The Amazing Race padding

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by smoberly, Sep 22, 2010.

1. smoberly

smoberly Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Plano, TX

Advertisements

It has taken me a couple seasons and a few missed episodes to remember to do this before the season starts.....

I always add an hour to the Amazing Race recording....it comes on after 60 Minutes, which comes on after football. It has been my experience that generally the football runs long, thus delaying 60 Minutes and The Amazing Race.

2. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    Thanks for the reminder.

3. cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Added an hour and a half for now...

4. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Thanks for the reminder, Adding 1.5Hrs is not a problem for the SD version that may become a problem if/when they make it in HD. it is not HD right?

5. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey

Advertisements

Just checked the listings for Sunday night and it looks like CBS has added a half hour onto the football program schedule. 60 Minutes starts at 7:30 and TAR at 8:30. Not sure if this will stick around all season or is a one shot deal because TAR is 90 minutes.

6. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    What are you talking about? It always starts on time for me.

;)

7. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    This is a one shot deal as CSI: Miami is now on Sunday nights at 10 starting Oct 3rd, so the line up will be 60 Min, TAR, Undercover Boss and CSI: Miami.

8. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    It would be nice for CBS to add that half hour to football every week.....

9. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Speaking as a maker of Television in the Mountain time zone, NO!

Extra half hour is really messing with our schedule, and if I was into worrying, would be giving me an ulcer right now.

Unless they figured out a better way of dealing with the red headed stepchild that is the mountain time zone, then it might be a good thing.

phox

10. SorenTodd

SorenTodd New Member

May 26, 2009
    And the last game of the night (SD vs Seattle) still ran 14 minutes over. CBS just can't buy a break, even with a 30 minute buffer.

11. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Why would anyone think it's a good idea to put a "Press Thumbs Up to Record" bug on any CBS Sunday night program ad? Just saw one for TAR.

12. phox_mulder

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Maybe it's a "special" one that includes an hour of padding on the back end.

phox

13. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I can't stand CBS with regards to football. I understand ratings, but is it really necessary to switch to coverage of every game still being played? They covered like three games which caused the over run even though the first two were over before the end of the football time slot. Meanwhile Fox ended and showed highlights and a weird version of The Simpsons to fill their time slot (intro followed by the final 5 minutes of an episode).

14. plateau10

plateau10 New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    I don't know about your setup, but in my case (simple OTA HD) it doesn't matter. Even though it's filmed in SD, my local station is sending out a 1080i signal. So I'm pretty sure it's going to take up HD-like space on my hard drive :mad: I guess if I had cable I could record an analog version, is that what you're talking about?

Why can't the affiliate switch to SD for a show that is SD? Sure, I guess in theory they've got better upconverting equipment than I've got, but it actually didn't look like it to me last night.

15. jtso

jtso Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Radford, VA
    And to follow up on this, a look at the ratings from Sunday night shows that CBS' football bleed-over was their highest rated program of the night.

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsideth...ly-wins-against-cbs-abc-strong-premieres.html

16. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Yes, I am on cable only. I lost my antennas a couple of years ago in a near miss of a tornado. The city ordinances won't let me put them back up :(

Just because the channel is digital does not make it HD check the recordings information screen for resolution and size.

17. a68oliver

a68oliver Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Crawfordsvil...
    I thought there was a federal regulation that prohibited such an ordinance. I am pretty sure it applied to dishes but I think it also applied to antennas.

Edit: There appear to be some exceptions, but see this for more info: http://www.neighborhoodlink.com/article/Association/FCC_Satellite_Antenna_Regulations

OK, I am now done hijacking this thread for off topic discussion..

18. phox_mulder

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    CBS doesn't provide an SD feed to the affiliates anymore.

We just pass what they give us, 4:3 content in a 16:9 frame.

Did anyone notice the new season of Undercover Boss is filmed/taped in HD?

Amazing Race can't be far behind.

However, it did take quite a number of seasons before Survivor became HD.

phox