The Amazing Race

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by worachj, Mar 19, 2017.

1. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    Check your season passes. The new season of "The Amazing Race" starts on March 30th. My old season pass is not picking up the new season because the guide data has it listed as "The Amazing Race 29".

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    My Directv DVR is picking it up just fine.

3. headless chicken

headless chicken Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Yes, I came here to report the same thing. Tweeted TivoSupport...wonder if they will correct the issue in time.

4. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I'm curious, is this one of those older TiVo-based DirecTV DVR, or a new DirecTV-based DVR?

I know if it's the newer ones (for example, the Genie), it uses DirecTV guide data, which has -zero- to do with TiVo's guide data. I have both TiVos and a Genie, and the difference in the guide data is night & day. DirecTV curates their data far beyond what TiVo users are used to.

5. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    It's a Genie, and yes, I know it has nothing to do with TiVo's guide data.

astrohip likes this.
  6. 59er

59er TiVotee

Mar 27, 2008
    New York, NY
    Rovi is THE WORST. Thanks for the warning.

7. jasonander

jasonander Member

Jan 9, 2005
    I tweeted @TivoSupport about this and they replied to create a new OnePass. Sigh. It's as if they just don't even care anymore.

8. headless chicken

headless chicken Member

Oct 8, 2004
    I don't think it's "as if" they don't care. To me its become abundantly clear that the new Rovi regime sadly does not give an F.

9. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    This is not Tivo/Rovi's fault. The Amazing Race will not record for some people because they changed the title of their show to The Amazing Race 29. When the numbers come out, maybe they will figure out the problem and change it back.

Similarly, I don't want my Tivo to record Chopped: Kids Edition or Chopped Canada, ... None of the Chopped spinoffs interest me.

Mikeguy likes this.
  10. headless chicken

headless chicken Member

Oct 8, 2004

That is simply not true. The title of the show has not changed. Rovi decided to create a new show ID and call it TAR 29. It appears as the 29th season of The Amazing Race on other data providers and CBS' own website.

tvschedule.zap2it.com/tv/the-amazing-race/EP00446853?aid=tvschedule

The Amazing Race - CBS.com

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  11. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Thanks for the reminder. I might have missed it. It wasn't set to record.

12. chicagobrownblue

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    And you think Tivo/Rovi handcrafts all that info? For all the markets in the country? They get their information from someone else. You are yet another one of those people that expect perfection and anything less is unacceptable. I check my To Do list because I know things happen and I fix them when necessary. Are you so stubborn that you won't create a new One Pass?

Mikeguy likes this.
  13. headless chicken

headless chicken Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Prior to Rovi's takeover Tivo was very much on top of their guide data. Issues with multiple show IDs have risen considerably ever since the company changed hands. Since you claimed this erroneous guide data is not Rovi's fault, where else is the show being called "The Amazing Race 29?" Nowhere that I can see.

We pay for Tivo service, it is not free. When I pay for a service, I expect to receive what is advertised, which is (allegedly) the best digital video recording service available. Missing records left and right because I am checking the To Do list daily and diligently *is* unacceptable. That's the whole point of the Tivo, in case you missed it.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  14. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    I never used to have to redo season passes before. It's annoying to go backwards.

15. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yes, the guide data is worse, but I'm pretty sure there HAVE been times you've had to remake a SP/OP.. some of the reality shows on MTV possibly?

16. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Wouldn't know. Haven't watched MTV in like 25 years. I really can't ever recall having to remake season passes before the recent couple seasons of Survivor and Amazing Race.

17. chicagobrownblue

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    This forum has a first posted thread of Jan 13, 2006, i.e guide data problems have been around for more than a decade.

18. chicagobrownblue

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    My Tivo is lifetimed, they do not get any more money from me but providing my service does incur a cost on their part. I think this was a bad business move on Tivo's part.
    And it is. I keep Wishlist items for friends to alert them to programs that they can then manually record from their DVR.

The only show I missed on Tivo was, ironically, the season opener of The Amazing Race. I watched it on CBS.com.

I worked in software QA. Higher ups were always trying to cut my staff and the developers would bash my department. But, as soon as a new software build was deployed, I tested it, booked three issues and then went home. "How do you find these problems so fast?" was a common question from all. (inside voice): Because there are so many of them .

19. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    But I guess what some people say is, it's the volume that's gone up, considerably.

20. chicagobrownblue

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Understood, but mistakes are one thing, daily misses of shows, I'm skeptical.

Mine hasn't changed. There is no detail for some locally produced programs which is more common now than before the merger so Tivo records them. My 3TB drive makes superfluous recordings OK.