Test CableCard without Internet?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by VicVinegar, Jun 11, 2019.

1. VicVinegar

VicVinegar New Member

Sep 18, 2015

Advertisements

Moved into a new house, and am getting internet/TV tomorrow. I'd like to make sure the CableCard works while the tech is here. Problem is I'll need to get a MoCA network going before I'll have a wired connection at my main TV, but should I still be able to see if the CableCard works with the Tivo? When I initially set up my Roamio at my old house, "no internet" was not an issue, everything was already set up. Thanks

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Temporarily configure the DVR for wireless?

3. VicVinegar

VicVinegar New Member

Sep 18, 2015
    I thought about that, but without internet I can't know I did it right. It is probably easier to just bring a small TV into where the internet will come into the house, there is a coax in there too, so I should be able to test. Then I'll have to work on a MoCA network and permanent placement of the Roamio.

Mikeguy likes this.
  4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Bring the small TV to the TiVo. Connect the cable. Find the CableCARD pairing screen. That will display the parameters needed to pair the card. This is a ONE-WAY display. Only you can see these numbers and only you can determine the card is paired. The CS will send the pairing data and you can verify it's paired in the Conditional Access display, where "VAL:" will be "V". The number after the "V" is a count of the number of times the card has been paired. In Diagnostics (not in the cable card menus, in the System Information menus) there will be two entries: Channel List Received and VCTID. VCTID is normally non-zero.

My cable feed usually calls me back in 5 minutes to verify everything is ok since they can not tell. I have a Motorola M-Card. A Cisco/SA card is different:
    ccCA.JPG ccPair.JPG cablecard.JPG

It's been a while, but I don't think you need internet access to pair a cable card.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  5. VicVinegar

VicVinegar New Member

Sep 18, 2015

Advertisements

Thanks for the feedback. I'd report back on if this worked, but the Verizon guy never showed, and now I am in some sort of Fios "customer service" hell, with no cable card.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That sucks. After my first card years ago, I drive to the office and they give me the card. I've never had a problem.

7. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Unfortunately, FiOS offices are few and far between.