THD Or Series2DT?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by cmonroe, Sep 29, 2007.

1. cmonroe

cmonroe Member

Sep 1, 2007
    I have a THD with an Mcard which works great. One of my family members is interested in Tivo and I would just get the HD but it will be used in an area with a small cableco that does not have cablecard or HD support yet. If I were to get the HD the only channels that could be recorded are analog, correct? The THD has no way to control a digital cable box?

If this is the case I would probably go with the Series2 dual tuner. Beings how the cable box can only output one stream is it worth it to get a dual tuner? Is the Series2 smart enough to record analog channels on its own tuner and digital from the cable box (at the same time)? If so then getting a DT model make sense, if not are we basically out of luck, single tuner only?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The TiVo HD does not work with a cable box. If your family member must use a cable box then the dual tuner TiVo makes more sense.

3. cmonroe

cmonroe Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Ok, thats what I figured. If I get the dual tuner will it be able to record one digital and one analog channel at the same time?

4. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    The dual tuner TiVo requires the use of a cable box to get anything beyond unscrambled analog channels up to 99. The TiVo's own tuner(s) can only get those.

Scrambled channels, channels above 99, and digital cable channels, all have to be tuned thru a cable box.

The dual tuner TiVo has no digital tuner of its own.

5. cmonroe

cmonroe Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Yup, I realize that but am curious if a DT TiVo can pull in analog channels on its own while also using the cable box for digital. Can I record a show on say analog channel 20 and digital (via the cable box) channel 150 at the same time?

6. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Yes.

7. cmonroe

cmonroe Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Sweet, thanks for the info! Does TiVo know what channels are analog and only use the digital cable box for recordings where it is necessary? This way it can do DT (analog + digital), DT (analog + analog), or ST (digital only) depending on the number of shows its asked to record? There is no custom tweaking, it just handles everything for you?

8. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    My understanding is that, yes, the TiVo does know that. But as I have never used a dual tuner model, perhaps somebody with experience can comment.

9. MungoJerrie

MungoJerrie Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Yes, by default the DT uses it's internal tuners for any channels numbered 99 and below. Anything above 99 is digital and the set-top cable box tuner is used to change the channel.

10. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I would hope it knows more than that - a lot of cable systems put scrambled channels under 100.

11. MungoJerrie

MungoJerrie Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Perhaps it does; I can tell you this - it never uses the cable box to change channels under 99 - although I don't have any scrambled under 99 (Comcast).

12. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    TiVo goes by whatever channels you have selected in the Channels I Receive list. Each channel up to 99 is listed twice - once for cable and once for box. If a channel below 99 is scrambled you would unselect the cable version. If not you would unselect the box version. If both are selected TiVo may choose either to record on.

13. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Ah, a clever solution.

14. cmonroe

cmonroe Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Sounds like a great solution. Thanks for the help guys!