The Amazing Race, 12/05/10

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by loubob57, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Dec 6, 2010 #1 of 67
    loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX

Advertisements

They didn't show a departure time for Team Tattoo. But the team before them left about 5:30. Given they had a 6-hour penalty and were probably a couple of hours behind on top of that, they shouldn't have even started until after 1 am.

I yelled at the TV when they tried to make it look like they had a shot at getting on the 12:25 flight. But now that I take the above timeline into account I think the producers had the ticket agent mention that other flight for dramatic effect. She even said it had already left. Why else would a ticket agent mention a flight that was already gone?

2. Dec 6, 2010 #2 of 67
    janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I could have napped during this episode and still not missed anything.

3. Dec 6, 2010 #3 of 67
    Byteofram

Byteofram Survivor of C-bus

Oct 29, 2004
    Buckeye Land
    After last nights episode, it appears that some times it might be beneficial to take the 30 minute penalty and take the taxi. The QVC women should have been pentalized longer because that really moved them ahead by not waiting and riding the subway.

Not a very exciting episode, but I think that boils down to knowing that Nick and Vicki had no chance to make up the 6 hr penalty and the extra task.

I still really like the Dr team....I think I would prefer that they win at this point.

4. Dec 6, 2010 #4 of 67
    Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I cursed when Brooke and Claire used the cab but It may have worked out just as well for them. They are only 10 or 15 minutes behind the leaders even after the penalty and you know there will be bunch ups next episode to keep it exciting.

I'm definitely rooting for the two female teams and will be happy if either win it. I don't hate the couple but I don't want to see them win.

Here's hoping it does not simply come down to who gets the best cab driver during the last episode.

5. Dec 6, 2010 #5 of 67
    loubob57

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX

Advertisements

I thought it was interesting that Nick/Vicki still had to do the Speedbump. I suppose they went right to the Pit Stop after that.

6. Dec 6, 2010 #6 of 67
    Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    Yeah, hard to tell how many tasks they actually did. They showed the Humvee and not the raft. The speed bump but not the Headband challenge. At some point I could see producers just skipping past the tasks to the pit stop.

7. Dec 6, 2010 #7 of 67
    TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    The military must have really wanted their tank cleaned. :)

This leg was over before it started. Once they missed the flight, there was no way to make up the time difference. However, I would have been pissed if their 6 hour penalty had been negated by the flight to Korea.

I know Brooke can be very annoying, but I absolutely adore her. She is having fun this whole trip. After what Claire has put up with on Road Blocks, I am definately rooting for them. I would be Ok with Nat & Kat winning also. They are a strong team.

I wonder if Brooke & Claire figured out later in the leg about the Taxi? When they got to the mat, they seemed like they were arleady expecting some kind of penalty. As far as I remember, they have never finished in first place, they should have been way more excited when Phil told them they were first to the mat.

Why is is sometimes teams know what happens to the other teams and other times they don't? This week, all the teams knew that Nick & Vicki had not been eliminated, but had a penalty.

8. Dec 6, 2010 #8 of 67
    Kevin L

Kevin L Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Gulf Cove, FL
    I agree. It should not come down to luck on the last leg. I liked the idea in this episode (BTW, shouldn't this thread by "The Amazing Race, 12/5/10") where they had to take subways or walk. Removes the luck (good or bad) of choosing the cab. Since they usually end up in an American city for the last leg, they could easily require cab, bus, or walking. If someone violates the rules, they also should have to go back and do it correctly, and not just receive a short time penalty.

I'm rooting for the doctors. They've been good competitors and have worked well together with a great attitude. Plus, I'm a little biased. My son's an anesthesiologist, too.

9. Dec 6, 2010 #9 of 67
    loubob57

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    Whenever Phil says "You are the first team to arrive" instead of "You are team number one!" there is a penalty coming. Maybe they knew that?

10. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    They certainly acted like they may have realized it after the cab ride but before Phil told them about it. They were probably also wondering how they beat Jill and Thomas to the arena.

11. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    At least this one was a real speedbump. Not something like "Serve tea" as in past years. Kind of fun to make them wash a self propelled howitzer.

12. cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I believe he says the same thing if it was a multi-leg segment ... of course, that probably would not happen this late in the race.

13. IJustLikeTivo

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    They need to completely removed taxi's from the last leg.

It has changed the outcome way too often. That leg, especially, needs to be run with as fair a playing field as possible. I can give 3-4 final legs where a taxi has made a huge difference and that's wrong.

Going back to last night. Something was wrong. They left Hong Kong at 00:25 AM but when the exited the terminal to get the car in Seoul, it was light. What's with that.

BTW, they never discuss customs but I assume the force all teams to wait at the exit to customs until everyone is through to be fair. It also would explain the traditional, run for the cars/taxi scene after every flight.

I'd prefer the Doc's to win but I'm fine with Claire and Brook as well. Clair is a bit high energy for my taste but as a team they work well. The doc's are the best though. They have a great attitude and I've never head a cross word during the entire race.

14. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    That would be Brooke and not Claire. Claire is the dark headed one who took a watermelon in the face earlier in the season. And also the one who had to do the disgusting Food Challenge last week.

I am still mainly rooting for Brooke and Claire but I will have absolutely no problems if the Docs win.

15. IJustLikeTivo

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    OK, it's Brooke I find a bit annoying. Claire I like better. I know I wouldn't but stuff from the Blonde, she comes across as a salesman while the brunette comes across as more sincere.

16. cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Flight is 3h 20m, plus they cross a time zone. If on time, they would have landed around 4:45am.
    Sunrise in Seoul around mid-June (when it was filmed) is at 5:10am.

17. IJustLikeTivo

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    Oddly long flight time since they said it was 1300 miles. That should be 2.5 or so. I did forget about the time change, that alone should just about make up the time difference once you account for customs and immigration.

18. cstelter

cstelter Active Member

Mar 17, 2002
    Mankato, MN
    If Nick/Vicki had spent 2 more hours and found the boat, possibly arriving 4 hours earlier to the ATO may have gotten them on the flight. Or if Nick hadn't taken a nap they may have easily been in the running for the final 3. As it was, he's pretty much the reason they weren't.

19. kettledrum

kettledrum Active Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Fishers, IN
    Can't the producers change the start time of the 1st team to whatever they want it to be, to ensure that certain teams have a shot at getting certain flights, etc? It's not like it used to be where the rest periods were 12 hours every time.

20. fmowry

fmowry Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Brooke was trying waaaaaay too hard to be funny/cute/whatever to the point of being totally annoying. Here's hoping one of the other two teams wins. I'll go with the docs too I guess. This season has been sort of meh.