The Amazing Race - S31E09 - "Let's Split" 06/12/2019 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DevdogAZ, Jun 13, 2019.

1. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    At the beginning of the episode, as soon as Chris and Brett said, "If we run a mistake-free leg, we'll win," I knew they were going to run into trouble. And they were doing so well until they got to the snorkeling challenge. I'm really surprised the tasks were that different in terms of difficulty. My initial thought was that the poem/boat challenge would take longer, because every time you got the poem wrong, you'd have to go through the process of getting back on the tube, going back out of the marina, getting up to speed, then slowing down and getting back into the marina, etc. But man, the fact that people could try the poem seven times and still finish ahead of anyone trying the snorkeling shows the producers did a really bad job setting up that challenge.

I've heard Brett has a really funny podcast but I've never listened to it. I may have to check out the episode he does talking about this leg, because I just can't understand the thought process of changing tasks that many times, especially when you're already halfway through.

Other than that, good job to Nicole and Victor for not making too big of a scene when Team Fun cut in line and ultimately finding a better flight option.

Why did nobody understand how to row the boat to get to the mat? Victor was facing backwards, which is correct, but he had the stern of the boat facing the direction he was trying to go. No wonder they lost that race to Tyler and Corey.

KyleLC and LlamaLarry like this.
  2. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    Yeah, while the "needle in a haystack" challenges are always dangerous, this one seemed insanely hard.

One thing we don't really see is how much time is spent on these things. How long they did one before switching, how long on the second try, etc.

3. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    Dalmatians! Best greeter at the mat in my memory.

4. lambertman

lambertman LIVE! On tape

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    TAR Canada had the equally adorable Alex Trebek a couple of seasons ago.

jeetkunedo and DevdogAZ like this.
  5. debtoine

debtoine WTTWDC

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    I was happy for Nicole and Victor as well. I tend to root for people from my home state of Colorado, but Team Fun has been bugging me this season.

Looking forward to next week, as I always love when they go to...

The Netherlands

deb

KyleLC and jeetkunedo like this.
  6. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    My wife and I stayed a few days in Split a couple years ago. I love TAR episodes in places we've been. That church in the side of the mountain was way up the mountain. I was on a Segway with a guide and it was pretty close to the top. I declined a chance to climb the stairs to the platform they were launching the basket from.

DSC_2847

Beautiful city, beautiful country. Absolutely stunning.

kettledrum, lalouque and verdugan like this.
  7. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I didn't think Team Fun cut, per se. There were two agents, and two lines. It's just that one line moved faster, then the agent in the other line closed down (I thought that kind of thing only happened in American airports, go figure!) I did think it was great that Nicole and Victor managed to get an earlier flight, although in the end, with the delay in Hamburg, they would have arrived a bit before the others anyway.

The thing I find impressive about Team Fun is they have such a wide range of sort of odd skills AND they seem really good at choosing the right person to do detours and taking full advantage of those skills. I mean, Floyd doing the Roman Centurion challenge because he's a marching band geek? And nailing it first time, by himself? Crazy. I'll be interested to see if they have a major mistake, like they did last time they ran with Floyd trying to ride that bicycle.

They didn't show it, but it seems like Nicole and Victor must have had a bad taxi since they left before Tyler and Corey, but arrived at the boats after them. They made a comment like, "that was a slow ride".

I really can't understand how the coin search could have been so hard. I mean, no one did that challenge so shouldn't there have been tons of coins, and a bunch of cups? But they found one cup and 3 coins? They kept panning out and showing the area around the buoys with highlighted circles around them: did that mean they were making it too hard by looking in the wrong place? Or, did each team have to look within an area around a single buoy? I couldn't quite figure it out.

KyleLC likes this.
  8. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    yeah I forgot to go back and check that out.

I would have definitely picked the treasure challenge. I'm amazed he didn't go in a grid pattern or sweep over it in lines from the start.

9. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I think Nicole and Victor viewed it as one line with the next person in line going to the next available agent. And since they were the only people in line, that's a reasonable position for them to take. I also see where Team Fun thought each agent had a separate line, but at a minimum that's really rude to just show up and take the spot like that when they knew Nicole and Victor had been waiting.

KyleLC and tivotvaddict like this.
  10. verdugan

verdugan Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    To me it seemed that Nichole and Victor were lined up in front of an agent. If they really meant for there to be only one line, they should’ve lined up between the two agents.

