Telnet not working - new install

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by DanInSD, Jun 3, 2007.

1. DanInSD

DanInSD New Member

Jul 8, 2003

Advertisements

I've got Jeff Keegan's book, "Hacking Tivo," and have installed everything according to the instructions. I can telnet into my Tivo and get a "bash02.02#" shell. When I type "ls" I get, "bash: ls: command not found."

Any idea why? I've tried to search everywhere but can't find an answer. Everybody has different ways of loading the software and I can't find anything for Jeff Keegan.

I'm thinking my rc.sysinit is not calling my /var/hack/etc/hacks_callfromrc.sysinit file to run all the hacks that were installed. But I don't know how to tell if the rc.sysinit is working correctly. Specifically, I tried to have TivoWeb running and nothing works when I point my browser to my IP address of the Tivo.

Thanks in advance!!!

2. BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    "ls" is an external command, and requires that busybox or other native binaries be in the path.

3. DanInSD

DanInSD New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    As I'm looking into this more, it seems as thought my Tivo doesn't know about /var/hack/etc/hacks_callfromrc.sysinit which has all my custom code. Any idea how to get it to recognize it?

Also, do you know where the logs are from rc.sysinit so I can look at them?

Thanks!

4. DanInSD

DanInSD New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    I was thinking the same thing, that the binaries aren't in the path. In the book it mounts /dev/hdc9 as /mnt/tivovar. Then, all the binaries are in /mnt/tivovar/hack/bin. Can I do something similar in the startup script?

5. BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA

Advertisements

rc.sysinit doesn't have a distinct log file... you can find some of the messages in /var/log/kernel

tivo automatically mounts hda9 to /var, so putting /var/hack/bin in the path should be sufficient

to test this out, you can always type "/var/hack/bin/ls" at a bash prompt... that should give you a directory listing.