THD Audio Crackle

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Smirks, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Smirks

Smirks .:. Hello .:.

Oct 7, 2002
    I just had my CCs installed today and everything seems to be working well, with the exception of a slight audio problem. I've tried searching the forums, and I couldn't find anything that seems to be my problem, so I apologize if this has been covered.

So, I have my THD connected to my TV via HDMI, then to the "receiver" (I'm not really an audiophile, but its a HTIAB reciever, JVC TH-C50) via TOSlink. I have the volume turned all the way down on the TV since I haven't found a way to disable sending the audio stream over HDMI in the tivo settings.

In any case, whenever I change the channel there's a crackle/hiss that comes out of the speakers before the regular channel audio comes out. The crackle last for as long as it takes for my "receiver" to figure out what kind of signal its being sent (I presume). After it discovers that its dolby digital, or whatever the audio is fine.

If I turn off the "receiver" and turn up the volume on the TV there's no crackle. If I change the audio output to PCM on the tivo there's no crackle, however I lose the surround sound with that.

FWIW this didn't happen with the SA 8300HD that was connected in the exact same way as the THD.

Any ideas? Am I just going to have to live with it?

Thanks in advance!

2. Smirks

Smirks .:. Hello .:.

Oct 7, 2002
    The problem seems to be a little more wide-spread than I had initially thought. The crackling also takes place when fast forwarding/rewinding/pausing/un-pausing of recorded or live programs. I have seen other reports of SCP (snapping/crackling/popping) as mentioned above, so maybe it isn't just isolated to me.

In either case, the noises don't have a high wife-acceptance-factor, and they're downright annoying as hell. I've had to disable the dolby digital and switch to just PCM for the time being.

Has TiVo acknowledged this as a problem, or am I going to be stuck in PCM forever?

3. heel99

heel99 New Member

Nov 9, 2007
    I am also getting this problem with a brand new TiVo HD and a brand new Samsung HT-X70. Loud pops whenever we fast forward, pause, rewind with dolby digital. With PCM there are no problems, but we want surround sound.

Any ideas??