1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Amazing Race S30E11/E12 "It's Just a Million Dollars, No Pressure" OAD 2/21/2018

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by MikeekiM, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Feb 22, 2018 #1 of 169
    MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Big Brother for the win!

In the end, Jessica, who was largely dependent on Cody for most of the season, comes through with the win...

I loved this episode, mainly because it ended in my hometown... I love when SF gets showcased in any show (I am secretly still waiting for a Streets of San Francisco reboot!).

Team Indy had a really shaky start, and you could tell right from the beginning that they had a level of impatience that I think could have cost them the race. They were so irritated when they were asked to take their photo with the Hong Kong city backdrop, and seemed equally impatient at the hairy crab challenge. To their credit, the switch to the restaurant challenge was probably a great time saver for them.

Cody's unsportsman like stare at the end of the first leg when they saw Team Yale at the finishline was a complete turn off for me... Yes, I was rooting for them...but still, the attitude was very distasteful IMHO.

Anyway, it turned out to be a pretty cool season overall... Great competitors... I didn't love the partner switch, nor the head-to-heads...but I give TAR credit for trying something new to change things up... I hope this season's ratings help them get a renewal for another season!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    murgatroyd, verdugan and jeetkunedo like this.
  2. Feb 22, 2018 #2 of 169
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Over. As often has been the case, a couple that I found less appealing, based on conduct towards the others, won. Having said that, there have been much worse, lol.

If it comes back, it would be nice to see more of an overall race contest, as in earlier seasons, rather than week after week of mini-contests seemingly done to keep contestants together and limit production costs. At least the finale puzzle really was that and required some actual problem-solving, as vs. the last season's "put big number cards in a number holder" puzzle.

One thing I've been finding of late: the show tends to make me anxious. Fewer people-affirming segments? Or, it could be my watching the show with TiVo QuickTime. ;)

But hey, here's an idea: an affirming Amazing Race season focused on challenges helping people . . . . I would like to see it back.

kettledrum likes this.
  3. Feb 22, 2018 #3 of 169
    loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I really liked this final episode. One of the few where all 3 teams had a real shot at winning. And I was OK with any of them winning.

I laughed when Henry had everything correct and then changed the tail before asking for a check.

mattack, Steveknj and NorthAlabama like this.
  4. Feb 22, 2018 #4 of 169
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    #congratsteamBB
    - I am so happy Cody finally got the win after having to deal with a rigged Big Brother season, I really went into the finale thinking there was no way Cody & Jess would win
    interesting to read some of the comments - i LOVE all that stuff from him

Steveknj likes this.
  5. Feb 22, 2018 #5 of 169
    justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Yeah! Congrats Jess and Cody! I've been cheering for Jess since BB, when she was alone and a total underdog being bullied hardcore by the other houseguests. Cody? He's a fellow vet, so had my support, even if he's an emotionally stunted jarhead. Jess is good for him.

Overall, I liked this season and the teams.

NorthAlabama likes this.
  6. Feb 22, 2018 #6 of 169
    lalouque

lalouque Quilter-Cat Slave TCF Club

Feb 11, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I didn't like this season. I believe the format of having each show be 2 hours with 2 legs was too much. And the fact that the team I really don't like managed to win didn't help matters.

kettledrum and Mikeguy like this.
  7. Feb 22, 2018 #7 of 169
    madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I would have been happy with either BB or Extreme winning. My big thing, as I said in the last thread, is how the teammates treat each other, not how they treat the other teams. They're in a competition for $1M for heavens sake, I expect them to be competitive and that means it's not all kumbaya moments.

But Extreme and BB have a great relationship within the team. Yale were not bad (far better than a lot of teams we've seen in the past!) but Evan talks to Henry like a kid sometimes, though to give her her due, I absolutely agree with her that asking someone a question, especially in a high-stress situation, and having them simply not say anything is really, really annoying and frustrating.

I'm happy with BB winning, they seemed like a solid team and I liked them: they complemented each others' strengths and recognized, and were OK with, each others' weaknesses. Not having actually watched Big Brother, my opinion of them was based solely on what I saw in AR.

I will say, that as soon as I saw the first cut-away interview to Cody and Jess when they were doing the plane challenge I knew that they won. It was just obvious from how happy Jess was that they didn't lose. She definitely should never try to play poker :p :)

justen_m likes this.
  8. Feb 22, 2018 #8 of 169
    madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Also, I really enjoyed this last leg. As mentioned above, it was competitive all the way through and everyone had a great shot at winning: too many recent seasons have had one team running away with it. This one was well-designed with segments that required physical strength, and other segments that required concentration and coordination.

9. Feb 22, 2018 #9 of 169
    chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Team Yale had the right configuration but Henry did not ask for a check. Henry also had a good idea to try to figure out what the images on each engine part mean while collecting them, but, never mind. Team Extreme laid out all the parts but somehow didn't or couldn't follow through. I thought this was a game winning idea. Jessica had always been impatient but it paid off for Team Big Brother.

