The Amazing Race S32E05 (OAD 11/11/2020) - You Don't Strike Me as a Renaissance Man

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by MikeekiM, Nov 12, 2020.

1. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

As promised...I am catching up... I am just not CAUGHT up yet... :)

Here's the thread for the 11/11/2020 episode... I'll be here shortly to contribute!

2. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    The new "not knowing how to drive a stick shift" is "not knowing how to read a paper map."

3. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Those are the first two lessons anyone on TAR should take, learn a stick and learn how to read a map. In the US both are becoming lost arts with very few cars even coming with a stick anymore and GPS replacing maps. But it's always funny seeing some team struggling with a stick, or thinking they know how to drive one but can't get the knack. FWIW I have no idea how to drive a stick, but if I was going on the show, I'd take lessons.

VegasVic likes this.
  4. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    Didn't Will say he took lessons? And he still had all that trouble? Maybe he can get his money back! :D

And that was cool of Leo to help them-if for no other reason to get them out of the way. Good race karma!

The pies! OMG! Even if you knew it was coming, the force was crazy! What a fun challenge!

5. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey

Advertisements

What's amazing to me is that they didn't drop the pies they were carrying. That was great.

6. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Leo didn't help them out of goodness, he just wanted them to get the hell out of the way. As soon as he was back in the car they were saying they hoped they got eliminated because of Will's issues. I wouldn't be sad to see Leo and his wife go. They're still holding a grudge after two legs? Let it go and run your race.

jeetkunedo and stellie93 like this.
  7. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    my recording didn't pick this one up. had to watch it online.

wow, 6+ hours of driving around.

8. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I have to admit, I still LOL a few times over the stick shift "problems," both Will and James trying to get out of the parking garage, and the blonde sisters later on. Stalling in the stop-and-go traffic. I learned to drive with a stick, and every car I've owned has been/is a manual.

How long must the Vietnamese sisters have been lost to have fallen behind the blonde sisters, who had the roadblock? It looked cold and dark by the time both those teams got to Phil. I'd really like to see the time when each time reaches the mat. I'm not usually paying much attention to their departure times at the beginning of an episode.
    That long? Yikes. I wonder if they had to stop for gas.

9. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    I always rent a stick in Europe. Cheaper and more fun. :) And I can even drive a stick with my left hand (UK/Ireland). :D

P.S. I haven't owned a stick shift car since 1994.

pdhenry likes this.
  10. spear

spear Member

Oct 11, 2006
    I stopped being surprised at racers who can't drive or read a map many seasons ago. I suspect you'd get a better chance of being cast if the producers figure out you're that kind of person.

They don't always show the departure times anyway. I was waiting to see how far behind the blondes were at the start of the leg. Instead, they just got lumped in with the group taking the second flight.

11. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    From our point of view that was weeks ago, but for Leo & Alana that was probably just a few days for them. Plus the same could be said for Will & James. Their attitudes toward Leo & Alana and Kaylynn & Haley from the first few legs seemed to come from absolutely nowhere other than they're catty. It seemed to stem from the truck decorating challenge and something seemed to happen that they couldn't let go of and just run their own race. If someone pointlessly U-Turned me and made me spend hours in the hot humid sun I'd probably hold a grudge too.

Martha likes this.
  12. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    When I was 16 my friend turned 16 and his mom bought him an El Camino, it was a stick and he had to learn driving that, he hadn’t perfected it yet and he had to go register it at the DMV and asked me to go with him. We drove down Monterey rd which is long and straight with lots of lights. He stalled it at every light. After about 4 times a guy pulls up to us at the next light and rolls down his window and says “next time you guys steal your dads car, learn how to drive it”. At 16 I looked 13 and he looked 12.

heySkippy likes this.
  13. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    I still vividly remember my mom taking 13 y/o me out to an old airstrip and teaching me to drive stick in her 60s VW Beetle. That's a skill I'll never surrender.

14. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    What is with the screwed up guide data on this? My TiVo recorded a suggestion marked new that was labeled episode 6, but it was just 5 again.

I can’t believe the blondes survived. How did the other sisters not stop somewhere in 6.5 hours of driving around not 2km from their destination! Also it is crazy how much alike the blonde sisters look... they aren’t even twins!

15. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    An episode got bumped for extra election coverage. We were originally getting 2 that week, but now the double episodes are 11/18 & 11/25.

16. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    That was last week, though. This week I got 2 episodes marked 5 and 6, but they were both 5.

17. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    Learning how to drive a stick in case he is ever on The Amazing Race is one of the "tips" I gave to my 13 year old on his birthday. He learned on my VR4 so he should be good to go. ;)

That was some seriously aggressive pie throwing! My favorite parts were when their hats dropped down and covered their entire heads.

I wish there was a little more detail on what happened to the sisters. It sounded like it was pretty close (I thought they originally got directions that it was 2km away) so I can't see how they decided to drive for hours.

18. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    They did! She even said something later on around when they showed the graphic that said elapsed time in the car 6 hours and 30 minutes that they were 2km away and driving for hours. How do you not stop again, perhaps multiple times?!

LlamaLarry likes this.
  19. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I forced my kids to learn to drive and take their drivers' tests on a manual transmission. They complained a LOT. We gave that car to my daughter when she got her first job, then a few months later someone hit her and the insurance company said the car was totaled so she went out to replace it with the insurance money... and decided she wanted a manual transmission again. So I win! :p

20. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I would probably fail driving on the show. I got so much anxiety and flashbacks to my old car watching the guy trying to get up the parking garage ramp.

Back in 2002, I bought a manual transmission car because it was the only one available in the color I wanted. Yeah, not a great reason... especially since I didn't know how to drive a manual. My SO had tried to teach me ONCE in his Jeep Wrangler, which had a horrible clutch for learning, when we first started dating in 98... it's a miracle that we are still together 22.5 years later. That attempt ended in a stalled engine at a light, tears, and switching drivers to get out of the road. The salesman assured me that he would give me a lesson once the car arrived (they had to get it from out of state), and he did take me for one in an abandoned parking lot and I did ok. The clutch was much more forgiving. But I was never comfortable starting on anything remotely resembling an incline. My anxiety about it got so bad that I put a sign in my back window saying I was learning, and started planning convoluted routes around town to make sure that anyplace I might have to come to a stop was flat, and eventually just stopped driving altogether.

I was so glad to get rid of that car 4 years later.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    stellie93 and justen_m like this.