The Amazing Race S32E10 (OAD 12/2/2020)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by bryhamm, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Dec 3, 2020 #1 of 18
    bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area

Advertisements

I don't get why the brother and sister were saying that it was a dumb move. I guess just frustration coming out. Turned out to be a saving move for Gary/DeAngelo since it kept them in the race.

Pretty smart by the volleyball players to do what they did. Will be curious to see if AR eliminates doing that in the future. You should not be able to u-turn someone you KNOW has already come through.

verdugan, VegasVic and Steveknj like this.
  2. Dec 3, 2020 #2 of 18
    NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    Agreed. Voiding a U-Turn is a lame option. The show should remove the teams to U-Turn from the list once they past through the U-Turn.

verdugan and VegasVic like this.
  3. Dec 3, 2020 #3 of 18
    getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    It was a dumb move because Eswar & Aparna are a weak team who didn't have a top-3 finish on any prior leg. Ideally, you would want to keep them around rather than Hung & Chee or Will & James, who have won a combined 5 legs so far.

The risk of U-Turning one of the other 2 teams is that they may have already passed the U-Turn and chosen not to use it, but I would consider that a low-risk at that point in the race. The fact that the U-Turns hadn't been used yet should have been a good indication that the other teams hadn't been there yet.

The smart move would have been for the first two teams to U-Turn the two teams who did the gardening task, which would have virtually guaranteed one of them would go home.

As it played out, they may have made the choice that kept them alive (although, editing always makes things look closer than they really are), but it was still the wrong choice for the best strategy at the time. Burning the second U-Turn was also a bad move from the brothers, but it did virtually guarantee Eswar & Aparna would be the ones going home -- bad strategy, but they accomplished what they wanted.

I don't have any problem with allowing teams to burn a U-Turn. They have allowed it in the past, so I don't think the show has a problem with it either.

4. Dec 5, 2020 #4 of 18
    Mr.Broncosfan

Mr.Broncosfan Mesa, AZ

Sep 1, 2008
    Didn’t the production come to a halt because of COVID or am I thinking of a different show? We were looking forward to seeing how they handled it, but looks like they’re just about down to the finals.

5. Dec 5, 2020 #5 of 18
    hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...

Advertisements

This season (32) was filmed a couple years ago. They did halt filming on season 33.

Mr.Broncosfan likes this.
  6. Dec 5, 2020 #6 of 18
    MauriAnne

MauriAnne Mostly lurking

Sep 20, 2002
    NC
    The current season we're watching was completed in 2018. way before COVID was on anyone's radar. They had started filming a new season at the beginning of the pandemic but they were forced to cancel after completing filming of 3 episodes.

7. Dec 5, 2020 #7 of 18
    getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    This season was shot 2 years ago and was completed long before COVID was a thing.

They were in the process of shooting the next race (season 33) in March when production was halted. I believe they had completed about 3 legs when production was shut down.

It is unknown what they will do when production finally resumes. I'd guess it won't be until next fall before worldwide travel on this scale is a realistic option again, so I expect they'll just scrap what was already shot and start over again -- maybe with some of the same teams, maybe not.

8. Dec 6, 2020 #8 of 18
    stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Wow--3 quick answers to a good question. I was wondering about that too. :)

9. Dec 6, 2020 #9 of 18
    trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    They did have a brief video at the beginning of the first episode of the season in which Phil explained that this was all in the can before the pandemic started. I'm a little surprised that they didn't put a disclaimer at the beginning of every episode.

10. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    I read on the internet (so it must be true) that contestants in shows like this only get their prizes if/when the show actually airs. That would suck.

11. angbear1985

angbear1985 Τι ποτέ !

Aug 25, 2006
    Ohio
    Sorry - help me understand he U-Turn that the volleyball players used. Was it just to waste it? but - why? I didn't understand all that.

12. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's the truth. Whoever won has to wait until the last episode airs to collect the million dollars. That's why I told Will & James to remember that I'm a real estate broker who just opened his own brokerage.

13. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    I missed that you opened your own brokerage. Congrats!!!!!

14. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks! It's very new. Just a few months. I'm in the process of interviewing agents to join me. I heard from six people and I think I'm going to stick with two for now.

[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

stellie93 and hummingbird_206 like this.
  15. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    Yes, they burned it so that Eswar & Aparna couldn't use it to U-Turn one of the other two teams, thereby essentially guaranteeing that E&A would be going home.

They did it to protect their alliance partners. Strategically, it was a stupid move (it was also stupid for the NFLers to U-Turn E&A rather than one of the other teams) because E&A were the weakest team still around and Hung & Chee and Will & James have been much stronger.

U-Turning both H&C and W&J would have virtually guaranteed one of them would be going home, which is good for all of the other remaining teams.

The only way it would make sense strategically would be if they had a secret agreement to split the winnings if all three of the "core alliance" teams made the final leg, but that would be against the rules, I believe.

16. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    That's a tactic that's been used in the past and racers are well-familiar with it, so I'm pretty sure AR is OK with this strategy. You have to let people play the game, IMO.

I'm pretty sure they know how many teams are left by how many unopened envelopes are in the clue box. Earlier in the race where there's lots of people and some envelopes are gone you may not know who took the envelopes that are gone so it might be a risk, but here there was no question: when the footballers took an envelope they knew they were first to the clue box. And even if they weren't they knew where three of the five teams were.

That is massively against the rules. If you get found out (on any show like this) you automatically forfeit all money.

Whether it makes sense strategically is not clear. The alliance has worked so far, pretty well. Obviously it's getting down to the end but it might still make sense to work together to get rid of the footballers. If you u-turn H&C and the boyfriends then that alliance is dead. I think the Beard Bros have to feel confident that they can beat the other teams with the number of first places they've had. Of course, it only takes one bad day as they almost found out with their boat troubles.

17. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    In the past, teams had to declare their intention to use a U-Turn/Yield before they could open the clue box and find out how many clues were left. This time, it looks like the clues were just sitting out in the open beside the U-Turn board, so yes, Gary & DeAngelo should have known they were first at that point.

Also, in the past, they used to put extra clues in the clue box to make it unclear as to how many teams were remaining, but again, that seems to have been dropped at some point.

Yeah, I guess if they felt that the NFLers are their only real threat and they can work with H&C and W&J to get the NFLers out on the next leg, then it does make some sense to do what they did. It might also keep Gary & DeAngelo thinking that the Beards are their allies ... until they get stabbed in the back.

18. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    That's true and I was thinking the same thing.