of her activities. Prior I think Paige "wanted" to believe that her mom was not capable of the "dirty" work of sex or, worse, assassinations. Paige now realize that if her mom would sleep with a college kid (and destroy him in the process), she was capable of anything.

Man, Stan is so close. I am a little surprised that Pastor Tim didn't give them up (especially since he doesn't know that Paige is to a willing participant.) He is probably still scared for his life.

Poor Oleg, a patriot to the end. But, his life is over now. Even if the turns and the FBI arranges a spy trade with the USSR, what would he come back to? Yes, he is on the "winning" side, but he will be an outcast. Wonder if there is a way Stan and the FBI could arrange to get is wife and daughter to the US?

I was expecting Claudia to try and shot Elizabeth. While she remained calm, Claudia looked like she wanted to kill Elizabeth.

Should be an exciting final. I still don't know what is going to happen. I fully expect (and want) that final confirmation between Stan and P&E. But, with P&E oil the run, will they escape? What happens to Paige & Henry.

4. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Paige has this blue-sky image of spying. Like Spy Kids. Learning that her mom does use sex as a tool, after her mom said she didn't, was the straw, together with that kid's life being destroyed. Elizabeth was actually right in her rage response--Paige has no idea what it was like for Elizabeth growing up, she can't imagine the horrors her mom faced. Paige is ill-equipped to be a real deep cover spy, and it's showing.

Pastor Tim had been warned that if he said anything, his life would be in danger. While he knows who "Stan" is, he may not be sure that's really him, or may think it's a trick to see if he'll spill the beans. The smart thing is to STFU and act stupid. He did it well.

LlamaLarry and VegasVic like this.
  5. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA

Advertisements

Dollar Bill!!

super dave likes this.
  6. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    That last scene with Elizabeth packing up her 'go bag' shot though the outside basement window?

I don't think so.

Why does Philip meet with the priest out in the open like that? Why wouldn't they meet in some secluded location where Philip had an easier escape route?

LlamaLarry likes this.
  7. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Phillip did not know the priest was being watched and that the lead priest was going to flip until he told him then you could see Phillip freak out. They probably figure out in the open its easier to keep on walking if the other person signals something.

8. TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Now with 2.6% Fewer Organs TCF Club

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    I'm terrible at facial recognition, so I didn't realize it at the time, but it's Tatiana (based at the Rezidentura) who Elizabeth shoots dead to protect Nesterenko from assassination.

About Pastor Tim: I wonder if P+E deliberately sought his counsel in his role as Pastor so as to require that he give them legal cover - sort of like attorney-client privilege. Maybe this is why Stan came up empty in his phone call to Pastor Tim in Buenos Areas - because he couldn't say anything. Of course, there's always the threat of a KGB bullet to the head that kept his mouth shut, too, I guess.

You have to feel sympathy for Oleg. He tried to do the right thing, but now might end up in federal prison for quite a while.

I hadn't thought of this, but Alan Sepinwall makes the point: The Jennings family is likely never to return to their home across the street from Stan. By extension, I guess the travel agency can now close up shop, too. The whole Jennings house of cards is collapsing.

Stan's Googlefoo is pretty terrible. He only tried one spelling of Philip!

LlamaLarry likes this.
  9. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I had the same thought: "You mean their secret lair where they keep all their secrets and hold all their secret conversations and develop all their secret photographs has a window to the outside that anyone could be looking through?!?!?"
    Both he and Elizabeth have met with Father Andrei before. They have never had any reason to believe that they're being watched. So this meeting was no different than any of the previous ones until Father Andrei spilled the beans that the other clergyman may have flipped.

So Stan said Renee's interview was "next week." The events of this episode make it seem that things are closing in RIGHT NOW. So it's possible the events of the finale will take place before Renee's interview and that may end up being a great big nothingburger.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  10. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    SEQUEL!

Americans 2.0-Now it gets real!

