Tell me why I bought a Bolt again?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by beyondthetech, Feb 19, 2016.

1. beyondthetech

beyondthetech Member

Jan 1, 2015
    New Jersey

Advertisements

I still own my Premiere XL4 2TB that I won in a TiVo contest on Twitter. After a free year of service included, I added the lifetime to it, and it's been humming along beautifully. However, the included video services like YouTube, Netflix and Amazon were painfully slow to start up and use, that I ended up getting TiVo Minis and relegated the Premiere to serve simply as a remote tuner, show recorder and server for the Minis.

While I saw a few Roamios going on sale with lifetime, it's the QuickMode and SkipMode of the Bolts that convinced me to skip the Roamio line altogether, especially considering that the Roamios could be forsaken or made obsolete because of the Bolt line.

So, while my family and I are enjoying the Bolt, I hear now that the QuickMode and SkipMode have come to the Roamio. Now, I want to make this clear - it's not that I'm some snob and don't want previous models not to be supported, as I'm sure I'd be begging TiVo to implement those features if I owned a Roamio. But with those two specifically advertised features on the Bolt to get people to want to upgrade, why shouldn't I just pack up the Bolt before my return window is over and grab a Roamio instead, now that it can do it, too?

Lifetime on the Bolt is a whopping $599, and that doesn't include the $200-300 price tag of the Bolt, yet I've seen Roamios with lifetime for less than that.

So, what am I getting by sticking with the Bolt?

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    If you are on cable/FIOS the Roamio Pro with lifetime deal for $600 has always been a better deal than the Bolt. Just like the $300 deal for the OTA Roamio with lifetime was a better deal for OTA only users.

The Bolt is simple the newer model and you have to pay for that. From my point of view I prefer the Bolt over my Roamio and it is easy to tell the difference, especially when opening an app. That said their is nothing wrong with my Roamio if works fine, just a little slower than the Bolt.

If paying extra for the Bolt is worth it or not is personal, so no one can answer that for you but you. And as with all tech, a newer, faster (and likely more expensive) unit will be coming which will temp some to upgrade again while others will be perfectly happy using what they have. Then at some point the Bolt will get cheaper and be the better deal - remember the max price of my base Roamio with lifetime was $700 at one point and dropped to $400 last summer after about 2 years.

3. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    You paid for the beautiful art gallery contemporary design that causes everyone who gazes upon it to ponder the meaning of life.

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    The Bolt is considerably faster than the Roamio.

If SkipMode has come to the Roamio, nobody told mine. (Then again, hmm... I moved all the SPs that I thought would benefit from SkipMode over to the Bolt when I got it, so it would be hard to notice. Has SkipMode come to the Roamio?)

5. BRiT wtfdotcom

BRiT wtfdotcom Active Member

Dec 16, 2015

Advertisements

Yes, Roamio and minis from the roamio have skipmode.

6. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Not all Roamio's have received it yet but should by next week.

7. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I haven't owned a Bolt but I did put together a list which especially now with SkipMode on Roamio doesn't make the Bolt look too good. Here's my list. Perhaps Bolt owners can add more in the Plus side:

BOLT DISADVANTAGES (vs Roamio Plus/Pro)
    * No analog output (for Slingbox)
    * Only 4 tuners
    * $600 lifetime or $150 yearly
    * No out of home streaming with built in stream
    * No in home streaming of copy protected programs?
    * Only supports 2 streams at a time for built in stream (vs 4 for Roamio)
    * Can't disable clipping in software
    * Ugly white box with strange form factor

BOLT ADVANTAGES
    * Better CPU and memory - quicker running Opera applications
    * Opera browser can play 1080p videos (1080p transcoding in PLEX)
    * Faster networking

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  8. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    I can stream copy-protected stuff in-home no problem.

There's also faster networking (over OTA/base Roamio) -- gigabit, 802.11ac, moca 2.0

There isn't a long list of benefits. It comes down mostly to how much you appreciate the extra speed and 4K vs. price and extra tuners. But even the Roamio speed is perfectly acceptable. I've had no complaints.

