1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Amazing Race - S30E02 "You're the Best French Fry Ever" *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by gossamer88, Jan 12, 2018.

1. gossamer88

gossamer88 HDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    Not sure how you figure the the Diamond Glint challenge but man that looked tough. Also two height challenges in row. Think Cody is afraid of heights? Jess did both.

And how does the Yale couple do the obstacle course that many times and not have it memorized? I know fatigue played a part but that was pretty pathetic.

I'm rooting for Jess/Cody and wouldn't be surprised if they make it to the end.

2. MauriAnne

MauriAnne Mostly lurking

Sep 20, 2002
    NC
    I'm not sure what I think of the head-to-head competition. It can change the game significantly.

I felt sorry for the Yale team, and am glad they didn't lose.

I was sort of surprised that the people who dropped their clues on that height challenge didn't have to re-do the challenge.

lalouque and stellie93 like this.
  3. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    I would have hated that twist a lot if it had caused the Yale couple to go home. As it was, it did add some genuine suspense to the show.

I did get a laugh from the Indy car guys plotting the line. Late apex! :D

4. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    Definitely not a fan of the head to head.

The diamond challenge must have had some pretty tight guardrails if they were able to come up with exact matches for valuation. Unless it was actually a range of values that were "correct" and then they just used the one they "correctly" calculated in that range for the on screen graphic for the "actual value".

5. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yeah, I originally thought the diamond challenge was going to be something like "be within 10% of the professional estimate". But since it had to be EXACTLY, I guess they gave them diamonds with exact known weights with very obvious flaws.

I didn't mind the new head to head challenge, maybe because it _didn't_ go exactly how I expected. I expected it to be _close_ to first in first out, where if someone failed once then they'd win the next time against the now-newbie team because the repeating team had experience.

6. Maui

Maui Major Lee Oblivious

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    The head to head stuff was just a bad idea. Especially after they just had a non-planned head to head race to the mat the last week. It was especially bad since the guy wiped the girl out in the last race and spun her cart backwards. It was done at that point. The only saving grace is that it was a weak team anyway so they probably would not have lasted much longer.

Team Yale may be who I root for along with Team Extreme. I absolutely loved that we never heard a peep of negativity from Team Yale during all of those races.

kettledrum, VegasVic and murgatroyd like this.
  7. verdugan

verdugan Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    I paused it when they showed the worksheets. No guardrails needed.

Initial price based on carats. No ambiguity since they had a scale.

Then they subtracted (I think) 20% if there were impurities (flaws?) and another 20% based on color.

The math was very straightforward. The challenge was determining if they had to subtract for flaws and color.

8. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    On the Canadian version of the race, they've had head-to-head competitions (called Face Offs because everything in Canada has to be a hockey reference) for the last few races.

The one thing they changed for this was that the loser of the head-to-head was automatically eliminated. On the Canadian version, the final team left at the Face Off just has to wait out a timer before they can continue (and it's usually done earlier in the leg so the team has a chance to catch up). Because of the time penalty, the Face Off loser usually ends up losing the leg anyway.

I like it as an occasional twist, but you definitely wouldn't want every leg to end that way.

9. Martha

Martha Member

Oct 6, 2002
    South Carolina
    I didn't care for the head to head either, but I did laugh hysterically at Phil's complete lack of enthusiasm in his play by play calling.

lalouque, NorthAlabama and Regina like this.
  10. John Gillespie

John Gillespie Active Member

Oct 27, 2016
    Is this season in 4K HDR? I remember waiting forever for the show to be in HD and now the colors look extra "dynamic" in the opening credits at least.

11. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    If they had dropped the clues I'll bet they would have had to do some kind of penalty. However, they didn't: the clues fell off while the player was still climbing the ladder to try to get them. Apparently they weren't all affixed well enough to stay on in the wind once the players started climbing and jiggling the crane. The players whose clues dropped apparently still climbed to the top to show they would have gotten there.

12. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    I would consider those guardrails. I highly doubt appraisers use the same scales.

13. verdugan

verdugan Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    That's not the definition of guiderails, but I understand what you meant.

tivo266 likes this.
  14. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    It seems to me that Phil has some sort of wicked cold or infection to start this season-I hear it in his voice-I don't know if he's not enthused or just sick and/or exhausted-just my 2 cents. I am worried about our Phil!

FireMen2003 and Mikeguy like this.
  15. MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    The Tall City
    What makes you think they aren't the right scales? They look about right to me, and this page seems to agree with me.

verdugan likes this.
  16. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I also noticed his voice sounded super weird... more weird than the usual increasing fade of his NZ accent.

17. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    Poor word choice, I was referring to the graduation of the grading range - they had “deduct 20% if imperfections”, not scales that weigh things.

18. FrodoB

FrodoB Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Middleton, WI
    I didn't hate the head-to-head, but it does seem like a bit of a kick in the teeth if you happen to have a real lead to have to wait for a lesser team to catch up and then maybe steal your spot right at the end. I'm curious how far ahead the NBA guys were of Big Brother.

I think I'd like it more with two changes:
    1) Provide some accommodation for time of arrival (i.e. you auto-win a "heat" if you're up at least 10 minutes).
    2) Require both contestants on each team to participate simultaneously to minimize the possibility of a team with a "ringer" just getting to use their best player. Since it was just a "route info", if there's a second one there's no built in need to balance players.

19. ADent

ADent Active Member

Jan 7, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I would have liked it if they had to have 1/2 their weight in potatoes or something as a bit of an equalizer.

Also maybe losing 1 bag for each round lost would help Team Yale - but it wouldn't have made much of a difference on the last race.

Mikeguy and verdugan like this.
  20. brianric

brianric Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    Agree.

lalouque likes this.