DevdogAZ likes this.
  11. TampaThunder

TampaThunder Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2003
    Tampa, FL
    Right after Claudia put the pot of food down and sat she had her hands hidden under the table. I fully expected her to pull out a gun and try to shoot Elizabeth but Elizabeth being quicker on the draw. I mean every spy always has a gun taped to the underside of the table right? ;)

12. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I wonder what Elizabeth was hoping to accomplish by going to Claudia and telling her what she had done. Did she really think that Claudia was just going to suddenly "see the light" and go on the run from the KGB, simply because Elizabeth told her that she had informed the Gorbachev supporters what was going on?

Also, I loved the conversation between Stan and Aderholt - that's exactly how we all anticipated such a conversation would go if Stan brought it up before he had any kind of physical proof, which is why Stan hadn't brought it up before. I wonder what Aderholt will say when they get back the pictures of the meeting between Philip and Father Andrei and they can clearly tell it's Philip.

13. milo99

milo99 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Falls...
    This is what i dont get. Phil wore a disguise so he shouldn't be worried about being identified. If he is, why would he have used such a bad disguise rather than a better one?

So why is it go time? He got away, so why cant he go home? What am i missing?

14. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Yet another awesome episode. This show is firing on all cylinders. So gonna miss it when it ends next week.

Jennings are on the run after Philip got made. Paige calling her mom a whore! hehe. Why did Elizabeth keep lying to Paige about it? Should have come clean there. I think things would have turned out differently. Elizabeth had already warned Paige about the dangers of using sex as a tool. Could have gone back to that and told her this is why. Showed how it's complicated and Paige wasn't ready.

Is Stan gonna help Oleg in anyway with the drop?

Good to see Pastor Tim brought back into the fold. He didn't cave, but I am not sure if Stan totally bought it.

Is Henry gonna come home to a house with no one home and no way to contact mom or dad or his sister?

I didn't watch the previews. I don't really want to, either. I just wonder if the final show occurs in the immediate future or if maybe they got away for a bit only to be found some point months or years down the road. If that happened, Renee's future at the FBI could at least pay off. :)

15. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Let’s repeat - the senior priest is gonna flip and tell the FBI about what he knows which would include Phillip and Elizabeth as local KGB agents. Yes it’s possible they took pictures and stuff but it’s the priest intel which is the most damaging.

16. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    Pastor Tim has been living outside the country and exposed to more anit-U.S. propaganda, so I wonder if maybe he just naturally wasn't that keen to cooperate with the FBI.

17. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    No soup for you, Elizabeth! (Or whatever that was)

I'm guessing that Henry can forget about Senior year at that highschool.

She was so upset about her mother's 007 sex life, just wait until Paige finds out that Elizabeth has a kill count that John Wick would be proud of.

What database was Stan checking for info on P and E and the travel agency? It had no entries for Elizabeth Jenning, one for Philip Jennings and none for the travel agency. I know the plot point is going to be that Philip stole a dead black guy's identity but that's a serious leap from a single search result. I also have a hard time believing that the travel agency isn't a legitimate business. It should have brought something back. Unless Stan was checking some sort of criminal database but why check the travel agency?

It'll be kinda funny if/when P and E eventually get caught how Stan explains living next door to and being best friends with a pair of Russian spies to his superiors at the FBI. Aderholt might have some 'splainin' to do too.

18. milo99

milo99 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Falls...
    I didnt get the impression that the other priest had anything on, or knew anything about Philip, just Andrei. Or are you saying Andrei would flip?

19. milo99

milo99 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Falls...
    I thought it was a criminal database. So i didnt understand what he was looking for. They would be clean with no records. But besides that, their names are not exactly unique.

20. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    There probably won't be a Paige and Henry spinoff. Paige would be miserable, whiny and friendless. Henry would make a cameo every fifth or sixth episode.

TampaThunder, DevdogAZ and Tony_T like this.