The Amazing Race S19E02 "The Sprint of Our Life" 2 Oct 2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Amnesia, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Oct 2, 2011 #1 of 78
    Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA

Advertisements

How mean was is for Phil to let that girl cry before he told her that she wasn't eliminated?

Interesting leg. I wish they did more with the spelunking, but I guess they figured (correctly) that many teams would have to run back and forth to the orphanage so maybe they didn't have a ton of time...

2. Oct 2, 2011 #2 of 78
    MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    Where Texas...
    What happened in the last 22 minutes? I forgot that since I moved from the Pacific timezone to the Central timezone that football was going to screw up Sunday nights.

Last bit we saw was the first couple teams not noticing the sign to donate all of their money.

3. Oct 2, 2011 #3 of 78
    Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    The snow guys ended up first. The couple who was first last week (and got to Phil first this week) ended up complaining and being (IMO) unduly upset at the idea of having to go back and not be #1 this week (I think they ended up 4th). The "mom and dad" team ended up 7th.

The Survivor couple and the gay guy couple were eliminated.

4. Oct 2, 2011 #4 of 78
    laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    That was pretty much the rest of the episode... most of the teams not noticing and having to go back. Which sucked for Ethan and Jenna since 2 of the 3 teams behind them DID notice it and they did not.

5. Oct 2, 2011 #5 of 78
    Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA

Advertisements

Where'd you move?

I hope I'm wrong, but this seems like a thoroughly dull group of people thus far. The siblings standing in silence like idiots for what seemed like ages, then yelling at each other because of it? The woman in the engaged couple practically having a meltdown because they had to go back to the orphanage? Really, this is the best they could do? Seems like the show could've put forth a lot more effort given that this was its first time in Indonesia.

6. Oct 3, 2011 #6 of 78
    loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    What was the final count on how many teams noticed the sign at the orphanage? I'd guess just under half.

7. Oct 3, 2011 #7 of 78
    CatScratchFever

CatScratchFever Guest

Apr 14, 2011
    Prescott AZ
    The Vegas showgirls weren't so dumb after all being one of the few who bothered to read the sign. I thought that was a good twist, it really changed up the order and who went home.

8. Oct 3, 2011 #8 of 78
    laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I think only 3... the snowboarders, the father/son, and the showgirls.

9. Oct 3, 2011 #9 of 78
    markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    The brother/sister couple is annoying. Him especially. That bickering in the airport was nuts!

10. CatScratchFever

CatScratchFever Guest

Apr 14, 2011
    Prescott AZ
    I disliked the sister more than the brother.

11. SLJackson

SLJackson New Member

May 17, 2010
    The sister part of that team is very annoying.

12. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    Me too. But they both talk over each other because they're not listening.

13. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I thought it was an awful twist. The sign was very nondescript, had no race colors on it, and gave no indication that it was "official" TAR instructions. It was akin to the 'additional information' they received with their clues, but was NOT included with the clue. They were not told there was a sign. They were not told there were any additional instructions they had to follow. I thought it was incredibly unfair.

If they saw some dude on the side of the road with a hand-lettered sign saying, "TAR told me to give me all your money," should they be required to follow that as well?

14. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    Boy, that sign sure was a game changer. I bet they pay more attention to their stops from now on and not just blast through them as fast as possible.

I am with everyone else that the bickering siblings are my least favorite team right now. If I had to pick a favorite after 2 episodes? Probably the snowboarders. I generally like teams that seem to be more easygoing and don't fight amongst themselves.

I also found it amusing that everyone called the older couple Mom and Dad. I always root for older couples though I know they never win.

Lastly, I appreciate both teams going out with class. Sure every team is positive in the interviews after the elimination but I appreciate teams who show class on the mat and, even at the moment of defeat, realize what a great opportunity they were given.

15. wendiness1

wendiness1 WiiMomma

Jul 29, 2005
    Idunno
    Who else would the sign have been for? It wasn't for the orphans. Or the camera men or some random passer by. Race colors shouldn't be necessary. You have a table set up for the task. There is a message. Common sense would tell you to read it.

16. jgickler

jgickler Mr. Rolleyes

Apr 7, 2000
    Princeton, Iowa
    And the message was in english, not the native language. That should have been a big clue.

17. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    I liked that when they found out they had to give ALL their money to the orphans, they said something positive like "At least that's more for the orphans!" or something like that! They thought it was a good thing to give up all the money!

They are the team I am rooting for now!

18. Tracy

Tracy Truly

Mar 12, 2000
    Galena, IL
    I liked the sign twist. It was so obvious but not obvious at the same time. I also loved how the first three teams missed it and the snowboarders almost missed it, but then he turned back to say goodbye and you could see his eyes find the sign. Such a lucky moment! And they won a trip to "Island" for it!

19. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I just have a problem with them being penalized for not looking for something that they were not told to look for. The race has a prescribed set of rules, and the clues and other info they are specifically given are supposed to tell them what to do. The clue told them to give the money they earned in the task to the orphanage. They did that. They were then given a clue to the pit stop, telling them the next place to go, leading them to believe they completed the task correctly. This twist seemed designed to do nothing more than to shake things up arbitrarily, and was just a bit capricious and mean.

20. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I agree. In this scenario the orphans should NOT have given them the clue until they cleaned out their pockets.