"Temp too high" problems with 6.3?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Fletch, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Oct 9, 2006 #1 of 63
    Fletch

Fletch New Member

May 27, 2001
    Huntington...
    I have a new chronic problem with my HR10-250 locking up with the "internal temp was too high" message. It seems to have started with the "upgrade" to 6.3, but this could be a coincidence. I have confirmed that the fan is working and I am not using HDMI. In an effort to try anything, I removed the HDMI card completely and installed a second fan to circulate the air. No improvement.

AFAICT, the unit is not that hot. The power supply heat sinks are almost cool to the touch. In fact, in cases where I have been able to check the sys info screen immediately before or after a freeze, it shows ~42-43.

In one case, this sys info screen showed 16C! This suggests to me that there is an intermittent failure in either the temp sensor or the software that talks to it.

- Has anyone else seen this (either with or without 6.3)?
    - Can anyone point me to the location of the temp sensor if I want to try to disable it?
    - Any other suggestions?

2. Oct 9, 2006 #2 of 63
    scooby_doo_53

scooby_doo_53 New Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Lakewood, CO
    I haven't seen any change in temperature since the upgrade. I have the "twin breeze" fan from Weaknees, because I added a second drive. The temperature is the same as it was on 3.1.5

3. Oct 9, 2006 #3 of 63
    Fletch

Fletch New Member

May 27, 2001
    Huntington...
    Thanks. Yeah, I don't think mine is any hotter either. The software that shuts it down just thinks it is.

4. davisryan

davisryan New Member

Mar 6, 2002
    I am having the exact same problem. I can't even get it to complete booting tonight because the warning shows up as it is getting info from the satellites. I called DirecTV, and their only solution was to send me a new HR20 for free. I'm going to give it a try because my HR10-250 was getting really bad even before the upgrade to 6.3.

5. thunter913

thunter913 New Member

Sep 6, 2003
    Fletch, I had this happen one time to one of my three boxes. At the time it was running 3.1 (the box is now at 6.3a). The temp reading on the box was also between 42-43. I tried to reboot the box and saw an error message stating that the unit had exceeded its normal temp operational range. I turned the box off for about 15 mins, then powered it back on and the box booted without incident. The box has not experienced the problem again nor has any of the other boxes had this problem.

6. davisryan

davisryan New Member

Mar 6, 2002
    I left mine off all day today and turned it on when I got home. It booted and immediately gave me the overtemp error. I'm assuming that it's fried. I hope my new HR20 isn't as bad as I expect.

7. DennisMileHi

DennisMileHi New Member

Apr 23, 2004
    Englewood, CO
    I had the same problem with one of my two HD Tivos on Monday. It would not get past retrieving satellite information before the overtemp message came on. Nothing would solve the problem.

So, I called D* and asked for Advanced Technologies. Told them it must be a sensor or something, but I didn't equate the problem with 6.3a until I saw this thread. They are sending me a replacement HR10-250 for free even though the 1 yr warranty is long past. I told them I did not want an HR20 because I wanted to watch my OTA channels and I loved Tivo. No problem on their end doing that.

I hope the box arrives today but now I am concerned it might just be some weird 6.3a deal. Go figure! BTW, I plan to swap the hard drives so I don't lose any of my recordings or SPs.

8. leesweet

leesweet TC Special Member

Mar 13, 2004
    Northern VA...
    Er, swap hard drives so you don't lose recordings?! Now, how are you going to do that between HR10s? :) Been there, done that, gotta wipe it all out, unfortunately.

9. davisryan

davisryan New Member

Mar 6, 2002
    They sent me a new HR10-250 as well instead of the HR20. The woman at DirecTV said they would send a HR20, but then she asked me about HD locals and much have changed it.

I activated the new HR10 and promptly unplugged the phone line. I am going to leave it on verison 3.5 for now to see if it works better. The performance of the old unit went downhill with every "upgrade".

