The Amazing Race S32E11 (OAD 12/9/2020)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by madscientist, Dec 10, 2020.

1. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA

Advertisements

Yeesh. I just can't understand how teams don't re-read the clue once they seem to get into a little bit of trouble. It almost seems like you could make the final three (barring out-of-your-control problems like bad taxi drivers and mechanical failures) if you just had an iron-clad rule that you would re-read every clue slowly and carefully the very first instant you weren't sure what to do next, and that you would watch every demonstration, when offered, fully and completely before trying to do it yourself. I know it's stressful and I know peoples' minds are running in circles, but how many times just this season have we seen people implode for dumb reasons?

I wonder what happened at the high-heels race. The boyfriends arrived at the start line well before Hung and Chee, but Hung and Chee took off first. That was weird: I wonder how that flip-flop happened.

I was definitely disappointed that the three top teams collaborated together at the end, although I do like the beard bros and they were one of the teams that never even thought to re-read their clue. It seemed like, if they weren't being helped, it would have been a race between the footballers and beard bros as to who could figure it out first and I would have been bummed if beard bros was out.

Lost a lot of respect for the footballers. It definitely sucked to be colluded against like that but, oh by the way, don't you think the other teams that were not part of the Mine Five felt exactly the same way when you did it to them?

First, to just give up like that was lame. They were close many times! Hell, they could probably have tried every combination in 2 hours especially once the other teams left. Obviously they were going to lose either way but still. There were clearly rules that you had to go back to the truck after every attempt and that both teammates had to be present at the attempt (else someone would have stayed back to listen in), but I wonder if there was also a timeout you had to wait between attempts.

Second, the conversation at the mat was just embarrassing for them, for Phil, and for the entire show. Very sad.

Zephyr likes this.
  2. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    I wonder if they said F it at the start of the challenge if the 2 hours would have allowed them to come in first. I'm willing to bet it took longer than 2 hours to do that challenge.

kettledrum likes this.
  3. spear

spear Member

Oct 11, 2006
    According to a Filipino fan who watched the challenge, the first three teams took about 1.5 hours to do the challenge, so taking the penalty immediately wouldn't have worked for Gary/DeAngelo. Also, they didn't serve the full penalty -- they probably just told them to go to Phil after the other teams had checked in.

4. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Sure the football guys were close a few times but they didn’t know they were close. They weren’t told “you got 3 right” or “you got 1 right”, just that they got it wrong.

Within the rules yes but I don’t like alliances.

kettledrum and Zephyr like this.
  5. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA

Advertisements

Normally I don't find alliances this annoying, but as a viewer this season has been very unsatisfying to watch because of the alliance.

6. tigercat74

tigercat74 Lets go Bengals!!!!!

Aug 7, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I don’t like alliances on this show and I didn’t like how the Williams acted at the end so this might be my least favorite season ever. Will have to think on it.

Andrew_S, ThePhoenix and heySkippy like this.
  7. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    This is the first time in all the seasons of TAR (I've watched all of them, US version anyway) that I can remember an alliance being this impactful. And with that, I think they need to rethink allowing teams to actually TELL other teams how to handle a challenge. It's really an unfair advantage for teams to team up like that. And now that teams see it's so successfully used, this is going to be the norm rather than the exception. I don't really like it. It's one thing to tell a team which direction a challenge is, it's another to actually TELL them what they need to do to complete it.

Also, why did Deangelo have to such a jerk and sore loser? Maybe that's the competitive nature of an NFL player, but that was just horrible. I kind of liked the team and especially early on they were kind of fun. But I think the alliance had a direct effect on him. I bet he felt he was being ganged up on.

Andrew_S, VegasVic, stellie93 and 2 others like this.
  8. ThePhoenix

ThePhoenix Brr. It's Chile here

Feb 13, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I agree that the alliances have made this season much less enjoyable than any season I’ve ever seen. This is one of my very favorite shows and it’s the first time I’ve ever felt annoyed by a season, including any time I didn’t like the teams who remained at the end.

Andrew_S and LlamaLarry like this.
  9. kewpie

kewpie Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Philaburbia
    That music challenge seemed impossible! The circus music seemed pretty distinctive, but when they intermixed clips of the band playing versus the original songs for the other ones, some of them didn't even sound similar.

10. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I wouldn't do well on TAR because 1. I have ABSOLUTELY no sense of direction (other people say that but for real-I got lost on a one way street once and almost ended up in a different state on the way home from the mall) and 2. I am a picky eater (other people say that but for real-I have never eaten a peanut butter and jelly sandwich because EEEEW) and I could not do any weird eating challenges.
    Which leads me to my point-this is the first season in a while that I haven't seen an eating challenge. Dang-maybe I could have been on this season! :p

11. MauriAnne

MauriAnne Mostly lurking

Sep 20, 2002
    NC
    I was surprised that they didn't edit that conversation at the mat differently. It seemed they could have not shown that all that negativity. It will be interesting to see how DeAngelo acts at the finish line next week.

Andrew_S, LlamaLarry and Regina like this.
  12. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I did like how Gary tried to temper (pun intended) DeAngelo's response by saying that when they talk about it later, they will reminisce about the good times they had, etc. They both seemed to have a great attitude going in, and got along great with each other. But at the beginning of this ep, when they were saying things like, "If you're not first, you're last" etc. I kind of got a feeling they were going to be out.

13. Gerryex

Gerryex Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Land O...
    I thought that as well but then when they re-read the clue and realized that they had to place the flags in the order they encountered them in the race and NOT in the order they were being played then it was much easier. Since there were only 4 pieces of music all they had to remember what the order they were in the race and did not have to actually recognize what the musical pieces were. Just where in the race did they hear any music.

I have watched almost all the seasons and while I'm not too crazy about alliances this season didn't bother me too much. What did bother me is that the group of 5 went down to 4 and of course the leg before the finale HAD to go down to 3. So one of the 4 in the group had to be eliminated. So i thought the NFL guys were sore losers. If another team was eliminated and they stayed they of course would have nothing bad to say about eliminating another team. And what one of the NFL guys said at the pit stop really drove home that he was a sore loser!

14. kewpie

kewpie Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Philaburbia
    OK, I take that back. Maybe I should have said "impossible to do in the intended way" rather than figuring out two of them and trying every other possible combination. :p I mean I get using the rock band as a nod to the popularity of music in the Philippines, but the songs just sounded SO different from the originals the way they were played.

15. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    They edited it to make DeAngelo look worse imo. Here is the unedited version:

16. MauriAnne

MauriAnne Mostly lurking

Sep 20, 2002
    NC
    Thanks for sharing that clip. It presented quite the different view of DeAngelo than what they showed in the episode.

17. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    Agreed. Seems he didn't have fun, but it also wasn't as bad as he was originally edited.

18. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    They got into it more on Rob Has a Podcast. DeAngelo really hated that he got to go to all these countries but then once they got there, raced to the pit stop, then they were stuck in their rooms and not allowed to go out until the race started again and they left. So he felt like he didn't get to really experience any of the countries. He hadn't seen the show before.

kettledrum, zyzzx and stellie93 like this.
  19. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I didn't watch the end after I knew they were leaving. I never do. But from what I heard I thought he was screaming and shouting and cussing...Evidently not. Nice to know he's a nice guy.

Steveknj likes this.
  20. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    Wow I wonder why they edited it to make him look so bad.