Thanks, TiVo, for 5 years!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by planetgraham, Mar 23, 2020.

1. planetgraham

planetgraham Tivo Newbie

Apr 6, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    My TiVo subscription expires on April 3, 2020 and I won’t be renewing. I got a Roamio 5 years ago with a Comcast cable card and have been very happy with it. But times and needs have changed. The loss of Xfinity On Demand was the tipping point. And now my family watch 85% of things online (Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, YouTube, PlutoTV, and other apps.), so I can’t justify keeping the TiVo. Not sure how life will be after cutting the cord, but we’ll soon find out.

In case you’re interested: 54 year old Male, Wife 48, Daughter 19, Son 18. We own and use an Apple TV, Roku, and FireStick in different rooms.

Ben Medin likes this.
  2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    It's quite likely TiVo could offer you a deal on All-In...would you take that?

$199 is a common first offer.

$99 is often possible.

-KP

aaronwt and Mikeguy like this.
  3. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Think you'll miss the experience of sitting on the couch, hitting power to "see whats on"? Streaming services are great but you kinda know what you are gonna watch before you watch. I know OZARK wont start on Netflix til the 27th. I know I wont be tuning into CBSALLACCESS after I watch ep10 of Picard. I would at least keep the locals package that comes with Xfinity internet. Just my opinion. I think I will always want a "live tv" alternative.

4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    $99 is very rare occurrence these days. But, agreed, OP would have benefited from an initial lifetime purchase, and could get a deal worthy of continuing when they drop service.

5. johnfasc

johnfasc Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    Wow no local stations either? Those be free with a simple antenna.

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You should have paid lifetime from day 1.

cwerdna, dishrich and mrsean like this.
  7. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Hindsight is . . . . ;)

8. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Depends on where you live, OTA reception is not as easy as you think.

9. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    If an offer from TiVo was made, it'd still be a good value...

-KP

10. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Buying lifetime with a BOLT is living on the edge. As the hardware is a POS. Finding an older model with lifetime is the way to go if you want that. Also with the changes coming to OTA... Your taking another chance that your hardware will be useless in a few years... But that is probably longer than any BOLT will last.

11. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015
    I'm approaching 11 years and all four of mine are still working. The oldest is rarely actually used any more. The newest is just for storage until I get an antenna that really works.

wbrightfl likes this.
  12. hc130radio

hc130radio Active Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Rockwall TX
    Guess I love living on the edge.

HerronScott and Mikeguy like this.
  13. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    The vangard lives on the edge, welcome ! :)

14. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I admit I don't have a Bolt (partially because of the stupid curve, partially because I don't want the 'new' experience).. but I had one of my first Tivos die very quickly (and I had to get one of the TiVo employees that was here involved since they wanted to say they wouldn't replace it since I bought it from a third party site).. I still would always "gamble" the lifetime.. Just like I bought a cable modem instead of renting one from the cable company.. (only on my mind since I'm about to go back to the other thread about that since I'm still trying to figure out which one to upgrade TO..). Only if it were like $1 a month or something would I prefer to pay ongoing.