Test case # 3

Discussion in 'Post Testing Area' started by Mikeguy, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Mar 3, 2019 #1 of 17
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    [Deleted]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  2. Mar 3, 2019 #2 of 17
    Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    And this is test case # 3, in my continuing effort to see why some of my posts have been coming out with a gray background and black text, making them difficult to read for viewers using the site's dark theme.

Distinct from test case ## 1 and 2, rather than simply place and/or then editing this post, I placed and then edited it, copied the resulting text, placed that edited text as the next post, and then deleted the original post.

3. Mar 3, 2019 #3 of 17
    longrider

longrider Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 26, 2017
    Elizabeth, CO
    As someone not involved in the test, all the posts except post #2 in text case 3 have white text. post #2 has black text. (dark theme)

4. Mar 3, 2019 #4 of 17
    longrider

longrider Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 26, 2017
    Elizabeth, CO
    Switching back to default I can see the text in post #2 is somewhat darker

5. Mar 3, 2019 #5 of 17
    BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mikeguy likes this.
  6. Mar 3, 2019 #6 of 17
    kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Your test posts #1 and #2 came out fine. Your second post in this thread (didn't see the first one) was a example of the problem.

What baffles me, isn't the reason it's problematic, it's a simple hardcoded rgb value in the color, instead of using the forum default. It contains:

Code:
    <span style="color: rgb(20, 20, 20)">
    Which would make a very dark gray, perfectly visible in most cases and indistinguishable from black on a normal background. So on a dark theme, instead of being 'normal' (which would be come out as white on dark gray), it ends up as dark gray on dark gray.

The baffling part - I've tried and tried, and in no way can I make this happen deliberately. In fact, I can't get the forum to insert a style of that format at all. Any coloring I apply, be it from the dropdown, or inherited in copying and pasting, or rich text, etc.. etc..., call comes out as:

Code:
    <span style="color: #000000">
    <span style="color: #404040">
    <span style="color: #808080">
    <span style="color: #bfbfbf">
    <span style="color: #ffffff">

The syntax isn't even the same.  You're somehow generating a rgb() function, while anything I do generates a hex tag.

I'd love to know how you're doing it. ;)

7. Mar 3, 2019 #7 of 17
    BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    Do you use Internet Explorer? I think Mikeguy does.

8. Mar 3, 2019 #8 of 17
    Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Yes, Post #2 is not readable. thanks.

9. Mar 3, 2019 #9 of 17
    cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Should be called Halloween theme.

10. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    OK, now I know what not to do in the future. I still don't know why the system is doing it--I'll leave that to you knowledgeable folks.

What I sometimes do in posting: as much as I try to proof a post and make sure it's complete, I sometimes will note typos or think of something to add, after the 5-minute "free" period to make edits expires, after which point the post shows as edited at the bottom right of the post. The "edited" notation just bugs me, and so, if no one yet has inserted a next post, I often have simply copied the text, placed it as the next post, and then deleted the original.

For whatever the reason, the system seems not to be liking that, as those seem to be the posts that get the black-on-gray treatment. I don't really know enough to change to background and text colors in any concerted fashion--as I posted earlier, I simply use the default color scheme.

And so: I'll now cease-and-desist from my post-replacement "scheme" and simply live with the "edit" notation. I'm really not trying to be obnoxious here apart from, as I explained to Hank, in what I'm saying, as apart from how I'm posting it. ;) And many thanks for helping me try to ferret out what's going on here--my apologies for that obnoxious-looking color formatting. (I still don't see how you folks can live with the dark theme--while the default is bright, the dark looks like death is imminent.) ;)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  11. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Forgot to add: I'm typically accessing the site under Edge (please don't mock me--I've just gotten used to it, and it does have some redeeming qualities), sometimes IE 11, and sometimes Chrome. All the above and the other test cases were under Edge. (I don't know if that makes a technological difference.)

12. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    For me, it all looks identical (and readable) under the default scheme.

13. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    By the way, I'm amazed that you folks above actually read what someone has posted in the Post Testing Area. Can no one have some privacy here? ;)

14. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I don't what's so bad about the "edited" notation... does anyone even pay attention to that?

What's happening when you do that is that when you copy the text, browsers are smarter now and also copy most formatting (CSS settings for HTML), so when you paste it into a new post, that formatting goes with it. Try copying a webpage and pasting it into WORD for instance, much of the formatting will follow.

And since that formatting, when displayed as a webpage includes the color for the text (black) that gets carried over as well in the copy/paste action. While IMHO you shouldn't worry about the "editied" tag, if you really want to make sure this doesn't happen again, instead of just using "paste", use "Paste without formatting" or "Paste as plain text" or even CTRL-SHIFT-V -- all of which will just paste the text without the formatting information.

BrettStah and Mikeguy like this.
  15. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I think it's browser dependent.

16. Anotherpyr

Anotherpyr Active Member

May 6, 2015
    Not to worry, Microsoft has stated they’re going to adopt Chrome as their browser under the hood in the future. So, “You will be assimilated.”

Mikeguy likes this.
  17. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Got it. Likely I'll just forget about whether the system notes that the post is edited--it's difficult worrying about how the post appears when I can't see how it appears myself (under the default setting). Thanks--