Tell me why I shouldn't

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by zac, Jul 29, 2007.

1. zac

zac New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Birmingham
    I have to TiVos (both on monthly subs), one connected to Sky and one to a Freeview box, Now that Sky have dropped the sub for Sky + I was thinking of of moving to the dark side (ducks head to shouts of incoming). This would save me £20 month , so after 7 months will have paid for the box and installation cost and my box count will go from 4 to 1.

Now I love Tivo, the wife loves Tivo and I realise that sky isn't as good in some respects but switching has benifits so would shouldn't I do this

2. a18041967

a18041967 New Member

Oct 19, 2002
    Same here I cannot justify the £10 per month for EPG data that bothe Sky & Freeview provide free. Just invested in a Humax 9200T and will be selling the Tivo.

I did call Tivo to see if they would offer me a reduced Life Time sub as I'd been paying for nearly 2 years, they weren't interested.

3. a18041967

a18041967 New Member

Oct 19, 2002
    Is it still a no, no to ask about alternative EPG data for the Tivo, is there any way to not pay the subscription and use an alternative data source?

If we can discuss this, are there any sites that may have information relating to this?

4. katman

katman New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    East Anglia
    One thing to consider is playback of recorded material.

With your existing setup you can record two different things - which a single box SKY+ setup can also do.

When it comes to playback you can watch two recorded programs on differnet TVs in the house and other people in the house could also still watch live SKY or Freeview if neither of the Tivos were recording.

With the SKY+ box you can still record two shows whilst playing back but you will only ever be able to play back one recording at a time and you will also lose the ability to watch anything else from Sky live at the same time

5. soa

soa New Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Cromarty
    of course, if you'd taken the Lifetime sub out, you would have paid it off by now...
    I got a Lifetime sub after 3 days of Tivo. I've had mine for about 7 years...

6. Major dude

Major dude Member

Oct 28, 2002
    You will regret it.

I have had Sky HD for over a year now & recently downgraded to £15 minimum sub once the Sky + sub went on cost grounds. I have two TiVos as well, one feed by NTL /virgin, the other from a freeview box, and I would ditch Sky completely before either of my TiVos. Okay I have had lifetime subs on both since new but even so if I was in your position and had to save money I would sacrifice the Sky sub first everytime. The fact is that navigating around TiVo is so much more convenient to me than using Sky + & if you went for sky only you would really regret it and miss your TiVos so much.

7. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Things like this:
    record 8 channels at once make me want to move back to a toppy... but then I remember how hacky the toppy interface was (even with mystuff tap) , and I stay with tivo...