The Amazing Race S32E01 (OAD 10/14/2020) - One Million Miles

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by MikeekiM, Oct 22, 2020.

1. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

Personally, I am still finishing off the current Big Brother All-Star season before starting to work though my DVR queue of other shows, like TAR S32...

But I wanted to set the momentum of individual episode threads and give everyone a spot to start the discussion... I'll catch up soon... In the meantime... Talk amongst yourselves...

I'll set up a thread for the second episode as well (which aired yesterday)...

2. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Still have the second one on the TiVo but watched this last week. It's so bizarre to see everyone just congregating like that, it makes me cringe!

Had to laugh at the self described "really smart" brother/sister team deciding to "hang back to avoid the crowd"... yeah that always works in a race!

Not enough info on teams to tell who's going to be strong or not, annoying or not.

3. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    It was fun. I found it really funny with the goat pulled the woman right onto the mat by Phil and she slid across it and fell down. :D Poor lady. It was funny though. And Phil seemed a bit freaked out about it and kept having to tell people to let go once they got close to the mat.

4. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    The editing was a bit weird at the beginning of the episode-- they were all taking off in the cars to LAX, and then next scene they were in Trinidad. Nothing in the airport, nothing with the flights. It was a little jarring; I thought I had accidentally skipped forward in the episode.

5. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana

Advertisements

I was surprised that the Olympic sprinter got so frustrated at the steel drum challenge-surely she knows that training/practice makes perfect, and you can't expect to be perfect right away!

I love the football dudes-they are so cute with each other-they know about teamwork and their team will be one to watch.

I loved it when (please forgive me, I don't remember her name, but she referred to herself as this, so) the Asian woman who came in second at the steel drum challenge said, "Oh, another Asian is going to win! He must have had piano lessons!" Cut to Chee saying, "Thank you, Mom and Dad for those piano lessons!" BA HA HA! Hung and Chee are certainly early front runners. They don't get frustrated and they do communicate well.

The bf and gf and the brother and sister who say how smart they are will surely be humbled by something-you know it, I know it.

I like the boyfriends too, they are adorable.

Looks like a fun group overall, I am sooooooooooooooooo excited that the show is back!

stellie93 likes this.
  6. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    One more thing-I didn't think it was fair for the bffs to be eliminated when the teams were still racing. I felt bad for them!

DevdogAZ and LlamaLarry like this.
  7. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    This is still my fav of the CBS reality shows. I like traveling and I like getting to see things I probably never will. Teams seem to be fun, but I don't see a team yet that I'm going to love to hate. That's fine though.

lynncosbm and VegasVic like this.
  8. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    Yeah, have they ever cut a team on a leg that didn't actually end before? Once they told the first team that they were still racing I definitely figured that everyone would keep racing.

Regina likes this.
  9. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    It was strange, but when Phil introduced the mat he explicitly said "the last team to finish WILL be eliminated", not the "MAY be eliminated" that they use when they want to keep the suspense. So, I wasn't surprised.

I also laughed at Phil yelling to let go of the goats. I definitely understand the racers' attitudes: if they don't tell you when to let go then you're not going to let go before you get to the mat, or maybe not at all! Who would risk having to run it over again?!?!

I think after the first racer fell on the mat, Phil or the producers should have sent someone down to the start line to explicitly inform the racers that they should let go of the rope after they have completely crossed the finish line.

10. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Ah... Finally watched the premiere episode last night...

I hate the learning curve of getting to know all the players in the first few episodes... I always feel like I should know them more quickly, but it always comes so slowly for me... This is not a complaint for TAR...but for every reality "contest" that throws a dozen to two-dozen strangers at me at once... I know it pays off in the end, but the first few episodes are always so uncomfortable for me...

I liked this episode, and it reminds me of what life was like pre-pandemic! LOL...

Hate the the two friends had to be eliminated... But there's always the first team that has to be unfairly eliminated...

The fish challenge was interesting, having to remember both color patterns and number patterns... I would have thought that someone would have assigned the fish finding to one person, and the unlocking of the combination to the other... Seems like an obvious strategy, but I guess not so obvious, eh? The asian couple who forgot to look at the fish and just decided to use the combination on all the fish seemed like a silly strategy, but they didn't come in last, and I guess that is all that matters...

As an asian american myself, I found it a little awkward that the Vietnamese woman who failed at the steel drums was so competitive with the Chinese couple... She seemed to take her coming behind them so personally...and I think she mentioned the fact that they were Asian at least a few times... Seems to be a thing for her...

I love the football guys... They read the clue and see the word "steal" or "steel" (I wonder if they spelled it one way or the other to influence them)... But the african american interpreted "steel" as a physical challenge and pushed his stronger partner into the challenge, and he apparently has no rhythm at all!!! LOL...

Good start to the season...

11. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Totally this. Didn't think it was fair at all. I was kind of glad when it looked like the first episode would be non-elimination so we would have more time to get to know all the teams.

12. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I agree... Sucks... These contestants commit a lot of time to get involved on this show...and while you can't help the fact that someone has to go first, they should give them a fair shake... And being able to give you a little scare mid-way through...and then allow you to continue to race just seems like the right thing to do...

DevdogAZ likes this.
  13. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    BTW, the way we are discussing older episodes of TAR is EXACTLY why I love episodic threads...

I am way behind, yet I can still be a part of the discussion...

That's not going to happen with "This Is Us", because I am way behind, and I won't touch the season-based, no spoilers thread until I have finished the entire season because I don't want to be exposed to spoilers... I love the way we are handling the TAR season... :)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    LlamaLarry, stellie93 and MauriAnne like this.
  14. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Yes, thank you for creating the individual episode threads. I've only seen the first two eps of the season so far, but I'm glad I'm able to discuss them here.

LlamaLarry and MikeekiM like this.