Terra Nova "Within" - 12/12/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by That Don Guy, Dec 13, 2011.

1. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    The whole thing about the portal on the Terra Nova side got me thinking (that's never good...):

How did they know to build it in the first place? (Okay, maybe whatever technology they use to enter the wormhole in the first place lets them test it on Earth, but in that case, they have just invented teleportability.)

For that matter, how did they know that where they were headed was hospitable? For all they knew, every pilgrimage was being led straight into the middle of the Atlantic.

2. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    Once they built it, they probably sent through probes that let them know it was hospitable.

3. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    This seemed like a filler episode. Sure they caught the spy who was forgiven instantly. Geeze. Thankfully, no little girl scenes and very little with the son.

4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yes, we know that they can communicate back through the Time Tunnel even if physical objects can't return (at least until now). So it would be trivial to send a probe with a full array of audio/video/environmental sensors that would send data back.

And only slightly less trivial to mount it on a small flying drone that could get similar data on a wide area around the Tunnel.

Then send back some gung-ho survivalist military guy with nothing to live for. :D
    Right, if by "filler episode" you mean "episode that forwards the plot as much as the entire series to date has done"...

5. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Yay Lucas. I knew he could do it.

6. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    Still don't get how the mother being alive escaped notice by Taylor. Its not like they abandoned her in a field to die when she fell sick and then was picked up by the Sixers.

7. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I dunno. This whole plot/catch phrase "Control the past and you control the future" is pretty flimsy. Even if the big bad strip mines TN for all the unobtanium it's worth, how's that control the future? Make the air in 2149 cleaner?

Or, maybe they could just use Mega Maid to suck all the good air from the Cretaceous into the future. And sell it by the can.

8. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I think Future Earth has been stripped of its natural resources. By plundering Ancient Earth, they can make more Stuff, and Stuff is the stuff of Power.

Doesn't save the future, but it lets them limp on a while longer. Better to be king in a dying world with lots of subjects than just another pioneer in a primitive world with lots of fangy death creatures.

Which, of course, is short-sighted. And when have people in power ever been short-sighted?!?

9. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    I thought they decided that since the probe sent back to Terra Nova timeline was not found in 2149 that it was not their past (and removed causality), so why all the "control the past, control the future"? Seems more like "Rape someplace else -> Profit".

I guess Lucas' new equations will remove the need to reenter at the portal? Seems like it would be easy enough to move the portal opening to the edge of a cliff and let the inbound troops lemming themselves and sell tickets so TN folks can all point and laugh.

I also expected Dr Shannon to tell Skye that the medicine the Sixers were giving her mom was just keeping her sickly and she had survived the fever on her own and now in addition to making everything Skye did extra lame but handily gives a cure for the incurable disease of the planet.

10. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Same thing. If you control the past, you can rape it and use the profits to control the future.

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Yes, something was mentioned in an earlier episode about it.

12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I haven't watched any of the episodes yet (I had the premiere on my drive that died.. and now think I have gotten MOST of the episodes since on reruns or new runs).. But this !@$ episode was cut off.. (I check the end of recordings, esp before I transfer to computer).

Hopefully they'll rerun it on Saturday in a few weeks. (Yes, I intend to eventually watch, though maybe only via DVD? If so, I can nuke my recordings.)

13. jeepair

jeepair Member

Apr 21, 2004
    No I believe it has to stay there. Although I was thinking like you and said they should dig a huge 20-50' ditch at the opening and watch everybody fall into the pit when it opens. lol.

14. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    I think they mentioned in the past that the first time that Taylor (and a few others) went into the past, there was no portal. Back then, you went through some wormhole they were able to open up, but you had no idea what location in Terra Nova you'd end up in when you stepped through, and they had little control about what local date it was when you arrived.

They built the portal on the other side to control where you arrived and the local date of your arrival.

15. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, if they had control over where the portal could be they'd be insane to leave it out in the wild like that.

Perhaps they sent the portal machine through the Time Tunnel, and where it came out that particular time is where it had to stay in order to maintain the connection?

16. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    They could build a stockade or jail cell around the portal so that the incoming troops would be locked up.

The could have developed TN around the portal instead of away from the portal leaving it out in the wild.

17. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    This is exactly what I said when they revealed it. I get that it took until the third pilgrimage to get the portal built, but it should be a critical piece of their current community, not some remote location, in Sixer land that has poor cellular reception, and no building/facilities for inbound pilgrims and support staff.

If they are creeping on the 11th by now there has been plenty of time for them to incorporate the portal into their community, defenses, etc.

ETA: If the portal is indeed anchored to a specific place on TN I just don't see how the 2149 folks will be able to get any offensive going with the troops weak/disoriented upon arrival and no way to attack coming out of the gate for fear of collapsing (I can't remember the term Lucas used) the fracture.

I can only guess that Mira will have to stage a diversionary attack on the TN compound to draw the forces away from the portal at a time coordinated with 2149, otherwise I just can't see the "bad guys" able to do much of anything.

18. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Not necessarily. Before they had the Portal, there was no controlling where (and when) the Time Tunnel would open. So they build TN, then they develop the portal technology to anchor the Time Tunnel, then they send the Portal through the Time Tunnel. At that point, they have no control over where (and when) the Portal will emerge. So it appears in the middle of nowhere. My theory is simply that they can't move the Portal without breaking the connection, so it's stuck out in the middle of nowhere.

(Note that I'm distinguishing between the Time Tunnel, which is what links the future and the past, and the Portal, which is what controls where the Time Tunnel emerges.)

19. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I wonder if the Stargate people will sue Terra Nova for stealing their stargate whirlpool effect.

Skye's a moron. She should have told Taylor about her mother at the very beginning and functioned as a double agent. She should be in the stockade.

20. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN

Well, she is a bucket-head.