Terk multiswitch quality question

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by t76turbo, Oct 10, 2006.

1. t76turbo

t76turbo New Member

Dec 12, 2004

Advertisements

I have a Terk multiswitch and before I install it I wanted to ask if anyone else uses one and if there is any quality loss on the hd signal.

Here is a link to the part I am talking about.

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/...10001&storeId=10001&productId=14124&langId=-1

2. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Not that I can tell.
    D* HD has built in quality loss.

It does run quite hot though, make sure you have ventilation space around it.

Also keep in mind that it won't work with the new DirecTV 5lnb dish, well half of it anyway.

phox

3. t76turbo

t76turbo New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    Thanks Phox.

That is exactly what I wanted to know. I just need to pick up a few more diplexers now. Will install this week.

4. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Just the name "Terk" normally answers that question, as there is a widely-held opinion that most of what they produce is synonymous with poor quality.

But if you are talking about picture quality, there is really nothing in between encoding and decoding (from the point that DTV encodes the signal to the point your STB turns it back into digital video) that can negatively affect picture quality in the slightest, which is one of the big two reasons everything moved to digital in the first place.

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...

Advertisements

Some Terk products are junk, but their multiswitches are rock solid. I had this exact multiswitch (BMS58) in my system for the past 3 years until I upgraded my dish and multiswitch recently. It worked great. No impact on video quality. But the case does get pretty warm.

6. dshmel

dshmel New Member

Sep 4, 2006
    I have used the Terk 5x8 multiswitch for a couple of years with no issues whatsover. It does it's job.

7. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I've got two of the BMS-58's daisy-chained in my system and they've worked fine for about two years now.

8. herdfan

herdfan New Member

Feb 5, 2003
    Hurricane, WV
    Didn't see a price in the link you posted, but you can find them online for about half of what BB and CC charge($150).

Had two in a system for several years with no issues. Only removed them recently for the new WB616.

9. bwaldron

bwaldron New Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Brandon, FL
    Yes, their antennas are overpriced junk. However, back when I had the round dual-LNB dish, I ran a Terk multiswitch for years with no problem.

10. tucsonbill

tucsonbill Member formerly known as cranky

Aug 11, 2004
    Tucson
    That's what I've been looking for as well. Can you tell me why it won't work with the HR20?

11. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Because it isn't smart enough to handle the 5 lnb dish.

12. tucsonbill

Aug 11, 2004
    Tucson
    I was kind of looking for something a little more technically specific than that. I'm not trying to pick on you, but I wanted to understand. I've done a bit of searching -- and the answer I've found is basically that it won't work. I was just curious whether anyone could explain why?

13. texasbrit

texasbrit New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    First, it does not handle the wide bandwidth necessary for the new satellites. But second, even if it could handle the bandwidth, it has a built-in diplexer for OTA, and since the new satellites generate signals in the b-band that overlaps OTA, the multiswitch blocks the sat 103(b) signals.

14. tucsonbill

Aug 11, 2004
    Tucson
    Thanks, TexasBrit. I finally did dope it out last night. What confused me was the bandwidth statement. The real issue is the second one -- how it uses the bandwidth.

15. cramer

cramer Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Raleigh,...
    I was going to say the same thing. And it's not an opinion, it's a fact. I don't know about the BMS, but all of the older indoor models (also sold by JVI) are complete junk. I honestly don't know how they possibly work as they are electrically a single wire -- yes, every input is directly connected to every output; it bleeds signals across ports, and worse, it leaks LNB power across ports (translation: it will eventually burn out the tuners of what ever is attached to it.)

I'll post pictures if I can find one.

(Channel Master used to make The Best Multiswitch(tm). It had little relays inside it that physically interconnected the ports. I doubt they make those anymore.)

16. tucsonbill

Aug 11, 2004
    Tucson
    And you would validate that "fact" how? Because it certainly sounds like an opinion.
    Indeed although two others who have actually used it, and now a third (me) would tell you that it works fine.
    Is that "fact" or opinion?

Sorry, but you touched a hot button -- my experience says that the word "fact" is almost always followed by someone's opinion.

17. cramer

cramer Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Raleigh,...
    Pictures showing you the crap design. (I have to find it take pictures, 'tho.)

And mine worked "fine" right up to the day it cost me a tivo.

[Edit: That's a first; I found the power brick but not the multiswitch.]

18. tucsonbill

Aug 11, 2004
    Tucson
    cramer quoting me:
    ... would tell you that it works fine. Is that "fact" or opinion?

Seems to me when you spliced two of my replies together you left some ellipses out. You're quoting from my response to your comment that you don't know about the BMS and (spliced on as if it were all one ) my response to your assertion that channel master multiswitches were the best . So was it the channel master that worked fine till it fried your tivo? I know it pisses you off that someone disagrees with you publicly, but your opinion is still opinion, and misquoting is still a piss poor way to make your point. WRT your pictures, I'd be glad to comment on them, if you post them.

cramer:
    I was going to say the same thing. And it's not an opinion, it's a fact.

tucsonbill:
    And you would validate that "fact" how? Because it certainly sounds like an opinion.

cramer:
    I don't know about the BMS....

tucsonbill:
    Indeed although two others who have actually used it, and now a third (me) would tell you that it works fine.

cramer:
    (Channel Master used to make The Best Multiswitch(tm).

tucsonbill:
    Is that "fact" or opinion?

19. gsr

gsr New Member

Sep 30, 2002
    Billerica, MA
    Though I would agree that some Terk products are definitely overpriced junk, you can count me in as yet another satisfied BMS58 multiswitch user. I have one of these in my home theater system as it made a lot more sense to run 4 cables to a 2nd multiswitch instead of 8 cables to drive the 4 Tivos.

I had always thought that the consensus was that Spaun made the best multiswitch.

I've got a Spaun 5x12 in the basement that feeds 5 rooms. The satellite feed is split before the Spaun - the other half of the split feeds the Terk BMS58 in the home theater system. I've had the Spaun for about 6 years and the Terk for 2 or so years and haven't had any problems with either of them. If I were buying the same type of switch today, I definitely wouldn't spend the money on the Spaun unless it could support the 5 LNB dish.