The Amazing Race Finale - OAD 5/8/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Maui, May 8, 2011.

1. May 8, 2011 #1 of 123
    Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    Well, I can't say I loved the final hour. Once again a team was basically done in by a crappy cab driver. I am not sure if it would have actually made a difference in the outcome but Gary and Mallory were way behind already at the first task and there was little chance for them to catch up.

Congrats to the winners. I noticed there was no recollection task this year so once a team had a lead there wasn't too much to trip them up.

And I felt REALLY REALLY bad for Zev and Justin during that waxing. The was cruel and unusual punishment to just come in last. I was cringing just watching it.

2. May 8, 2011 #2 of 123
    VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Yeah that waxing "challenge" was brutal. And I agree, on the final leg I'd like to see them drive themselves. They are back in the US, let them find their own way. Was Kisha (or Jen) using a cell phone in the back of the cab? I didn't think teams were allowed to have cells. I don't know what she could have been doing on it but I don't remember a team ever having a phone during the race...

Disappointed in the outcome.

3. May 8, 2011 #3 of 123
    TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Now with 2.6% Fewer Organs TCF Club

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    Sorry the season is over, but at least I won't have to hear Kiesha's annoying hyena laugh anymore.

Selling bathing suits AT the beach? C'mon Zev and Justin. Dumb move. :thumbsdown:

4. May 8, 2011 #4 of 123
    punky1337

punky1337 New Member

Sep 2, 2010
    I have a feeling the producers didn't have a "thinking" task at the end because of the teams that were left. Globetrotters and Keisha and Jen would have had no chance of completing that quickly.

Also, I am getting tired of this screwed by a cab driver situation. I mean come on what are the odds Gary and Mallory got into the 1 cab in the US who DOESN'T have a GPS?????

5. May 8, 2011 #5 of 123
    IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    It didn't work but it was the right move. If they TTY theother one, they would likely have stayed in last place. They had to try the other task and hope it was fast enough to move up a place. Pretty much hated all the task this time.

6. May 8, 2011 #6 of 123
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Total waste of two hours tonight....what an abysmal finish to a generally disappointing race. I'm SO sick and tired of ignorant cab drivers determining the finish of the last leg of races. And NONE of the tasks were challenging in the least. If next season doesn't improve, I'm done with TAR. The only saving grace was this race was in HD....

7. May 8, 2011 #7 of 123
    laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I might be imagining this, but I thought I had read something a while back that said they have them use public transportation or taxi on the final leg because it is safer... i.e. not have people who are hours away from winning a million dollars in charge of driving themselves safely and legally around.

I assumed it was the cabbie's phone. We've seen teams borrow phones from cabbies or random people off the street before.

8. May 8, 2011 #8 of 123
    Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    Then hire drivers in advance who know where the destinations are so that the final outcome has more to do with the racers and the tasks and less with the transportation.

9. May 8, 2011 #9 of 123
    ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    I agree it was a terrible ending. At this point, I am open to them hiring some drivers and giving them predetermined routes to the tasks for the final leg. The end of the race should be based on the ability of the teams, not random idiot taxi drivers.

10. May 8, 2011 #10 of 123
    laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    Not arguing. :) It sucks when people get screwed because of a bad cab driver.

I think it's too bad that everyone started keeping notes on all the memory type challenges and stuff, because I thought those were good, but once everyone started whipping out their carefully detailed notes, it was less interesting.

Some of the tasks today were definitely quite lame. What is the point of getting body hair ripped out for 15:00, other than give an amusing reenactment of The 40 Year Old Virgin? It was basically just filler... everyone was there the exact amount of time... that is not a "task".

11. May 8, 2011 #11 of 123
    Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    If I were in the final leg, after seeing it happen time and time again, I would spend a little extra time getting a cab driver who had GPS, knew how to get to the initial location and had a good grasp of the stakes. The cab driver means too much in the final leg to just take the next one available.

12. May 9, 2011 #12 of 123
    zuko3984

zuko3984 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2002
    I don't think they should use cabs in any of the legs of the race. I'm tired of having teams eliminated or winning because of dumb luck in either getting a really good cab driver or a really bad one. All transportation in the entire race should be by public transportation, teams driving themselves or by the show hiring drivers.

Between the cab situation and teams giving other teams the answers to tasks i may be done with the show if they don't change something to fix these two things.

13. May 9, 2011 #13 of 123
    martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    The recollection thing would be interesting if they weren't allowed their notes once they started it. Say, enter a maze, and have an encounter per leg where they have to pick the right thing out of maybe four. Not impossible, but challenging, especially without notes.

14. May 9, 2011 #14 of 123
    Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    I feel bad only a little for the "bad cab driver" problem as I don't think you can absolve the teams completely. They knew their destination before they left Brazil. We've seen teams researching the destination city on the internet before taking off in the past. They were on a 4000 mile plane trip, with what had to be at least a few Miami locals they could have asked. They stood in lines at customs/immigration. All were ample opportunities to get information they could give to the cab driver.

Now if they were flying into some place with a language barrier it might not work as well (though having detailed directions written in the local language would work ) But when flying into the final destination city they're headed to where people speak English.

So I look at instances like this not as a problem of being hosed by the lost cab driver, but getting in a cab and being at the mercy of the cab driver. When driving themselves the teams get maps and ask for directions. It might make them less susceptible to ignorant drivers if they didn't get in the cab even more ignorant.

15. May 9, 2011 #15 of 123
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    They knew their destination (Miami), but NOT the exact places they had to go in Miami. Grilling the locals without knowing where you're going within that destination is a waste of time....especially in a city the size of Miami...

16. May 9, 2011 #16 of 123
    SurvivorFan

SurvivorFan & TiVo Loyalist

Mar 9, 2011
    is it...
    Overall, I thought this was an enjoyable finale to an enjoyable season. Not a lot of drama and not especially memorable, but fun anyway. I'm not unhappy that the sisters won but I thought it was lame that they had bikes to ride the last 2 miles out to Pigeon Key. When I saw that was the final pit stop last week in the previews I had envisioned a 2 mile footrace along the old bridge.

Now I hope the producers of TAR give us a few seasons of fresh new teams and a break from returning previous season contestants.

17. May 9, 2011 #17 of 123
    laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    Huh? How did they not know? The first clue was at the marina, so getting to the marina must have been in the Brazil clue.

18. May 9, 2011 #18 of 123
    HoosierFan

HoosierFan Board game geek

May 8, 2001
    North...
    I don't know what was worse for Zev and Justin. Going through the waxing for 15 minutes, or having them stop only part way done. Did you see their chests? Aren't they going to have to have them finish it, or at least shave the rest of it off?

19. May 9, 2011 #19 of 123
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Agreed. I have to admit, I was laughing hysterically at that whole scene.

I agree, cab drivers determining the outcome = bad. Perhaps on the last leg, they should have to use Public Transportation. Buses and subways are generally similar enough that they shouldn't determine the outcome unless there is an accident or train delay which is outside the control of the teams. I kind of understand where driving themselves would be a problem if you are racing for a million bucks. If it were me, I'd be doing 120 MPH and weaving in and out of traffic to get there. Unless they are required to stay at the speed limit and obey all traffic rules, and if they don't they get a time penalty at the end.

20. May 9, 2011 #20 of 123
    laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I am guessing that if they limit it to places that have extensive enough bus and subway transportation, their pool of ending destinations is fairly small.