Temperature of Bolt

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by MrDell, Aug 23, 2018.

1. MrDell

MrDell Active Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Rhode Island
    Just wanted to know what is an acceptable running temperature of the TiVo Bolt? I have been reading many posts of users adding an additional external fan to help cool things down. I decided to check out my temperature and it is between 63 and 65 degrees. Do you think I am OK with that reading or is it worth while adding some additional help. I already removed the cable card door and it seemed to help a little. I don’t mind adding a fan if I have to, but if 63-65 degrees is acceptable I will just leave it alone.

2. darklyte

darklyte Joe

Sep 16, 2003
    New York, NY
    See this thread for more info.
    Bolt + ODT Temp

TiVo tech support told me its fine unless your machine is shutting down, or hits 95. (not very helpful advice).
    Most people report a temp in that range of 60-70, which is where mine is.
    There haven't been any widespread reports of the units failing, but its relatively new still and they are obviously running hotter than is ideal.

A fan certainly would not hurt, and logically it seems could likely prolong the lifespan of your unit. I plan on adding one myself.

MrDell likes this.
  3. Joe39565

Joe39565 Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Mississippi
    Here's the first phase of my Bolt cooling down project started using CIR's suggestions. 100_0481.JPG 100_0482.JPG

4. Joe39565

Joe39565 Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Mississippi
    From reading many posts on this topic, quite a few people, including myself, feel that the operating temperature of the Bolts is running way too hot.

Tivo has been really pushing sales of the Bolts lately, and some of us feel that there is more to it than just getting subscribers to get rid of their older equipment.

If these Bolts are that good, then why do they keep offering lifetime as cheaply as they are unless they figure the lifetime of the Bolts is very limited compared to many of the older models that they are trying so hard to eliminate from their system?

darklyte and MrDell like this.
  5. aspexil

aspexil Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Mine ran at 63-65 pretty consistently. Now that I have a laptop cooling fan it is at a solid 55 everytime I check it.

MrDell likes this.
  6. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    My experience mirrors that from above. I put the S4 Infinity 140 mm $15 fan under the bolt , blowing up Into it across CableCARD slot. I'm only using medium speed setting on fan and it's also totally quiet. The internal TiVo fan is all I hear . Also, my cable card door is removed.

MrDell likes this.
  7. paully65

paully65 Member

Feb 20, 2002
    DC
    I also bought the S4 fan and put it directly under the Vox blowing upward and it was always reading around 70 and now after 3 days, it is always at 57 so I am happy with that.

8. MrDell

MrDell Active Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Rhode Island
    Thanks so much for all of the input regarding this question.... I think that adding a little help from an external fan is probably a good idea to help extend the life of our Bolts!

9. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    It's one way. I have three bolts. one, I nailed to the wall. Its top lid is completely off and fan disabled . temp is 51. Another one, I have sitting on the desk with hard Drive compartment slightly ajar to let heat Escape and about a hundred holes drilled into the top of the main compartment lid above the heatsink. It's fan is also disabled it runs 60 Odt. That 60 ODT reading is a little cooler than stock TiVo with fan running but I plan to drill even more holes and hope to get it down to 55 ODT. Passive cooling is nice because bolt fan is so loud. My third bolt, 6 tuner bolt plus I did not want to void warranty so the only thing I did was put a fan under it and it runs 55 odt. the S4 fan I bought is much quieter than the internal TiVo fan by the way.

10. Joe39565

Joe39565 Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Mississippi
    Note: Connect fan end connector to fan and cut off other end and solder 100_0483.JPG 100_0484.JPG 100_0485.JPG 100_0486.JPG 100_0487.JPG Red (+ 12V) and Black (ground) wires to SATA power on Rosewill circuit board.

SATA 3.0 III SATA3 6Gb Hard Drive Data Direct Right Angle Cable 45 cm (17.71654")

Cooler Master 120mm Silent Fan S2S-124K-GP

120 mm Fan Dust Filter Guard Cover

Added 120 mm cooling fan to top cover of Bolt, and had to cut two more holes at rear of Bolt for SATA & Fan Power, plus about 70 more ventilation holes to case bottom.

