The Amazing Race FINALE, 12/12/10

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Inundated, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Dec 12, 2010 #1 of 103
    Inundated

Inundated Face For Radio TCF Club

Sep 9, 2003
    Northeast Ohio

Advertisements

Nat and Kat pull it off, Brook and Claire in second.

And Thomas and Jill's cab driver is somewhere in the L.A. area still saying "I have GPS".

2. Dec 12, 2010 #2 of 103
    Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    BWAHAHAHHAA! :D :p GPS = Internet, doesn't it?

Karma's a b*tch, or maybe 4 of them ;) That's all I have to say. :p:eek:

3. Dec 12, 2010 #3 of 103
    appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    It all came down to cab drivers this time.

4. Dec 12, 2010 #4 of 103
    chronatog7

chronatog7 Ill 'Gotten Gains!

Aug 26, 2004
    Miami, Florida
    I just programmed my TOM TOM to have Google search.

"I have GPS!"

Looking forward to Unfinished business

5. Dec 12, 2010 #5 of 103
    Inundated

Sep 9, 2003
    Northeast Ohio

Advertisements

Again, Thomas was the least favorite player remaining in my book...I didn't really care one way or the other about Jill.

But they did get zapped by the cab driver. They should have either ditched the guy earlier, or did what Brook and Claire did, have the cabbie take them to a hotel. He could have found THAT with his GPS.

:)

6. Dec 12, 2010 #6 of 103
    Fool Me Twice

Fool Me Twice >>>>>>

Jul 6, 2004
    Two good things about Nat and Kat winning:
    1. They were my favorite team.
    2. We don't have to keep hearing about a potential "first all female team" every season. (It almost would have been worth it to me to see the all-girl teams lose again, that annoys me so much.)

Unfortunately, foreign cab drivers determined the winner, so it was a pretty lame finale. The first two tasks were far too simple; impossible to make a major mistake.

7. Dec 12, 2010 #7 of 103
    Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I was rooting for Brooke and Claire but I can accept Nat and Kat. And, if somebody was going to get hurt by a bad cab driver then I am glad it was Jill and Thomas, although i HATE when cab drivers can determine the outcome of a million dollar race.

8. Dec 12, 2010 #8 of 103
    Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, it was a lame finale. I understand that they probably don't have contestants drive themselves in the final destination cities for liability reasons, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. :thumbsdown:

Jill and Thomas proved in this leg that they just weren't very good racers. Find a FedEx Office location or something similar, find a hotel...hell, there's an Apple Store in Pasadena too, for crying out loud! That cab driver seemed oddly protective about his cell phone, though, which limited their options somewhat. Which leads me to a question: can racers buy prepaid cell phones during the first leg and hold onto them to avoid that kind of fiasco in the final leg? Can they buy an unlocked GSM phone in their first foreign destination city and keep swapping in local SIMs as they travel? Or is this all against the rules?

9. Dec 12, 2010 #9 of 103
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    What's REALLY sad is that it was determined by foreign cabdrivers in AMERICA who can't understand English for crying out loud...how sad is that....:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

10. Dec 12, 2010 #10 of 103
    Inundated

Sep 9, 2003
    Northeast Ohio
    Good question.

They're usually in a hurry to get to the airport in the first leg, so that wouldn't work unless they buy one in an airport shop.

I'm guessing there is some sort of rule against carrying your own phone, which would make that moot.

11. Dec 12, 2010 #11 of 103
    Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    Brook and Clair's cab driver wasn't much better but they were smart enough to ask to be taken to a hotel where they could use the internet there, so I don't put it completely on getting a bad cab driver.

12. Dec 12, 2010 #12 of 103
    ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    I was kinda amused by the racers expecting taxicab drivers to be carrying a smartphone. Is finding an internet cafe really that hard these days?

:up: Looking forward to next season...
    [​IMG]

13. Dec 12, 2010 #13 of 103
    VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    I'm not really looking forward to next season. Most of those teams I can't stand and certainly don't deserve another shot at a million.

