Temporary backup of Tivo Drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Norman Ziegelmeyer, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Norman Ziegelmeyer

Norman Ziegelmeyer Member

Jan 29, 2017
    Can the Tivo Drive be backed up to any adequately sized Drive for storage and then restored to a specific model of Drive to be reinstalled into the Tivo? I have a number of 2.5 inch drives of various sizes and manufacturers that have been collected over the years and not being used. I would like to use them for temporary tivo system backups. Thanks

2. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Look at DvrBARS. It will back it up to a file that can be stored anywhere. But yes, you can clone the original drive that is at least the same size as the original drive and save it for a back up.

bam1220 and Norman Ziegelmeyer like this.
  3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can also download the (not copy-protected) shows to your computer with KMTTG, PyTivo... Depending on if your Tivo is running v21.+, you would not be able to transfer the shows back (feature removed). Otherwise, on v20.7x, this feature is still available.

KMTTG can also backup and restore passes. These must have the Tivo drive still in the Tivo DVR running. It would be transferred over your network.

With DVRBars, MFSTools, you must shut off the Tivo and remove the drive, hook up to the computer to do the backups/restores.

kpeters59 likes this.
  4. Norman Ziegelmeyer

Jan 29, 2017
    Thanks

5. Norman Ziegelmeyer

Jan 29, 2017
    Thanks

6. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Since you mentioned 2.5" drives that are used by the Bolt and Edge, these two model Tivos will not preserve the recordings from another hard drive. It's my understanding that if the Bolt or Edge detect a new hard drive, the new hard drive is formatted and none of the previous recordings will be available.

7. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    I am not sure about the Edge, but a direct clone or an MFS copy of Bolt drive will retain recordings.

kpeters59 and shwru980r like this.
  8. Norman Ziegelmeyer

Jan 29, 2017
    Thanks. I'm not really interested in saving any recordings, only the system so I could recover from a hard drive failure without losing Passes and cable card pairing.

9. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    I think you would lose the cable card pairing and season pass information if the Bolt doesn't recognize the backup drive. The previous message states that if you performed a direct clone or MFS copy from the current drive to the backup drive then everything would be preserved. The trouble is, there is no way to verify it. If you install another drive and the Bolt doesn't recognize it as the previous drive, then the Bolt will format that drive and it becomes the current drive and your previous drive will no longer be recognized if you try to install it again.

10. Norman Ziegelmeyer

Jan 29, 2017
    What would you suggest to achieve my goal?

11. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You should use KMTTG for the backup of the passes. It would not backup the card pairing, but that is negligible.

kpeters59 and shwru980r like this.
  12. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    Try both. Clone or MFS copy to a second drive and back up season passes with KMTTG.

13. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Note that DvrBARS has a 2TB drive limit even in the Full Backup mode.

kpeters59 likes this.