Temple Grandin - Amazing! (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by BobB, Feb 16, 2010.

1. BobB

BobB Devout Tivonian

Aug 26, 2002
    Brookline, MA

Advertisements

I started watching this out of idle curiosity - autism interests me, in an abstract way - and got sucked in immediately. By turns painfully funny, breathtakingly insightful, and just plain painful, this story of a woman who broke barriers galore for the autistic (or, as she herself quite visually thinks of it, walked through doors) is a revelation in a quite literal sense of the word.

Claire Danes deserves every award in the book for her performance, she is stunningly good, and practically unrecognizable as herself. In this article (http://beefmagazine.com/cowcalfweekly/1031-temple-grandin-hbo-biopic/ ) in, of all things, Beef Magazine (don't laugh, you'll find out why when you watch it), Grandin's present-day assistant says the performance is so spot-on it gives him goosebumps.

You HAVE to see this!

2. wendiness1

wendiness1 WiiMomma

Jul 29, 2005
    Idunno
    Is this an ongoing series or a made-for-TV movie?

I heard Temple speak at a book store awhile back. Everybody wanted to ask her about autism and she wanted to speak about animals.

Her mother was the guest speaker at a conference for parents of children with disabilities and I got to know her. Very interesting story.

3. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    It's a one-time event movie. Being HBO they're showing it lotsa times....and just as I was about to call to cancel HBO.

I heard Temple on Fresh Air a few times. It is a fascinating story.

4. wendiness1

wendiness1 WiiMomma

Jul 29, 2005
    Idunno
    Well, nuts. I don't get HBO. Do they usually sell it on DVD eventually?

5. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...

Advertisements

Yes, eventually HBO will have it on DVD. It's a matter of when... just be patient and hopefully someone will hype the DVD release when it's out.

I've not yet watched this but I do have it recorded for watching. My wife would definitely have been watching it live when it aired as she was fascinated with Autism. I expect it will be very, very good and just need to make the time to sit and watch it.

6. Legion

Legion Member

Aug 24, 2005
  7. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I had never heard of Temple Grandin before this movie, but it was exceptional, and Claire Daines gave an outstanding performance.

8. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I'm almost to the end of it, and I agree - Danes does an excellent job.

Who doesn't love an underdog story? :)

9. efilippi

efilippi Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 24, 2001
    Mundelein, Il
    I got the heads-up on this show from a story in the WSJ the weekend before it aired. As others have said, excellent.

I find HBO consistently does things like this and I can't imagine dropping the HBO/Showtime pair from my cable lineup. Well worth my money.

10. 5thcrewman

5thcrewman Active Member

Sep 22, 2003
    NW
    I liked this show and thought Danes nailed Grandin exactly.
    I also liked Catherine O'Hara as her Aunt Ann.

11. TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Now with 2.6% Fewer Organs TCF Club

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    Excellent story and brilliantly acted.

I need a hug machine, too. :p

12. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    I enjoyed the movie, but am I the only one who thought some of her expressions and mannerisms made her look like Harpo Marx?

13. BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I saw it at a screening a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was great as well. Danes should get an Emmy for it.

14. PKurmas

PKurmas Member

Apr 24, 2001
    Savannah GA
    I thought the mannerisms were spot on. I have a 14 year old daughter who has Asperger's Syndrome (among other issues) and thought that Claire Danes did an incredible job physically and verbally reproducing the behavior of an autistic/Asperger's teenager/young adult. I can just wish my daughter to be as successful as Ms. Grandin has been in her life...

15. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    Different, not less.

16. DaveBogart

DaveBogart Active Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Golden,...
    This really is an amazing story. Lately I find myself drawn more to movies based on real life and to documentaries because I figure if somebody's going to take the time to tell a real story there must be something compelling about it. So when I saw in the show description that it was based on a real person I didn't hesitate to record it.

17. dbranco

dbranco Active Member

Nov 20, 2003
    NH
    Loved this movie - agree Claire Danes deserves an award for her performance.

In OnDemand there was a "Making Of", and Temple herself said that she watched the performance and saw herself 100%.

Click here for "A conversation with Temple Grandin":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKSDSblPMpA

18. Efranzen

Efranzen New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    I tend to be the same way, even if it's a subject matter I know little about or am not particularly interested in. I think it helps to expand your horizons and views on the world.

I'm a big fan of HBO produced movies/series in general and I think Temple Grandin was particularly well done. I even heard 3 people talking about it after the premier at work, and nobody had been planning on watching it. They all caught it by accident and were completely drawn in.

19. TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Now with 2.6% Fewer Organs TCF Club

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    Pretty cool. It was like seeing the movie character again. :)

20. Dawghows

Dawghows Liberal Elitist

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    Generally when I hear the term "biopic" it makes me want to avoid a movie at all costs. But we watched this because some of the techniques we use to train our dogs were pioneered by Temple Grandin, and/or extrapolated from her work. Anyway, barely five minutes in we were COMPLETELY sucked into it. Great story, great performances, great production values -- everything about it was compelling.