14. Dec 12, 2010 #14 of 103
    mike_k

mike_k Registered User

Sep 20, 2005
    Mason, OH
    I'd say it was Thomas and Jill's fault more than it was the cab driver. There were plenty of cabs to choose from, they should have spent 10 seconds to make sure the driver spoke English. The doctors spent a few minutes interviewing drivers, and it paid off. Add to that the fact that they took way too long change plans once they were in the cab. Their delays were their own fault.

15. Dec 12, 2010 #15 of 103
    VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    I really wish we'd get more real time information, I'd love to know how long some of these things really take.

16. Dec 12, 2010 #16 of 103
    Inundated

Sep 9, 2003
    Northeast Ohio
    I'm also looking forward to next season, and...

I'm not usually a fan of "all-star" seasons. I'm glad that if I saw right, I have at least three or four teams I can root for..not the least of which is Flight Time and Big Easy.

Heck, I'd have picketed CBS myself if the next season didn't feature them :D

17. Dec 13, 2010 #17 of 103
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I also hate when taxi drivers determine the outcome in the final leg. I'd like to see them go exclusively to cities with good mass transit and configure the tasks in the final leg to be accessible either via mass transit or via race-provided transportation (like the helicopters in this leg).

Given that all three teams were at the Rose Bowl at the same time, I'm kind of surprised that none of the three teams were at Quixote Studios at the same time. As much as we fans of the race love it when the teams get real clues that have to be deciphered (rather than simply a set of directions), this episode shows how those types of clues can really suck the excitement and tension out of a race situation when one team figures it out quickly and another takes hours.
    This.
    The interesting thing is that several of the teams they showed in that montage are not on the next season of the race. It was like they were mixing in shots of those that are on the next season with shots of several teams from this season.

Edit: The supposed teams for next season are (remember that Season 11 was the first All-Star season):
    From Season 12: Kynt and Vixen, Ron and Christina
    From Season 13: None
    From Season 14: Amanda and Kris, Jaime and Cara, Kisha and Jen, Margie and Luke, Mel and Mike
    From Season 15: Flight Time and Big Easy (Herb and Nate), Zev and Justin
    From Season 16: Jet and Cord
    From Season 17: Gary and Mallory

Which doesn't include all the teams shown in the promo at the end of this episode.

18. Dec 13, 2010 #18 of 103
    Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    That's a shame. I would have no problem with Brook and Claire (Moreso than Gary and Mallory) and Tiffany and Maria. I did not become a regular watcher until season 15 so I won't know most of the teams.

19. Dec 13, 2010 #19 of 103
    Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    I guess I can see how some people thought it was the cab drivers who determined the winner, but I'm not sure I'd agree.

First it was the team's own problem for none of them knowing Quixote. Knowing that would have allowed the driver to punch it into his GPS and they'd have been there. Me, I knew that and "7", didn't know Griffith Park, but it doesn't appear that was too important, unless there was more than one Quixote Studios.

Second it was up to them to figure out how to get the info if they didn't know it. None of the drivers knew it, so it was up to the teams to figure it out, which the doctors did. This wasn't like the times where the cab driver got lost. The drivers all took them where they wanted to go, once the racers figured it out. Blaming drivers for people who get in the cab before they know where they want to go doesn't seem fair. I will admit the "Internet?" "Yes, GPS" was pretty darn funny though.

I was very happy with the ending, the order being what I'd hoped for. Unlike other seasons though, there was no one I hated, which was good. I much prefer to cheer for people I like than against people I don't.

20. Dec 13, 2010 #20 of 103
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    There were several locations for Quixote Studios. That's why the second clue was so important. They had to go to Quixote Studios Griffith Park.
    Yes, I'll agree that Jill and Thomas are mostly to blame for their blunders in this episode. Once they realized they weren't going to get the info from the driver, they should have directed him to somewhere where they knew they could find internet access, like the others did. Just stopping at some run-down furniture store in the ghetto wasn't a good idea.