Terra Nova - Proof 11/14/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by sieglinde, Nov 15, 2011.

1. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I found the most unbelievable thing about this one is that the daughter kept confiding in her little sister rather than talking to her policeman father about her doubts about the scientist.

The son giving the medicin to the Sixers should have him exiled but it looks like he won't even be grounded.

2. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I thought it was amusing that the daughter kept coming up with increasingly ridiculous theories as to why her idol wasn't remembering stuff...until she came up with one that was so insanely stupid it had to be true! :D

3. DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    Good thing she's nice to look at.

4. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    It was a terrible episode but it featured one of the things I do like about the series: its examination of moral ambiguity/complexity. Unusual for such a children's level cartoonish type show.

Ending with the apple, the contribution to society of the villain, was very, very nice.

5. verdugan

verdugan Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    I had to :rolleyes: on that one.

I realize the fishing scene was needed as set up to run into the exiled ex-solder, but it was stupid.

6. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    Several times I yelled at the TV "TELL DADDY!"

7. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    What moral ambiguity/complexity?
    You actually have to have some characterization to pull this off and only Taylor has any spark of characterization.

(And the last image could have invoked Eve and the Apple. What if those beetles do more than just eat the mold?)

About half the time I was yelling that to both kids.
    That and "You're an idiot!".

8. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    My co-worker and I watch this at lunch. We have the most fun saying "You know, I was in Avatar" every time Taylor appears onscreen.

9. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    The third child. Personal gratification vs. the law and the obligation to society. The bribery and jailbreak. The father's illegal immigration. The bartender (all good?/all bad/more complex?) The motivation of the leader's son. The purpose and motivation of the 6'ers (does anybody believe they are really all evil?). The wife's being selected for immigration. Her feelings for her sponsor. The condemnation/salvation/turning into a simultaneous patriot/traitor of the banished guy.

Does anybody believe the leader (both leaders) doesn't have a mixed backstory?

I strongly suspect they'll be playing with the motivations of the old-terra girlfriend, and the new-terra girlfriend is a already a delightful motivational mess.

In this episode: the hero-worshipped scientist clearly had feet of clay yet wrote the letter. The mother is neglectful. The villain was a murderer, yet fundamentally wanted to do good (and accomplished such).

As I have said, it's not very good, but they are playing with some stuff.

10. JulianSF

JulianSF Jack of all trades, master of none!

Nov 12, 2011
    San...
    Boy, the son reminds me of cops son from the series "V". He just bugged all the time and I was happy on V when he got all chewed up by the reptile. Can't wait for the son on this show to be trampled to death by a dinosaur!

11. Vendikarr

Vendikarr New Member

Feb 24, 2004
    Our imposter scientist was an idiot. We have already seen Taylor doesn't care about what you did in the future, he is only concerned about whether or not you can contribute to Terra Nova.

Imposter has been in Terra Nova for years and made contributions, the most recent being discovering beetles that can eat the apple blight mold. He could have come forward to Taylor et al with a convincing story and that is that.

Instead he attempted to murder a teen girl, which probably got the old fool banished.

12. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Are you talking about the teenage girl? Aren't you an adult man?

13. DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    Yes, but I was a teenager once. Are you saying that its wrong to recognize beauty just because someone is a teenager? If thats the case, how do you explain all of the shows that are out now with multiple, beautiful teenage women always wearing short skirts? Maybe you're saying its ok for the networks to use the teenage women but there is something wrong with pointing it out?
    Hmmmm, sensitive aren't we.

By the way, I have my profile and picture up for everyone to see, where's yours?

14. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    I don't see the big deal, she's 18 and considered an adult. Would I date and be with an 18 year old, no I would not. But I have no problem saying whether one is hot or pretty. And I'm not sure why it matters whether someone has a picture on their avatar/profile or not.

15. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    I stopped watching "V" at some point. I'm happy to hear that happened, but sad that I missed it. :) :( :D

16. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    She is not 18. Right now she is 17. Even younger when this show was filmed. And it's creepy.

17. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    I think you need to check your math. IMDB shows her birthday as May 6, 1993. When I went to school that comes out to her being 18. I don't profess to be a mathematician, but even I can do that kind of math.

18. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Still creepy.

19. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    lets just leave it at she's a cuties and her character is quirky and fun.

Yea lots of issues with this episode.. but I'm still enjoying it from start to finish. I too think that the boy would be exiled too, but it looks like he turned over the leak to Miria (Borland.) He should get some type of punishment (from the colony.. not just from Dad)

20. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Mom, on the other hand...seriously hot.