1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Temperature?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by LynnL999, May 18, 2017.

1. LynnL999

LynnL999 Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Irvine,...
    A couple of weeks ago, I had a new entertainment center installed. I went from an open cabinet to a cabinet with doors that are covered largely by speaker mesh.

In the past few days I've had a couple of random reboots. Unlike my other TiVos, the Bolt+ doesn't seem to have the temperature listed anywhere, or an indication that the temperature is ok? Is there anyway to tell this from the box itself? What is a safe temperature for the cabinet? How warm should the Bolt feel to the touch?

FYI, the cabinet is divided into three sections, the TiVo is on the top shelf in one of them. The only other thing in that side of the cabinet is a bluray player, which is only on and generating heat when its in use. So nothing except the TiVo and the tuning adapter are generating heat in that part of the cabinet. There isn't a lot of room on the sides (a few inches on each side) but there is at least 8" or so above the TiVo and the top of the cabinet. Would moving the TiVo from a top shelf to a center shelf likely improve things?

If I'm on the wrong track here... what else should I look for that might be causing random reboots?

2. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    There are many other threads here dealing specifically with the running temperature of the Bolt boxes. They tend to be hot. The system information on the Bolt does report temperature different than older models - look for "ODT" on the second page.

An enclosed cabinet is never going to be as good as an open shelf. Higher temps are never as good as lower temps. An ODT of 70C is common on some Bolts, especially in enclosed cabinets, and it should not be causing heat-related reboots. If your temp is shown higher than 72, I would be quite concerned. Make sure the fan is turning and the box is sitting on a hard smooth surface - the only air vents are around the bottom edges on the end, and they have almost no clearance with those tiny rubber feet. Placing the corners of the Bolt on something to raise the box some above the shelf might help a lot.

LynnL999 likes this.
  3. cybergrimes

cybergrimes Legend

Jun 14, 2015
    Minnesota
    I don't have a Bolt anymore but when I did the ODT in an open cabinet was 63, I put a cheap laptop cooling device from Walmart under it and reduced it down to 55. The one I got was USB powered so it just plugged right into the back of the TiVo itself.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Onn-Laptop-Cooling-Pad/47891427

There's some more expensive solutions out there but I'm content with $7 fix

BigVBGuy and LynnL999 like this.
  4. krkaufman

krkaufman TiVo shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    It's my understanding that there should be an ODT* temperature value reported within the System Information screen.

* ODT == "On-Die Temperature," per this post.

LynnL999 likes this.
  5. LynnL999

LynnL999 Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Irvine,...
  6. LynnL999

LynnL999 Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Irvine,...
    Okay, thanks, I had no idea what that meant. It's in English on my other TiVos.

I will check when I get home and report back.

7. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Could look cool with the blue lights from underneath the Bolt. :)

Note one of the user comments (I don't have the cooling pad, myself): "Must be used with back feet out (at an incline--see pictures) there is no spot cut out for the cord, and the fan rest on the cord (meaning the laptop is lopsided if the back feet are not extended."

Don't know if this would concern you.

8. cybergrimes

cybergrimes Legend

Jun 14, 2015
    Minnesota
    Looks near the same as mine really. Also along the lines of Mike's comment-- I use mine with the feet out that produces a slight incline, I do this so it can pull more air through under the TiVo. I actually liked mine so much I bought 2 more for other devices...

Mikeguy likes this.
  9. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Just curious as to how long you've had yours, and if you leave it always running. I'm never sure how long something like this will last, based on my past experience with laptop coolers.

10. cybergrimes

cybergrimes Legend

Jun 14, 2015
    Minnesota
    I bought them all over a few weeks in December. I power each one off the device they cool so on time depends on if the device is being used but the TiVo one has been on 24/7 and it's still kicking just fine. I was apprehensive to lifespan too but figured only one way to find out!

11. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    When I had an inexpensive laptop cooler, I wasn't too successful with long lifetimes. Another way of looking at this, though: it's only $12 and with a 1-year warranty (which at least 1 comment noted the seller was good in making good on). And so, even if it only lasts just beyond a year . . . .

And hey, purchase with a credit card that doubles the warranty. :)

12. cybergrimes

cybergrimes Legend

Jun 14, 2015
    Minnesota
    Have you seen the AC Infinity devices?

13. LynnL999

LynnL999 Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Irvine,...
    ODT = 71.

I'll order the laptop cooler. In the meantime I put some felt feet under the TiVo.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    cybergrimes and Mikeguy like this.
  14. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Now that's getting into serious cooling!

15. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    I got some similar cheap ones from Amazon, also with the blue light.
    Not for my Bolt which got one of the good quiet fans, but my Roamio's that already had noisy fans replaced, and the replacements are now getting noisy.

Watching TV, the blue lights aren't a problem, but when I am trying to sleep, they are annoying.

Other than the annoying factor, they do drop the temp down to a comfortable level.

phox

16. LynnL999

LynnL999 Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Irvine,...
    Oh wow. Got the ODT down to 65 in an hour and a half with just the felt boosting it off the shelf. Thanks V7Goose!

cybergrimes likes this.
  17. LynnL999

LynnL999 Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Irvine,...
    This one is in my living room, and the lights shouldn't bother me behind the speaker mesh.

18. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Try water bottle bottle caps at each corner--good for both the environment and your TiVo. ;)

justen_m likes this.
  19. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Good suggestion! When I first got it, I saw the only vents were underneath, so lifting it would help... hadn't done anything yet, as I didn't know what to use. Grey caps from Powerade bottles are perfect!!! And I have a ton sitting around (I re-use the empties as water bottles). Caps from Gatorade bottles are larger, but would work too. Heck, caps from just about any plastic bottle, apple juice, V8, OJ cartons, etc.

Mikeguy likes this.
  20. LynnL999

LynnL999 Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Irvine,...
    I am, in the words of Matt Damon, sciencing the **** out of this thing.

I left the cabinet open overnight and the temp went down to 62, so lifting it up actually had a greater benefit.

The fan should arrive tomorrow and I'll see how that does. If I can get it down to at least 62 with the fan and a closed cabinet, I will be happy.