Testing USB ports?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by pmrowley, Nov 20, 2019.

1. pmrowley

pmrowley Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Irvine, CA
    Is there a way to test the functionality of the USB ports? My tuning adapter suddenly went bad, and since then, I haven't gotten one to work correctly, regardless of which USB port I plug it into (Motorola TA). I have swapped out the TA 3 times, only one of which (kind of) worked (and that one kept connecting and disconnecting from the Tivo). I'd like to be able to rule out my Roamio as the issue.

Or are Motorola TAs really this bad, that you can get 3 faulty ones in a row from the cable provider?

Tx,
    -P

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I don't use a TA, but my Roamio can power fans. Power is all you can test.

3. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    At least with my cable company, if a TA isn't connected for some time it loses some certification (this was the tech's description) and won't successfully connect until it has been refreshed from the head end. The only way it can get refreshed is for the cable company to initiate the process. I've had this happen more than once.

This is with Moto TAs and TWC/Spectrum.

JKR123 likes this.
  4. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    You could try a USB keyboard. I seem to remember some old threads where people were using a keyboard to make searches easier.

5. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Have you tried a known good usb cable?

6. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Si non confectus, non reficiat TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    Do you get the TA connected pop up when you connect the TA? Even if it's not authorized, you should be able to see it connected and see the diagnostic screens.

Connect a mouse and see if the optical light glows - that'll tell you that it's getting power at least.

And while it seems rare to have 3 bad ones in a row, it's not entirely unheard of - TA's aren't exactly known for their reliability.

7. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Maybe use the USB to charge your phone?