The Amazing Race - 10/31/10

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TiVo'Brien, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Nov 1, 2010 #1 of 22
    TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Now with 2.6% Fewer Organs TCF Club

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...

Advertisements

Kinda thought it might be a non-elimination since the tasks had the possibility of taking so long. From the looks of it, the film task looked near impossible - typical "needle in the hay stack" task.

Loved the babushka ladies. :p :up:

2. Nov 1, 2010 #2 of 22
    loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    I knew team Tattoo was in real trouble. You're going to come in last if you switch tasks twice. Lucky for them it was non-elim. I kind of like having them around for some comic relief.

3. Nov 1, 2010 #3 of 22
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Yet the first three teams to finish the detour were teams that chose the needle in a haystack challenge. We were pretty surprised by that.

I was bummed they didn't give us the times all the teams left the previous pit stop. After our discussion in the last thread, I was going to track the whole season and see how the results would be if based on cumulative time rather than just each leg. But I can't really do that now, since the data will be incomplete. The only thing I know for sure is that Nick and Vicki, who were already in last place, would be much, much farther behind after this leg.

4. Nov 1, 2010 #4 of 22
    catcard

catcard MoxiDVR

Mar 2, 2001
    Honey...
    That shrieking home shopping lady drove me crazy during the babushka race! We'll see how long Chad will remember that his girlfriend might just know a thing or two. And Kevin definitely needs to listen to his dad - they could have been there at the pit stop much sooner! But Kevin was a cute babushka!

5. Nov 1, 2010 #5 of 22
    Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...

Advertisements

Wish they had a timer on each task so we could see how long each contest pair was doing it.

For piano task, if you could identify one song easily then one could limit the other two possibilities to 30 combinations (correct me if my shallow math skills fail me). What would prevent them from just trying the combinations from the other missing songs and catch a break? Such a strategy would probably never pop in your heads in the stress and cacophany but I think it would work.

Mallory and manure are comic gold. That girl really got into the stuff..lol I don't know if I'd let her in my cab unless i got assurances from the producers of extra on the fare.

6. Nov 1, 2010 #6 of 22
    Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    Is it wrong that I want the young couples gone? It's not that I dislike them that much (okay, maybe Chad a little) but i would love to see two women or a Parent/Child win the race.

7. Nov 1, 2010 #7 of 22
    Rosincrans

Rosincrans mad north-north-west

May 3, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    I don't like any of the couples. It's like they seek out the Jerk Man/Victim Woman combo. Guess it's supposed to make good TV. I think I'm rooting for the Watermelon team.

8. Nov 1, 2010 #8 of 22
    smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    This needle in the haystack challenge had an easy out. Find the letters, and you find the correct film strip.

When people figured that out it was easy.

-smak-

9. Nov 1, 2010 #9 of 22
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Weren't there like 8 pianos? So if you 'know' one of them… that's 7 left.. So that'd be 42 combinations, right? 7 for the first song, 6 for the second song…

That's pretty many combinations. I was thinking of the combinations at first too, but it's a lot. (Though some of the songs did seem more discernible than others.)

10. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    I certainly understand the need for equalizers but I hate it when they don't show us how far apart the teams were at the end of the last leg.

11. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    Reviewed the footage and I totally missed that there were two rooms of pianos, one with 10 and the other had 7 or 8, so my combination play wouldn't work.

Steph's final plan to do songs one by one was a sound one tho, she saved that worthless half Chad for the next round.

12. appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    I think this episode lays to rest the rumor that the non-elimination pit stops are rigged (not random.) I can't think of any reason why the producers would want to hang onto Team Tattoo! :D

13. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    The home shopping girls?

I am too. I like them and the docs.

14. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    My first thought was to listen to one music piece at a time then each person hits different pianos. When you think you have it, call your partner over to double check. Lather, rinse, repeat. You just add too much confusion listening to two at a time.

15. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Just my thoughts on some of the teams:

Father and daughter: He has the patience of a saint and she needs to take a valium

Home Shopping Gals: A little toooo tooooo for my taste, but they seem like very nice people.

Asian father & son: The kid has a real passive/aggressive thing going. Continually puts down his dad - even when he tries to sound like he's supporting him. And the father seems very solicitous to me - puts up with a lot of crap from the kid.

Docs: I like them. Down to earth and pleasant.

Tattooed Couple: Clearly not the brightest, but as I mentioned in an earlier thread I really like the female - she's a realist who is very much in touch with their strengths and weaknesses and has a charming, self-effacing style. I could do without the body piercings, but in the end that's a personal choice and none of my business. As for they guy, didn't care much for him until this last episode when he acknowledged he was previously out of line and intends to keep his emotions (and mouth) in check.

The weight-lifter and his girlfriend: Don't like him at all. He's not nearly as smart as he'd like to think he is and he's abusive. I don't care that he apologizes afterward - it's too late.

Again, just my 2 cents :)

16. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    Is the girlfriend the one that tossed the shovel in the middle of the cow manure to make the next person get it?

That was totally uncool. It was not going to slow anyone down significantly so all it did was force somebody to get covered in cow manure. This is very much the team I would like to see leave next.

17. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    It didn't really make any difference. Mallory then stood on the pile of crap as she was shoveling it into the wheelbarrow anyway.

There are two young dating couples (Jill/Thomas, Chad/Stephanie). I'm not sure which couple he's talking about, since both guys have showed some d-bag tendencies.

18. Inundated

Inundated Face For Radio TCF Club

Sep 9, 2003
    Northeast Ohio
  19. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Sorry - yes, it was Chad & Stephanie. And I'd forgotten about that maneuver with the shovel - not cool. My wife really was annoyed by that.

20. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I always said that's a problem with this show. Every year there are 2-3 "dating" couples that I get confused with. Usually it's a tall, good looking 20 something guy and a "hawt" 20 something girl. They generally look the same and have the same personalities. The ones we remember at the couples that are "different" From this season I'll remember the two Home shopping gals, the tatoo/piercing couple and the Asian father/son.