Terrabyte Tivo!!

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Billy Bob Boy, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Billy Bob Boy

Billy Bob Boy What Me Worry???????

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    Un Freekin believable. An actual Terabyte of storage On a directivo. 130 hours hd and 870 hours of sd At weeknees. Actually its not that exspensive considering the first time the Hd tivo came out it was 1000 this is only 1300. But for the average joe thats pricy. Yes you can have every tv show ever recorded sent right to your house for just 1299.99!! :) :) :)

2. cmtar

cmtar Long live the R15!!

Jan 26, 2005
    sounds like a waste of money to me

3. Lee L

Lee L Got Basenji?

Oct 1, 2003
    Morrisville, NC
    I have 500 mb and every once in a while I get worried about stuff if we are on vacation during a heavy week of TV. I have gotten it down to 1 page of sugestions but that is teh lowest.

4. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I was considering getting two 500GB hitachi drives and slap in my SA TiVo... but I realized that was a little much money just to be able to say I have a Terabyte TiVo. :)

With just one tuner (or even with two), it seems a little excessive with that much storage.

Cool, though. :)

5. buckeye1010

buckeye1010 Very Special Member

Dec 11, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    Both my Tivos (an SD and a HD) are networked and I have a computer with 1.2TB of movies and shows. I think I did it just cause I could. Right now, including the space on the Tivos and the computer together, I'm only at 50% full. It was up to about 80% at one time. Yes, it's overkill, but it's nice not to worry about space.

6. the_scotsman

the_scotsman Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Dallas TX
    Not sure this is the best of deals....

For me this would be better......

2 x H10-250 @ $579each $1158
    2 x TwinBreaze brackets $78
    2 x 250GB HDD $200
    MIR -$200
    ---------
    Total cost $1236

That gives you the same capacity, 4 tuners, some redundancy, and 32 months of Mirror fees for the same price. Of course the 250GB HDD could cost a little more or you might even get 300Gb for $99 - prices vary. You also need to add in the new drives - not possible for everyone.

Just a thought.

Paul M.

7. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    If you had money to spend, which most of us do not, this would be great, but I see it as a waste, since almost 95+% of TV is still being broadcasted in SD and NOT HD, or is being being broadcast in upconverted SD. HD could actually take almost another half a decade or more to become reality.

8. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    On the flip side....

One bad sector amongs that 1tb... boom, all TB go bye bye...

9. jmoak

jmoak Beware of Conky!

Jun 20, 2000
    florida
    A waste?!!?? (;))
    Heck, the biggest tivo was a prize here at one time! "TivoKing" they called it.

I myself had one of the biggest ones for an hour or two back in july of '00. 52 hours and 56minutes, it was. .... but that was before anyone had come up with the "TivoKing" crown.

Seems rather quaint and a little bit puny these days though.
    :D

ahhh, memories....

10. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    I remember the biggest mistake in my life....
    Getting a BestBuy credit card to purchase a 250mb (megabyte) harddrive for $250...

11. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    And if you are in IT, why would you say that, especially since most drives today can self diagnose and automatically change their redirection tables without any additional software. But then again are you in IT?

And if you are in IT, you know that you can become pigeon holed in IT and the old saying that people in IT "KNOWN MORE AND MORE ABOUT LESS AND LESS", is very true.

I am NOT trying to pick on you, ebonovic, but why would you make such a statement?

12. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Okay... Bad Sector, bad choice of words. What I ment was one un-recoverable error with the drive (be it a sector that can't be moved, or was in a spot where OS files where damaged and could not be recovered, or the drive suffered a physicall failure).

I have had my my personal TiVo upgrade drives develop bad segments that nothing could repair (one time a two week old drive "threw a head"). In one instance I lost 10 recordings of Smallville and I have never caught up. (I have all the DVDs just haven't watched them).

I just wanted to point out that spending that kind of money to use two 500gb drives, opens a wider single point of failure, based on how the "marraige" of the two TiVo hard drives work.

I am not against having a Terrabyte of storage, in fact I would love to hook a SAN up to my TiVo if I could...

I try as best as I can stay on the cutting edge of stuff, and make sure that I don't always see one side of the puzzle.... Because if I do get too focused, then the next guy coming up with bigger eyes will push me off the ledge and I will never see them comming.

13. Hodaka

Hodaka New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    Rolla, MO
    and everyone asked me why i needed to put a 300gig in each of my R10s.. :)

14. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    I guess I keep my Season Passes to a manageable level... My smallest DTivo has a 120gb drive, and I've never lost a program due to it filling up.

That being said... I'm sure I'll spring for a 200 to 300gb drive when one of these drives fail.

15. SeattleCarl

SeattleCarl New Member

Nov 10, 2005
    I can remember lusting over a 5 meg hard drive that cost $2000. My then Z80 PC with 256K of ram and 4-5.25 inch floppies was pretty cutting edge (and cost well over $2K).

Carl

16. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Too bad you can't configure a TiVo to use a RAID. :D

17. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    I assume you are talking about RAID 1, but why would you want to. What would really be great, would be that the next generation of DVRs start using SATA drives and have an eSATA port (external SATA), for external SATA drives. Now that could be useful, but I highly doubt it unless it is on a home media server box, which should be the long-term direction of all of these companies.

18. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    I was thinking RAID 5, maybe with a hot swap spare. I realize you can't get more than 2 drives in a box but what the heck. A guy can dream can't he?

19. DocNo

DocNo Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Bristow, VA
    I've got 5 500 GB drives on order that I am going to RAID together (RAID 5) on my server computer.

With Galleon, I can automatically schedule it to download shows via Tivo2Go so I really don't care that T2Go is slow on transfers, the most I will be behind is one or two hours.

And once I have the program off my Tivo and onto my computer, I can do many more things with it - and I can even pull it back up to my Tivo if I so desire.

I'm no longer interested in building the biggest tivo - in fact, with my now third hard drive failure ( :mad: WD pieces 'o crap - seagate only from now on!) I have learned oh too well what ebonovic is talking about. Just wish I would have gotten more recordings off after spinrite revived the drive the last couple of times - oh well, nothing that can't be recorded again! Thank goodness for repeats....

20. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    I did investigate droping a 500gb into my HD-DTivo... (I have some other threads on it)... And in my SD's... Ultimately it became much more $$$ efficient to have multiple units with 160ish GB drives (and just leaving the HD to record HD stuff), then it was to make them massive.

Sure, HMO would have been nice... but ultimately... Things that we record on one are best suited for the room that it is recorded in (News in teh bedroom, and fitness shows in the basement)