Mikeguy likes this.
  11. tcristy

tcristy Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I think so based on both they way they showed the buoys highlighted and one of the guys commenting after they had found some things "I wonder if the items are just near the buoys." He must have noticed that they had only found stuff near them but they didnt stop and reassess based on that. I think they misinterpreted the clue to mean the buoys marked the perimeter of a large common search area when each buoy marked the center of an individual search area. TAR probably hid a chalice and 5 coins within 10 ft of each buoy. Still a decent size search area that might take an hour to find the stuff but not impossible. One of the good things about TAR is the field producers will let teams do the challenges completely wrong without interfering (including in the past letting them wander into unaffiliated houses searching for and trying to take stuff).

12. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Funny that the agent would shut down her desk and not let Nichole and Victor talk her into taking care of them first. Especially since there must be a bunch of cameras and such around the area that we can't see. Maybe it's a set in stone rule. ;)

KyleLC likes this.
  13. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    All of the agents faces were masked out, so I'd guess they weren't necessarily enthusiastic about being on tv or going the extra mile to help out the teams just because they were making a tv show.

14. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    She probably agreed to help the previous team even though her shift should have been over already. And it probably took a lot longer than we saw to look through all possible flight options. So she was probably glad to be finished and leave rather than having to go through it all again, especially if the flight was nearly full and the next team might have to search for other options.

stellie93 likes this.
  15. MauriAnne

MauriAnne Mostly lurking

Sep 20, 2002
    NC
    I did like it that all the teams weren't on the same flight. It was fun to see them looking for flights, dealing with lines, delays, etc.

I'm liking this season a lot.

stellie93, TriBruin and Mikeguy like this.
  16. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    I have missed this, from previous seasons. Finding good flights is a task in itself, and I prefer it to most "needle in a haystack" ones.

17. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I think it is very questionable whether Team Fun "cut" or not... From a "letter of the law" perspective, I don't think they cut... It did seem like they formed two lines (even though they were two lines of one couple)... If it was more obvious that there was one line that was being serviced by multiple agents (via a roped off cattle line or something), then it wouldn't have given them the flexibility of creating two lines in the first place.

But from a "spirit of the law" perspective...or from a common sense of politeness perspective, I do think they "cut". If it wasn't a race, and I was in that situation, I would have absolutely acquiesced to the couple who was there before me. It is the polite thing to do... "You where here first, go ahead"... Again, only if it were exactly this same situation where there are two lines of one... If it was obvious that there were two lines with multiple people in it, then all bets are off...

I actually hate when service desks don't make it obvious... I have been serviced by the same company with multiple service agents, and on any given day, the line pattern changes based on what decision that second person in line does. Do they get behind me...or do they stand in parallel with me?

To be honest, if I was Victor and Nicole, from the very get-go, I would have lined up in-between the two agents, just to send the social message that there is one line... Team Fun may have decided to ignore the social cue...but when faced with this vague queuing scenario, that is what I would do... If a someone decides to be rude and ignore the social cue, then shame on them.

As a racer, I would have done what Team Fun did... There is a timing factor (you want to get served before the others), and there is a scarcity factor (there are a limited number of seats)... So hell yeah, I will form a second line.

But as a viewer, I have to admit that their tactic didn't sit well with me. My perception is that they cut in line because the polite and fair thing to do under a normal social situation is to let the longest waiting couple go next. Particularly because there was no obvious signs that there were multiple lines like a grocery checkout.

I know...long story for a very simple observation... It just bothered me the whole episode, and I found myself rooting for Nicole and Victor as a result. When they got that earlier stand by, in my mind I was yelling "Yeah! Take THAT Team Fun... Karma's a b*tch!".

LOL...

KyleLC, kettledrum and tivotvaddict like this.
  18. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Oh... And in general, this was a tough leg!!!

I would have had a hard time with either the needle in the haystack challenge (chalice/coins), or the memorization challenge...

And I would have absolutely have had to partner up with someone else to do the challenge to replicate the soldier pattern.

Great season... Generally very happy with this season's execution... The only thing that stands out in my mind that should have been changed was the U-Turn voting... As I mentioned before, it should have all been done privately first...and then exposed publicly after everyone had a chance to write down their unbiased vote.

19. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    If I was Nicole and Victor I would have had one person stand in one line and the other in the other line. My wife and I do this, say at a movie where there are two lines for snacks when we're a bit late and want to get through and into the theatre. Then once someone gets to the front the other person abandons their line. It's one of the advantages of having a partner :).

20. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Good point! We’ve done that before too!

Despite clearly noting that they are a couple, I was treating them as solo “liner uppers”!

Yes, this would have been the perfect strategy!