10. creesh

creesh New Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Long time lurker, first time poster.

Excited to finally get 6.3a yesterday on my oldest box (June 2004). Today I can't boot up due to the internal temperature message. I've tried three times. The box is cool and the fan is running.

Anything I can do other than call for a replacement? Unbelievable.

11. tbarker

tbarker New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    You could try pulling the drive out, reformat it, and then use InstantCake from PTV to reinstall a fresh copy of 3.1.5f.

12. davisryan

davisryan New Member

Mar 6, 2002
    If the replacement is free, why bother? You might as well get a brand new one.

13. creesh

creesh New Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Yeah, I called and they are sending out a replacement.

I hope this isn't a widespread problem with 6.3a. It sounds like are only a few of us unlucky ones over in this thread.

I have a second box that upgraded to 6.3a 2 weeks ago and it's working great

(knocking on wood...)

14. drewba

drewba New Member

Nov 25, 2000
    Renton, WA
    Add another to the list. I got 6.3a one or two weeks ago, and now I get the internal temp error within 2 minutes of startup. Interestingly, it shows up even using an old 3.1.5 drive that I had laying around, so it isn't just software.

I'm glad to hear that DirecTV is still sending out HR10 replacements since the HR20 won't work for me (no OTA). My unit is way out of warranty as it was purchased in April/May 2004, but hopefully I'll get lucky like some others have.

Does getting a replacement mean that I am signing up for a new 2 year contract?

15. creesh

creesh New Member

Oct 16, 2006
    It shouldn't mean a new contract as long as you are signed up for the $7.99 per month protection plan.

If you aren't under the protection plan, they will probably make you extend your commitment or pay something for the new box.

16. Joseph e

Joseph e New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    My temp says normal at 46, what is the normal range?
    Joe

17. drewba

drewba New Member

Nov 25, 2000
    Renton, WA
    I talked to DirectTV tonight. They'll replace the box with another HDTiVo for only a $20 shipping charge, but it will be a leased box and a 2-year committment. I can also buy the box for the low, low price of $749.

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do. I don't want to be locked into DirecTV for a 2 year committment. However, moving to cable and the $799 Series 3 (or free Motorola DVR) doesn't sound that appealing either.

18. AjaiSehgal

AjaiSehgal New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    WA
    Does this sound familiar?

After receiving the 6.3a update code, now my HR10-250 TiVo DTV receiver will not boot either. It errors out with "Internal Temperature Too High" despite the fact that the unit is cool to the touch and the fan is blowing cool air. Great. After reading all of you above, I spoke with the Advanced Technical support group at DirecTV who say:

1. this was the first time they have heard about this issue. and:
    2. it could not be related to the 6.3a update as he has one at home and has no problems.

They are going to replace the box that I PAID $999 for with a box that is "Leased" from DirecTV! Since I am an "A" list customer they will graciously wave the shipping charge but I have to send MY receiver back to them. Great, I am out $999 due to a failure that DirectTV appears to have caused and they get my old box back to refurb for the next person. For some reason I feel very ripped off.

Is there anything more than circumstantial evidence that 6.3a is the cause of this?

19. solsurfer

solsurfer Member

Mar 17, 2003
    LA, CA
    I just got the same message. Not sure if 6.3 has made it down to my system yet, though. I'm thinking it might be a bad hdmi board in my case. I tried putting in the clean original drive and I get the same message - does that mean it can't be a 6.3 issue? Or 6.3 macking a change to the card or some other flash memory?

20. hammer32

hammer32 TiVo Combat Crew

Jul 4, 2001
    North America
    I had this happen about 3 days before 6.3 became active on my TiVo. If I used anything other than HDMI the message would go away. If HDMI was connected nothing I tried (letting it cool overnight, giant box fans, etc) would get me anything other than the high temp warning screen. Once 6.3 became active I was able to use the HDMI connection again without issue.