The Amazing Race OAD 11/6/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by tiams, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Nov 6, 2011 #1 of 39
    tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Whatstheirnames deserve to get second and lose the $15,000 because they didn't have the sense to U-turn the snowboarders.

2. Nov 6, 2011 #2 of 39
    ebf

ebf New Member

Mar 21, 2005
    What's with the father and son U-turning the people they just saw come past them?!? Dumb.

3. Nov 6, 2011 #3 of 39
    etexlady

etexlady Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2002
    East Texas
    I dislike the snowboarders more and more each week. I wish they were not such a good team. What's with those weird sounds they make all the time?

4. Nov 6, 2011 #4 of 39
    MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    Where Texas...
    The father and son figured everyone would be confused like they were and head back to the taxi looking for the Jamaica Shop.

It was funny watching all but Ma&Pa and the snowboarders not know how to operate a canoe. It's more difficult then usual because the Malawi canoe appear not to have a center keel to help with the stability. So any mistake in operation was exaggerated and they did donuts.

5. Nov 7, 2011 #5 of 39
    robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I have no issue with the snowboarders, but I thought it funny listening to the couple complain about it being unfair for the snowboarders to win again, with the awesome prizes on the line why would someone let someone else come in 1st.
    I don't know, to me it looked like the snow boarders were doing a pretty decent job with the canoe.

It looks like the couple that lost to the snowboarders wisen up in the next episode, and a lot of drama is about to happen.
    I thought it funny the sailors looked like they were having problems with the canoe.

6. Nov 7, 2011 #6 of 39
    tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Is there a rule that says you have to have all of your belongings in your possession when you reach the mat? Cause the snowboarders threw their back packs down before they ran past whatshisname who was carrying both his and his g/f's packs. I think there must be a rule against ditching all your things otherwise people would do it anytime there is a footrace to the mat.

7. Nov 7, 2011 #7 of 39
    Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Afaik, nobody has ever been penalized for dropping their packs before stepping on the mat, so there is no rule that the pack must be attached to their person when they step on the mat.

So the smart thing is to dump the pack when there is a footrace. I don't know why some teams don't do that. But there have been many footraces before, and there are always some teams who keep their packs. I think they might be unsure about the rule.

I thought Ernie and Cindy were ridiculous: That was so mean!! :rolleyes: Seriously, it's a RACE. What about RACE do you not understand? They got $15K for getting to the mat first, why should they step aside to let you have it instead?

8. Nov 7, 2011 #8 of 39
    Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Is it unusual to have the U-turn right before the pit stop like that? I seem to recall it being earlier in the leg previously...

9. Nov 7, 2011 #9 of 39
    sburnside1

sburnside1 Active Member

Jan 28, 2009
    I thought they were dumb for wasting the pass. The snowboards most likely wouldn't have u-turned them. Even if they had, then they could have used the pass to skip the second challenge.

10. Squeak

Squeak Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 12, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    I thought there was a punishment for U-Turning someone that has already passed the U-Turn?

11. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    You mean besides endless mocking on Internet forums?

12. sburnside1

sburnside1 Active Member

Jan 28, 2009
    The punishment is that you wasted your u-turn. Next time the U-turn stand is up, they cannot u-turn someone. You only get to use a u-turn 1 time per season.

13. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I don't think there is any such rule. There's no rule that they even have to have packs. As long as they have their money and their passports, I think the show doesn't care whether they have anything else with them.
    I'm not sure where it's usually placed, but it is pretty lame for them to put it right at the end like that. It basically means that the only chance for a team that is U-turned is to hope that there are teams quite a ways behind, because if they're near the back of the pack, they won't be able to make up any time.

14. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    Hm, all the canoe's I paddled back in boy scouts never had a keel; they were all smooth bottoms. The back is how you steer it.. I was SHOCKED that the dad was trying to tell the son how to steer the canoe.. if he wanted to steer why did he get in the front?

I believe you can drop the packs, you just need to make sure you have your passports/markers from that leg on you. (ie your waist pack) As Phil has turned around a team before when they have forgotten/dropped/lost that little pack.

I too was shocked that the team that used the express pass didn't ask around the beach when they picked up their next clue. Instead they wandered all over the place.

People just aren't thinking.. it's always go go go go!

15. RandomTask

RandomTask New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    If I wanted to steer a canoe, I'd ride in the back where that is done.... ;-)

Regardless, for guys who are supposed to know all about sailing and navigation they're pretty stupid.

16. SLJackson

SLJackson New Member

May 17, 2010
    I couldn't believe that the sister waited so long before she headed back to get the clue!! I don't know what she was thinking.

17. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    There are some weird looking dugouts in other countries. The Malawi ones have so narrow an opening you can't even sit down in it, lowering your center of gravity and chance of tipping, nevermind any cargo which also would have a high center of gravity.

18. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    But in this case it was a double U-Turn. So if you get U-Turned you'd need to hope another team is U-Turned so you have a fighting chance.

19. wendiness1

wendiness1 WiiMomma

Jul 29, 2005
    Idunno
    I think the dad and son had their black teams confused. Amani (?) and her brother were behind them. The other black team in front.

20. martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Mighty high tech on that U-Turn board. Someone put some iPads to good use. :)