"Test Off-Air Signal Strength" not working

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by kevin80302, Dec 22, 2006.

1. kevin80302

kevin80302 New Member

Feb 11, 2006

Advertisements

I have an HR10-250 running 6.3a and I am having a weird problem.

"Test Off-Air Signal Strength" is not working. My OTA tuners are OK but the Signal Strength meter is not... even on channels I know are OK. It used to work fine but now... not so much. The Satellite Signal Strength test works just fine.

I double checked antenna web and I know I'm looking at the right Frequencies.

Is this a hardware problem or possibly something that could be fixed by a Clear & Delete operation.

Thanks,

Kevin

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Be sure that one of the HR10-250 tuners is set to an over-the-air channel before entering the Setup menus. See if that helps.

3. Runch Machine

Runch Machine New Member

Feb 7, 2002
    Minneapolis
    Mine did that last night. I rebooted it and then it came back just fine.

4. jhimmel

jhimmel Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Mine too. However, although the signal strength for NY 11-1 is 95%, the tuner is not getting that channel any more.

I noticed I could no longer tune in channel 11-1 (NY WPIX). All of my other NY OTA locals still tuned in just fine. So I went to test signal strength. ALL were just flat zero. Strange - I rebooted, and signal test started working again. 11-1 shows 95% but the recorder still can not tune to that channel. All others are still fine (CBS, NBC, FOX, etc..)

Jim H.

5. kevin80302

kevin80302 New Member

Feb 11, 2006

Advertisements

I think I was having a different problem. My tuners seem to be OK but the signal strength meter is dead.

I tried a restart but no help. I also tried to go to a local hd channel then try the signal strength test, also no help.

I guess it's time for a clear and delete everything.

6. LoneStar1981

LoneStar1981 New Member

May 21, 2006
    I have two HR10-250 units, and in the last week neither one has been able to tune to our local NBC. (which is also 11.1) All of the other channels work fine... I just unplugged the antenna cable from the back of one of the systems, plugged it directly to my tv, and 11.1 now works fine. For some reason neither system will pick up the signal, but the HDTV will. The strange thing is that both of these Directv systems rebooted on their own one evening around the time this problem started. (and it was not from a power problem) :confused:

Update: I used "Scan for off air channels" and each system located a second 11.1 channel that works just fine. The original one still shows up, but since there is not a signal on it, I had to remove it from the channel list. :rolleyes: Never had this problem before...

7. Gsecmc

Gsecmc New Member

Dec 30, 2006
    On Dec 21 I lost 3 of my 6 off-air HD channels but I still had signal strength of "95". I tried rebooting and reformatting but to no avail. Direct tv had me rescan for off-air channels and they all came back but there is a flaw. I now have 2 of each of those channels i.e. 8-1, 8-1, 26-1 26-1 and 38-1, 38-1. and the first channel has the program guide but with no picture the second one has picture but no program guide. Direct tv sent me a new HD DVR but with the same results. Does any one no how to fix this?