And Team Indy. The final legs always include references to the cities, countries, flags, etc. and the order in which they happen. Make diary entries every day. Team Indy evidently didn't remember the Washington Square Arch but they did remember the Arc De Triomphe (I don't even remember if they were in Paris). They were tired and maybe not analytical enough.

10. Feb 22, 2018 #10 of 169
    JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    Actually the Hornet is in Alameda so it didn't "end" in SF.

It actually seemed like it was luck at the end not that she figured it out.

murgatroyd, mattack and kettledrum like this.
  11. Feb 22, 2018 #11 of 169
    type_g

type_g Active Member

Sep 9, 2002
    I was for Team Yale and dint want BB to win. But once BB got to the finish line and you saw the look on the guy as if saying NO WAY, YOU SERIOUS. he was in state of shock that instantly made me feel happy for them. He was genuinely shocked and happy to have won.

12. Feb 22, 2018 #12 of 169
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Great leg design that never allowed any team to get too far ahead and the challenge/puzzle at the end was difficult enough that it was almost a given that all three teams would be there racing against each other at the same time. Loved how tense it was.
    I wonder when Team Yale found out about that. Like, did production tell him he had it right at one point, or did he not know until he watched the episode last night?
    I thought it would have been smart to lay all the parts out on the deck and figure out what configuration would result in all 12 legs being represented without messing around with putting them all on the plane. That just used up unnecessary time. Once you identify the correct six parts, then assembly is a piece of cake.
    No, they never went to Paris so that was clearly a mistake by them thinking it was the Arc de Triomphe. But it was kind of tricky to have an image representing Leg 1 be from the starting line, since most people would consider Leg 1 to be Iceland. The final leg started with the teams leaving Hong Kong. Would it be proper for an image of HK to represent the final leg?

13. Feb 22, 2018 #13 of 169
    Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    UGH! So upset that TeamBB won-didn't care for them at all!

I was for TeamYale for most of the race until I noticed how passive-aggressive they both were-she was always harping on him and he wouldn't answer her questions-

So I wanted TeamExtreme to win-WOMP WOMP!

OMG-that freefall into nothing-NO THANK YOU! :eek::eek::eek:

kettledrum, VegasVic and lalouque like this.
  14. Feb 22, 2018 #14 of 169
    chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Yes and you could use a fortune cookie or a crab for the symbol. But Hong Kong was leg 11 and 12 -- numbers too big to enter on a single digit combo. I'm a mathematician, so the starting point could be leg 0 or leg 1 -- and I bet the producers went back and forth on this. But the final legs are tricky and very entertaining to watch.

15. Feb 22, 2018 #15 of 169
    heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Nice finish. I would have rather seen either of the other two teams win, but it was a strong final 3 and all were deserving to be there. I find it kind of amazing that the skiers never finished lower than 3 the whole race. I wonder how often that's been done?

16. Feb 22, 2018 #16 of 169
    laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I wondered if Henry knew he had it right or if he was seeing that for the first time last night. I would have been SO mad!

17. Feb 22, 2018 #17 of 169
    brianric

brianric Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    What I don't understand is why didn't Henry ask for a check, and if not cleared for takeoff make the quick change and ask for another check.

18. Feb 23, 2018 #18 of 169
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    Also glad they Team BB won. Not sure if I'll be back next season as the only reason I watched this one was because of Cody and Jess.

brianric likes this.
  19. Feb 23, 2018 #19 of 169
    Maui

Maui Major Lee Oblivious

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    Not thrilled with the outcome. I was with Team Extreme all the way, but each had bad tasks after being the only team smart enough to look up Willie Mays HR total before getting in their boat. I was hoping that the other teams would have to head back to shore to go find it.

As for BB I have respect for the way that Cody tackled almost every task (with the possible exception of the dance) but the fact that they could not even be cordial or congratulate team Yale on coming in second was pretty petty in my opinion.

20. Feb 23, 2018 #20 of 169
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Heard some interesting info in the exit interviews. The woman from Team Extreme who was doing the plane puzzle said that she laid all the pieces out on the deck and tried to solve the puzzle based on the pictures before putting them on the plane. But the problem was that there were obvious right and left wings, and the only way to properly solve the puzzle was to put two right wings (or two lefts, can't remember) on the plane. Since it never occurred to her that she could put one of the wings on backwards, that solution completely eluded her. In fact, she didn't finish putting the plane together and get to the finish line until about an hour after the others had finished. I'm kind of surprised they still allowed them to sit there working on it for an hour when the finish line was 100 yards away, the other teams had checked in, and they were paying for the crew and the lights and everything.

Also, Henry and Evan said that the first time they knew that they had all 12 pieces correct at one point during the puzzle was while watching this episode.

kettledrum likes this.