The 2016 MST3K Turkey Day Marathon Has Begun!

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by FilmCritic3000, Nov 24, 2016.

1. FilmCritic3000

FilmCritic3000 Active Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Anchorage,...

Advertisements

[​IMG]

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Time for the annual tradition - roasting cinematic turkeys! The 2016 MST3K Turkey Day marathon is upon us, with new hosted intros from series creator/original host Joel Hodgson and upcoming Season 11 host Jonah Ray. On now - "Pod People". It's streaming on YouTube and a myriad of devices and services.

MST3K 2016 Turkey Day Marathon | Shout! Factory TV

The Turkey Day Marathon Returns!

2. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Thanks. BTW - the correct usage is "myriad devices" as opposed to "A myriad OF devices" ;)

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Since myriad can be used as either noun or adjective, either is correct.

4. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Various thoughts, in no particular order:
    • It might be sacrilege, but I find Manos: The Hands of Fate to be a slightly overrated episode of MST3K. It's a bad movie for sure, but I think there are other episodes with better riffing than on Manos.
    • Having seen Jonah Ray on several occasions now, I remain somewhat nervous about how he'll handle the lead role on the relaunch. He just doesn't seem comfortable in front of the camera.
    • I miss the way they used to present Turkey Day on Comedy Central, with the cast in character doing the "bumpers" from the Satellite of Love. I wonder if, now that they're back in production, if they'll be able to do that again?

5. capriz

capriz Member

Aug 4, 2003
    Oregon

Advertisements

I think Jonah will be fine - he did well at the Rifftrax show this summer. I'm more worried about the new Crow and Tom - probably because I don't know those guys as well.

Today's turkeys included one of my favorite MST3K moments at the end of Pod People when Joel finishes singing 'Clowns in the Sky' :
    Joel: I love you Tom Servo
    Servo: I love you Joel
    Crow: You're not my real father!

6. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    No, sorry. There are no cases in which "a" or "of" should immediately precede or follow "myriad". But hey, I recognize this isn't an English class so I'll back off :)

7. FilmCritic3000

FilmCritic3000 Active Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Anchorage,...
    Leonard Maltin's movie guide taught me wrong years ago when he said John Carpenter's Halloween inspired "a myriad of clones"?! Nooooo!!!! ;)

8. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Not only Maltin, but almost every time it's used on tv (and elsewhere for that matter). Probably one of the most frequently misused words in the language ;)

9. jamesl

jamesl Active Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Definition of MYRIAD

Definition of myriad
    1: ten thousand
    2: a great number <a myriad of ideas>

Examples of myriad in a sentence
    * Mr. McCullough hails Adams for being uncannily prescient … foreseeing a myriad of developments, from the difficulty of defeating the British … to the divisive consequences of slavery. —Michiko Kakutani, New York Times, 22 May 2001

* Sectarian Protestantism reinforced both American individualism and the tendency of the society to be self-organizing in a myriad of voluntary associations and communities. —Francis Fukuyama, Atlantic, May 1999

* Out in the barrios, under the nipa palms, he listened to the myriads of humming cicadas and the call of the geckos. —Nina FitzPatrick, Fables of the Irish Intelligentsia, 1991

* To read Marie Corelli, you had to be able to follow several hundred printed words at a time, and there were myriads in England who were up to it. —Hugh Kenner, A Sinking Island, 1987

* … laced his fingers behind his head and stared at the myriads of tiny colored dots that make up darkness. —John Steinbeck, East of Eden, 1952

Thoreau
    Thoreau's Ktaadn - 6
    " to see a myriad of particular things, "

10. mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital The TBS Archives TCF Club

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA
    Careful, you're playing in the big leagues, here. ;)

11. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    You know what, apparently I am mistaken. I got my English degree MANY years ago and at that time the usage I posted above was absolute. However, upon further checking it seems that times have changed and so has the now accepted usage of the word. Kind of like how "irregardless" is now considered "not so wrong" because of "common usage".

Anyway, I sincerely apologize for my error and thick headedness :)

12. Generic

Generic Now in Dolby Digital

Dec 26, 2005
    SoCal

13. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I’ll stick with watching the old episodes. None of the new voices were right. I know *why* Gypsy is now GPC, but I still don’t like it. I don’t like Gypsy being “upgraded.” And I have no idea who this Emily person is, and initial reaction is that I don’t like her that much. Blech.