Thanks to the group, I'm now free...

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by johnhjohn, May 20, 2011.

1. johnhjohn

johnhjohn New Member

Dec 17, 2006

Advertisements

Just a note of appreciation for the advice given to me by the members of the group several weeks ago. We are now free from the 100+ dollar a month from our sat provider.

Took the advice of several on here and bought 2 used tivo 3's, have OTA, and could not be happier. Both dvrs work great, never miss a recording and saving 75 bucks a month. Been using the tivos now for several weeks.

The streaming functions and internet functions are also a nice addition that our outdated sat dvrs did not provide.

One more thing. We did have a small glitch with our account and the customer service reps fixed the problem quickly and professionally. It was nice talking to customer service people who really appreciate our business. Don't get me started on our 10 year experiences with our sat provider...

To anyone wanting to dump cable or sat to save money, do a little research and you won't ever look back.

Thanks again, group!

2. P42

P42 Active Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Delighted to here that OTA is working for you. Coupled with a TiVo one does have access to a lot of content, granted not everything, but I'm sure the $75 savings helps with that sting :)

3. Len McRiddles

Len McRiddles New Member

Dec 21, 2002
    U.S.S.A
    Welcome aboard, I did this 2 years ago and have not looked back.

4. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    The S3 is reported to have the superior OTA experience. Yes, the S3's do the job fine and should not have noses turned down on it. My Series 3 648 is still highly relevant.

5. plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005

Advertisements

I wish I could do the same. I am in a bundle with Verizon FIOS. Removing the TV portion of my bill saves me maybe $20/month. My FIOS service has been flawless and I love the TiVos. But for $20.00 I would rather just keep the service. Because if I went OTA, I would probably get Netflix and Hulu Plus, and I am back up to $20/month.

6. johnhjohn

johnhjohn New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    While every situation is unique, what we found is that over 90% of what we watch is OTA. The remaining 10 % can be found or watched on the computer or Netflix. The biggest challenge is sports. As a college sports fan, this will be somewhat tough. I figure I can deal with it by listening on the radio for games not aired locally or ESPN 3 on the computer.

I just wish I would have done this sooner.

I would think that during these tough economic times, that this would be a great time for Tivo to promote the service as an inexpensive alternative to cable/sat. I have seen recent articles on Yahoo etc. about ways to cut expenses. Tivo is really a great alternative without a huge sacrifice.

7. Jun 1, 2011 #7 of 16
    Torino

Torino Member

Oct 5, 2006
    VA
    I guess I am way out of the loop. What did you exactly do?

8. Jun 2, 2011 #8 of 16
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    He dropped his cable service and went to Over The Air (OTA) only.

I have also done this. It really depends on what you want to watch and how good your OTA reception is. In some areas there are allot of OTA channels in other areas not so much. I only have 6 primary channels and another 7 sub channels but find it more than enough to watch. Any HD TiVo makes a great OTA DVR, I am using 3 different TiVo Models for OTA and find they all work just fine.

Thanks,

9. Jun 2, 2011 #9 of 16
    exegesis48

exegesis48 Member

Jan 13, 2007
    We went OTA only a few months ago as well. Couldn't be happier. It's almost like a breath of fresh air not having so many channels to worry about. It used to be kind of overwhelming trying to find something to watch. Especially when you had so many different channels to choose from but for some reason can't find anything interesting on.

I've found that the core networks (ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox) have all the important programs anyway. Pair that with the PBS channels and you have some pretty well rounded programming.

The only channel we can't seem to get on our Premiere (works fine on our TiVo HD for some reason) is CBS. But it's not a big loss for us as we only really follow one CBS show and that's Big Bang Theory. Sadly this will just force us to find other "nefarious" means of obtaining this show if CBS isn't willing to partner with Hulu+, Netflix, or any other legitimate TV viewable solution.

10. jtrain

jtrain New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Beaverton, OR
    Haven't looked back. Yeah, i miss some live sporting events that i can otherwise find online, but after a year and a half, i'm not complaining one bit. There are about 5 channels (from a live sports sense) that i'd like to have, but paying for all of the other channels that i don't need or will never watch doesn't justify getting it back.

We watch a lot less TV as a family, for kids channels we get PBS/Qubo, which is sufficient for my 10/8 yr olds respectively.

We've hosted two Super Bowl parties (on a homemade OTA antenna, no less), with no issues at all. I was a little concerned at the first SB party (hoping for no dropouts/pixelization with 20+ people at the house) and had no issues at all.

I'm using an S3 (OLED) with 500GB expander (Antec MX-1 encloure)...has been flawless since we went OTA only.

11. Aero 1

Aero 1 Active Member

Aug 8, 2007
    add me to the list. went ota last year and since my job pays for my fios internet, my tv entertainment cost is $12 a month for netflix.

i joined a hi gain uhf antenna with a hi gain vhf antenna together to have a kick ass, powerful antenna that feeds 3 tivos, two standalone tv's and 1 dual hdhomerun and a slingbox pro with 90+ signal strength on about 60 channels.

we supplement that with boxee boxes for local file streaming and its great show streaming aggregation and playon and hulu desktop for regular hulu on the TV's. a slingbox at my dads house and espn 3 fills the sports gap and torrents as the last resort.

12. rgbrooks

rgbrooks New Member

Jun 2, 2011
    This is my first post. I have been OTA forever. Though I've been using a Sony DHG HDD500 for the past 4 years, I'm looking to get a tivo for OTA and wanted some opinions on which one to get. It seems that the people who have the OLED's really like them.

I would like to hear which OTA tuner is better: the OLED; HD; or the Premier.

Thanks.

13. Aero 1

Aero 1 Active Member

Aug 8, 2007
    a lot of people here will tell you that the HD tuner is better than the Premiere, but i see no difference. some people say the HD calculates the strength differently than the premiere, some people have even dissected them to the hardware level, but i have no idea, i get the same signal quality and strength on both.

keep in mind that there are also a lot of factors to this equation: outdoor/indoor antenna, cable run quality, splitters, etc.

14. daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    OTA Rocks. To the OP, $75 a month is great - an extra $900 a year will pay for a lot of Blu-rays and downloads, not to mention additional savings for better home theatre equipment down the road. Or you can spend it on other things :). Welcome to the club.

15. MMaleto

MMaleto New Member

Feb 11, 2011
    I have the premier, since about November - cut the cable and went to OTA a few months before that.

Although I cannot speak for the HD series, I am very pleased with the premier. Excellent quality picture - no probs.....

16. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    It's the sports. That's it. Yeah a lot of the stuff is available in a couple of hours from the "nefarious" sources, but that's not live sports. And not all games are readily available; at least I can't find them.

We have kept a DirecTV HD awful box for that, only, and hate every moment of having to use it.

ESPN and my local baseball team, that's really all I need, and then Tivo OTA supplemented with Netflix, etc. and RedBox would be perfect.