Tess of the D'Ubervilles

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Hcour, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Yet another great BBC adaptation. Be warned, though, it's a harsh, very sad story. Poor Tess has a tough life. The cinematography is gorgeous and Gemma Arterton, besides being incredibly beautiful, gives a very moving performance as Tess.

2. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    What channel is it on? Seems to be a random comment.

3. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I count five television productions of Hardy's story on IMDB. The most recent is 2008, with Gemma Arterton. I'm pretty sure I've seen that one, but I cannot remember where. It may have been a Netflix rental.

4. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    My wife really, REALLY hated that adaptation.

5. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Ha. Oh, well, she also hated the Little Dorrit adaptation. Tell your wife for me that she has very poor taste.

I'm KIDDING! It's a JOKE! Different strokes and all that. I thought they were both superb and I'm certainly not alone in that opinion.

Maybe it also helps if you're a guy. I'd watch a series about Gemma Arterton taking out her trash. Crimeny, but what a beauty.

6. 4inziksych

4inziksych New Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Great book, btw, and it's free electronically because it's in public domain.

7. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Is anyone here old enough to remember the Polanski version with Nastassja Kinski playing Tess? I remember watching it in University and having to leave early because I had an exam. Never occurred to me that a movie could go on for over three hours.

8. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    I do not remember it, but I found it on IMDB. It is a movie called "Tess" from 1979.

9. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Oh well, if I care I can get it from Netflix, not my Tivo which this discussion is supposed to be about.

10. rickertk

rickertk Not quite new Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Suburban...
    The Gemma Arterton adaptation aired as part of Masterpiece Classic in 2009 I think. I watched it then - well done, but yes, very difficult to watch in parts.

Keith

11. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Probably the worst adaptation I've seen. Very boring.

12. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    Are you a bot?

13. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    I was just a 19 year old Computer Science student and, while it certainly wasn't my first choice type of movie, I stayed in that theater until I had to go for my exam. I didn't sneak out early even though I had a great excuse -- studying for the exam. I recall the movie also winning a few Oscars.

Are you sure you saw it? Are you sure you want to just dismiss it as "boring"?

14. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    I've never seen the Polanski version but I would certainly have no problem with the length. In fact I prefer these mini-series adaptations just for that reason. Certainly great films have been made of classic novels, but you really can't do justice to a novel in a two-hour movie. My favorite Dickens novel is David Copperfield, I'd kill to see a good BBC 8 hour adaptation of it. I thought the recent Keira Knightley version of Pride and Prejudice was excellent, but I'm really looking forward to watching the mini-series.

15. Church AV Guy

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    But she absolutely LOVED Cranford, and Return to Cranford. She watches those about once per month. She also loves her Rosmary & Thyme DVDs.

16. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Your wife has inspired moi. Read many good things about Cranford and will be watching it in the next couple of weeks.

17. Church AV Guy

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    If you like her selections, then you will also not want to miss Downton Abbey.

18. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
  19. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Watched the first ep. Your wife and I finally agree on something. I loved it. Very, very funny and quite touching, too. The acting, as usual in these BBC productions, is superb. Looking forward to the rest and then part 2.