1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Amazing Race Canada - Season 5 thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DevdogAZ, Jul 20, 2017.

1. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I'm not sure if anyone in this forum watches TAR Canada, but I've really enjoyed it the last few summers. In some respects, it's even better than the original because it frequently has more challenges and they are frequently harder than the ones on the U.S. version.

In the first episode of the season, the teams started in St. John's, Newfoundland where they had to listen to and decode a message in Morse Code which told them to fly all the way across the country to Vancouver, B.C. , where one of the team members had to walk a tightrope suspended between two portions of the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, then the Detour was Pedal or Paddle, where they either had to play bike polo or row a dragonboat. Then they had to find Jon in the middle of a hedge maze for the Pit Stop.

The second episode took them way north to Fort McMurray, Alberta which was ravaged by a massive forest fire last year. The Roadblock required one team member to climb around a very large, suspended adventure park looking for clues. There were also three Express Passes hidden on the course, and they were all three found by the same team. They have to give two of them away. The Detour was Pump It or Pull It. Pump It required the teams to carry a water pump to a nearby pond, then figure out how to get it working, hook up a length of hose, and put out a fire burning on the other side of a field. Pull It required teams to hit 15 clay pigeons with a .20 gauge shotgun. Then they had to complete a complicated math problem to determine how much fuel a helicopter needed to carry given a certain set of variables. Then a helicopter took them to Miskanaw Golf Club where they had to run around the course to find Jon.

The third episode had the teams flying back to B.C. The teams were given Chevrolet Bolts to drive and the team that arrived at the pit stop having used the least amount of electricity would win $5,000. They flew to Castlegar, where the first challenge had required the team to inspect a sample campsite, and then go to ten other similar campsites and determine the difference in each from the sample. Then they had to deliver bags of coffee beans on foot in the very hilly town of Castlegar. Then they had to drive to the town of Nelson where the Roadblock required one team member to swing from a bridge and drop into the water, retrieve a clue from a buoy, and then swim the rest of the way across the river. The Detour required the teams to choose between Strike It or Throw It. Strike It required the teams to form two coat hooks out of metal, using a blast furnace, hammers, and an anvil. Throw It required teams to make two cups out of clay on a pottery wheel. They then had to locate Jon on a beach beside a river.

If anyone else here is watching, I'd love to discuss the show.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Mikeguy likes this.
  2. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    Is there a way to get it that isn't shady?

3. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    That's a good question. I'm not sure. I get it through "other" means, but I would think that CTV would be thrilled to have people in the U.S. watching it, even if they didn't pay for it. There are lots of built-in product placements, so even if you view a version with the commercials removed, you're still being exposed to the sponsors' products.

4. osu1991

osu1991 Active Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    You have to use a vpn set to a Canadian ip to watch it off CTV and only the most recent episode is available without Paytv credentials. Other means (torrent or direct download) is the most common.

I've been watching since season 1 but I'm usually several weeks behind at any one time. I get behind by the time I watch Australian Football and now Canadian Football has started too along with anything else from U.K.,Ireland,Australia and Canada that I may be watching.

Mikeguy likes this.
  5. osu1991

osu1991 Active Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Canadian version is very good along with the first two seasons of the Australian version. Some of the early seasons of the Asian version were good too. Canada is probably the best now followed by the US.

6. Worf

Worf Active Member

Sep 15, 2000
    I just watch it off the local TV :). (I watch TARC - we do have a few Canadians on this board!).

The real irony is right when they were doing the Fort McMurray leg (episode 2), BC was undergoing its own massive wildfires (they're really big this year, and for some communities, they came right after massive floods a couple of weeks before (we got a spell of really hot, really dry weather, and that can turn waterlogged forests into tinder dry look-at-it-funny-and-it'll-ignite conditions).

Personally, I get a kick out of the Vancouver segments, because it's right where I live and work. And I always wonder when they film because I never see those TARC boxes. (And to put one in front of Gassy Jack, a local tourist trap!). Or how people called cabs when I know you can walk it (and it'll be quicker). Then again, they filmed it under blue skies, and that's pretty much evidence it was filmed on a sound stage here! :D

7. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    According to Wikipedia, it was filmed between April 26 and May 24 of this year.

8. Worf

Worf Active Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Now we know it's fake... our winter/spring has been the dreariest (least amount of sun - yes, it's a weather term) in a long time. Clear blue skies? Fake news until late spring/early summer when it really dried up. It's one reason why Vancouver is very popular among the sci-fi crowd - the weather just makes it perfect for your dystopian futures.

Then again, I guess they disguise TARC as one of many TV and film production crews that are around... if you're not dodging film crews during your commute, then the tv/movie industry is suffering.

9. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Yeah, but how can any of that match up to the just past finale of TAR-U.S., where contestants strenuously and with cunning had to put placards in a ballpark sign? ;)

10. Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    Looks like spoilers are allowed so... I couldn't believe the Newfies in this last leg. Just dumb. They had to know they were in trouble. Sheesh.

11. Worf

Worf Active Member

Sep 15, 2000
    You know, I've never actually watched TAR, just TARC. I know it's on and it's broadcast in Canada (thanks to posts here :) ), but I've never had an interest in watching.

The only t hing is, that theme song gets stuck in my head a lot - is it the same theme song across both shows?

12. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Yes, the theme song TARC uses is the same one used by the original TAR.

The trip to Beijing and Shanghai and Bangkok was pretty fun. That must have been really hard for Zed and Shabir to get eliminated because the father simply couldn't complete the surfing detour and they had to switch to the other one, which put them way behind. But it was really funny to see them doing the puppet challenge and he kept laughing and making noise and they kept getting rejected and couldn't figure out why. #readyourclue

In this week's episode, they made such a big deal about the double U-Turn and the strategy some of the teams were going to employ, but then it turned out that it was non-elimination and it didn't even matter who got U-Turned. While I'm glad they put the U-Turn board in the right place (after the teams had completed the first half of the detour, rather than at the beginning of the leg like they did in TARUS last season), but it still makes no sense to have a U-Turn on a non-elimination leg. The whole purpose of the U-Turn is to try and strategically eliminate a team by forcing them to do an extra task, but if they're going to be saved and likely bunched right back up with everyone at the start of the next leg, then it's almost a disadvantage to get to the U-Turn board first and think you're going to be able to employ some good strategy.

I can't believe how many tries it took some of those guys to complete the citizenship test. I wonder if the test had some really obscure questions or if they were just idiots. I know the one guy wondered how many oceans bordered Canada, and another guy thought Celine Dion composed the Canadian national anthem. :rolleyes:

13. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    U-Turns on a non-elimination leg are pretty stupid. They seem to like doing those on the Canadian race. I guess it creates friction on the next leg.

I'm surprised CTV didn't make the citizenship tests they took available on their website (or a sample of the questions at least). I found this practice quiz online that can apparently be used to prep for the real thing: Online Canadian Citizenship Quiz - CitizenshipCounts.ca

If it's representative of the questions they were given, no one who went to school in Canada should have struggled to get 15 out of 20. Those that did, should be embarrassed. Of the questions they showed on screen, even if they didn't know an answer for sure, they should have been able to eliminate half the possible answers quite easily (like Celine Dion writing the anthem), so they'd at least be at a coin flip for those.

14. Worf

Worf Active Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Hey, we have just as many idiots as you Americans have about the knowledge of our country. Perhaps more, given Canadian culture tends to be subsumed by American culture everywhere. (If anyone asks - America's greatest export is its culture). I think it's asked every year, about 60% of Canadians will fail the citizenship test if given right then and there.

Anyhow, on non-elimination legs the last team still has to work harder since they must do a speed bump which no one else has to do. But I'm sure the real reason is we're Canadian, and we abhor unfair fights, so being U-Turned just means you still have a chance (we love come-back-from-the-brink stories).

If anyone is curious, the citizenship test and study book was recently revised, so it's possible it tripped people up (it's edited every so often, and 2017 happens to be a y ear when it was last revised). It's also possible that well, the test was given to them and they didn't really have a chance to read the study booklet, other than remembering what was on display at the museum (I've never been there), so it's likely they missed questions and had to answer based on what they already know and learned. It doesn't help that the test can be tricky and pedantic with answers that are sneakily close. The book is online if anyone wants a read - Discover Canada

That book is the official guide and the only one they draw material from, though you may be asked questions about the province too - capital cities, premiers, etc. And honestly, I'm sure most failed the memorization part of the test. Dates, names, etc. Bleh. :fearscream:

15. wprager

wprager Active Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Canada has a town named Saint John (NB) and another named St. John's (NFD). There is no St. John.

16. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Thanks. I fixed my mistake in the OP.

17. wprager

wprager Active Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Newfies are salt of the Earth, wonderful people. But they do have their quirks. Like a time zone that's a half hour off. (UTC-3:30), or a town name with a period and an apostrophe.

18. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I had an uncle that lived up there for a while and he would always tell Newfie jokes, which were similar to the Polack jokes people used to tell years ago. I'm guessing both types of jokes are now considered un-PC.

19. Worf

Worf Active Member

Sep 15, 2000
    And lets not forget the official province name is Newfoundland And Labrador. Newfoundland is the island, and everyone forgets about the other half. Them's Newfies for you.

Yes, both the Newfoundland and Labrador Retriever dogs originated there.

20. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Good episode this week. I really wish the US version would adopt the Face Off, because that's one of the biggest reason why TAR Canada is better than the original.