Terrible customer service

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jblake, Jan 27, 2009.

1. jblake

jblake New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Birmingham, AL

Advertisements

I knew I was in for a treat when "cancel service" was the second option on the phone tree. I recently moved and can't get cable. I have DirecTV and HD, so my TivoHD is gonna have to go on ebay. I've been a customer of Tivo's since my Series 1 Tivo, then I had a series 2, and I've had 3 Directv Tivos. So I'm calling in to cancel, which I hope is a temporary situation until the new DirecTV Tivos are released. I've tried to call 3 times and get stuck on hold for 15+ minutes before an agent ever answers. The first two times I had other things to do so I hung up. 3rd time I call, choose cancel service from the phone tree and sit on hold the requisite 15 minutes.

Then, the IVR system hangs up on me. I did get a ringing sound as if I were being transferred and the CSR bounced the call and I got stuck back in the queue for about 5 minutes, and then bam..disconnected.

So now I just called and pressed 0 until it stuck me in the general queue.

Tivo really needs to work on customer service. Sure, I chose cancel from the menu, but you don't know why I'm canceling. You should still treat me as a loyal customer (or hell, a customer of one month) with some respect and good service. Maybe I'll still recommend Tivo to friends. Maybe I'll decide not to cancel. Maybe I'll come back later when circumstances change. Or, maybe I'll be treated like this and I'll never speak the word Tivo ever again.

2. jblake

jblake New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Wonderful. To top it off, if you press 0 you get dumped over to tech support who obviously cannot handle account issues.

3. NickIN

NickIN Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Indiana
    This isn't the first time a company had had problems with their phone system computers. I doubt anyone intentionally has hung up on you. You aren't royalty and you're being a little dramatic. Cancel. I doubt you'll be missed.

4. samo

samo New Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Littleton,...
    He is not a royalty, but if the only way to cancel the service is to place a call, company better provide phone support for the regular people as well.
    In defence of TiVo they get about 25,000 cancellations a month and since they don't prorate most of the phone calls come at the end of the month.

5. robostock

robostock Member

Feb 8, 2008

Advertisements

Sounds like you had a terrible experienced with Tivo's CS.

But after reading you post, I can't but wonder... did you have a REALLY bad day or what? Maybe?

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    1st - They don't prorate, but whatever time you have left on your subscription is allowed to run out before the subscription actually ends.

2nd - TiVo does not bill everyone on the same day every month. Your billing date is the day of the month that you started your subscription. If you have 3 Tivos, you most likely have three different billing dates.

7. DAccardi

DAccardi Tivo Special Member

Oct 26, 2008
    New Jersey

wow, little upset there are we? relax, the point is when you call for other services from TiVo, the wait time is muuuuuch less. The poster is not even dissing the TiVo service, actually anticipating the DTiVO HD.

8. elstonhill

elstonhill New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Port Angeles
    I think they intentionally hang up.

I have called in quite a number of times about the gray screen problem I have and which they try to blame the cable company. Twice they told me to wait while they read my file. I wait ten minutes and then get a dial tone. If it were a computer glitch, they could call me back. That would be good customer service. I think they purposely put me on hold because they do not have a solution.

9. jblake

jblake New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I hadn't had a bad day necessarily, but trying 3 times to get in touch with them was very frustrating. I was a bit dramatic when I posted, and have since calmed down :) The CSRs were very helpful, but Tivo should take notice that they need to improve customer service. I didn't want to cancel, but I have moved and cannot get cable. I do have DirecTV, and specifically chose DirecTV because of the Tivo announcement. Hopefully they will follow through on that.

10. GBL

GBL covert opiniative

Apr 20, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN
    IANAL, but I believe, under California law, you can also cancel the service in writing.

11. TolloNodre

TolloNodre En Fuego

Nov 3, 2007
    No, as they said they're a former Series 1 owner.

I've noticed a trend - for whatever reason (perhaps valid, perhaps not) - that long time TiVo users are totally disenchanted with the current state of TiVo.

I've only had TiVo a year and I love it. Yea, phone service may suck. Whatever. It's still the best DVR out there.

But Series 1 owners seem to have this deeply personal relationship with TiVo - and they're ticked off. It's like they're regulars at their favorite corner pub that's now been converted into an Applebees. And they're not happy no matter what.

12. jblake

jblake New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I would only partially agree. While I am disappointed in some changes that have happened at Tivo, I understand that they were necessary to keep the company afloat. And to be honest, I am quite surprised the company has lasted this long. I am disappointed with the mediocre to poor customer service. Even with what I think are some very poor decisions that have been made, I think Tivo has made some great strides and has provided the DVR industry pretty much all of the innovation of new features. I would have loved to not cancel service, but where I live I cannot get cable. As soon as they release (if they release) a new DirecTV Tivo, I will spend whatever it takes to get that service.

13. oldsmoboat

oldsmoboat New Member

Jun 27, 2002
    When I moved about 4 years ago, I had a Series 2. We moved to an area where cable wasn't available and had to go with satellite. When I called to cancel I had no trouble getting through and they (Tivo) offered me the service for $5 a month. I couldn't take them up on it but I wish I could get that deal again.
    :D