Attached Files:

darklyte likes this.
  11. Joe39565

Joe39565 Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Mississippi
    What I've posted is a combination of ideas gathered from other contributors here plus a few of my own.

I decided on installing an 8 TB hard drive upgrade plus these cooling modifications.

Instead of powering the 120 mm cooling fan from the Tivo Bolt motherboard I used the power supply of the Rosewill box. This should result in additional lower power consumption and slightly less heat generated by the Bolt power supply.

All cutouts were made with a dremel tool.

I'm still waiting for the new SATA cable to arrive, so I can't yet check temperature change, but it should be great.

12. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    I have the Infinity 120mm fan (set at Medium) and I just have it standing next to my bolt blowing across the back. I also have created risers from Stok cold brew coffee bottles. I am usually anywhere from 50-57, but as long as its not disgustingly hot and humd, it usually stays in the 50-53 range. I think each on their own helped a little bit so you could always try one thing first and see if it helps.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Mine is just a Black Silent Fan XS2 installed and sitting on a shelf. I used to have my Bolts on a wire shelf but not any more. And the temps with the Black Silent fan are still much cooler than stock. I've been using the fans since April 2017.

14. ohboy710

ohboy710 Member

Jun 30, 2008
    I agree, just putting mine up in the air on some 'legs' made it cool down significantly. That took 10 seconds and didn't cost anything. My first bolt died after 13 months, maybe related to heat.

15. MrDell

MrDell Active Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Rhode Island
    Hello everyone, I just wanted to post an update... finally got in my fan and placed it at the left rear corner blowing across the back and side of the Bolt. I lifted it up a little over an inch also on rubber feet that I made. I am happy to report that my temperature reading is now 49 degrees down from 68 degrees before any modifications .... thanks again for all your input!

16. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Which fan did you get ?

17. forrie

forrie New Member

May 30, 2003
    Derry, NH US
    I finally gave in and bought a Bolt recently. Experiencing the same issues, the fan is noisy and on perpetually. The unit freezes mid-video, uncorrectable several times. The bottom of the unit wasn't snapped into place properly.

Furthermore, the UI on this is a complete abomination.

I am going to guess that with their recent acquisition, they may be having some internal problems. And with rumors of Amazon jumping in to the DVR scene Tivo should be *very* concerned.

Their support staff are trained to keep you subscribed, that's what they do. Most of them are, in my experience, pretty incompetent.

All of these matters spell doom for Tivo. Unless they have some miraculous new system to put out... the BOLT is a piece of GARBAGE and I can't believe I paid this kind of money for a 3T unit. Cheap parts, horrible UI/UX.

_F

18. MrDell

MrDell Active Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Rhode Island
    [​IMG]
    I purchased this low profile 120 m/m AC Infinity fan from Amazon. Had to fit it into a narrow shelf. Great air flow, very quiet!! Using it on low with great results.

cwerdna and jth tv like this.
  19. MrDell

MrDell Active Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Rhode Island
    I do agree that this unit is lacking in design and runs way above temperature. Maybe by adding an external cooling source some of your performance issues will be fixed. I am experiencing none of your issues. It is really disappointing that we have to incur the added expense but it is a small price to pay to get our Bolts up to par!

20. paully65

paully65 Member

Feb 20, 2002
    DC
    I bought the Aircom S7 (UNAVAILABLE) AIRCOM S7, Receiver and AV Component Cooling Fan System, Top Exhaust 12"
    Before they ran out of stock. Put it underneath the Tivo as it is the exact same size as the Bolt and have the air blowing up into the unit at 75% fan speed. Buy this over the S4 model. My Tivo now feels cool to the touch all over and the temp went from 70 to 47!! I am not doing any mods as this is a huge improvement. Now, the fan on this is a little bit loud, but I wear ear plugs at night so I don't hear anything. I did buy an S4 to put on my A/V receiver and it is silent even at the highest speed. I originally used the S4 on the Tivo, but it only brought the temp down to 55.