Getting a Roamio and skipping the Bolt generation is totally legit, especially with the pricing getting jacked up and the uncertainty about the future regarding ATSC 3.0 (for OTA units) and cablecard's replacement.

9. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Skip mode rollout to Roamio is scheduled to be finished by 2/24.

https://support.tivo.com/articles/Features_Use/SkipMode

10. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    Why Bolt for me?

1) Faster
    2) Newest model and will thus be supported the longest
    3) Could care less about lifetime, I'm sure I'll be on to a newer box or totally different technology not invented yet by the time lifetime would pay for itself, things are moving really, really fast in the OTT space
    4) Being newest will eventually be the only one to get new services and features
    5) 4K should I ever get a 4K TV (which will probably be sooner then later as my Plasma creeps up to 10 years old
    6) No feature of any Roamio device over the Bolt is something I care about

Everyone needs to do their own list though.

11. beyondthetech

beyondthetech Member

Jan 1, 2015
    New Jersey
    Thanks for all the constructive replies. Forgive me for sounding optimistic, but forums can be a haven for notorious trolls, but this community seems very helpful to each other. As I just upgraded my TV as well to a 4K model, I will stick with the Bolt and pay yearly until a new model comes out, so I won't have to be at a crossroads again like I was with my Premiere.

12. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Just wait. There are two or three participants that live to tell you how wrong you are. There is also the ignore list.

I'm still waiting for TiVo to get better with HDMI issues, and I need a new AVR before I go 4k. Maybe this fall.

13. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I was very surprised they rolled out SkipMode to the Roamios. That was the one feature that might have got me to buy a Bolt instead of another Roamio. Since 4K was useless to me, a SkipMode enabled Roamio Pro for $599 with lifetime was a no-brainer. I jumped on the deal and never looked back. To be honest, if I had upgraded to a Bolt and then found out that the Roamios were getting SkipMode, I would have been pretty annoyed.

14. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Since there is currently replacement for the Plus/Pro in the Bolt line they pretty much had to. If there was a replacement then they might not have.

15. colodane

colodane New Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Thanks for all the reports. I have been considering the Bolt as my first TiVo, but the number (not unanimous, I know) of reports of poor OTA reception by the tuners has been the final factor that has made me decide not to purchase one. I was willing to try and overlook the
    * White color
    * Goofy case shape
    * Loud fan
    * Pulling out my hair to get a Comcast Cable Card to work

But now there are just too many negatives. I'll grit my teeth and stay with Comcast cable for a few more months until something more appealing comes along.

16. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I haven't had any problems with my Bolt OTA. I get exactly the same signal as I did with my Roamio OTA. I wouldn't let a handful of reports about bad tuners on these forums scare ypu off. People tend to seek out forums like this to complain more so then to praise.

Although your concerns are a bit confusing since you mention that reports of poor OTA reception AND potential hassles of getting CablCARD working as deterrants. You do realize that the Bolt is either/or right? You can set it up as either OTA or cable, not both.

17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I had no problems with Bolt OTA reception either. It works just as well as my Roamio Basic.

And at my GFs house, she uses table top antennas. When I tested the Bolt there, the Bolt picked up the same channels as her Series 3 Box and her Roamio Basic with table top antennas.

18. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Is it just me, or does it seem like every time a new TiVo is released, people complain that the OTA reception is worse than previous models? By now, I'd expect to get better OTA reception on a submarine in the middle of the Pacific (been there, done that) with my S3 than a Bolt a few miles with LOS to the transmitters. ;)

Sorry, my only OTA TiVo is a TivoHD*, so I can't really contribute anything to the discussion.

I think its caps are failing. A tuner will drop out. Completely. No signal. I have to reboot. Sometimes both drop. 100% reproducible if I try to debug with the signal strength option. It worked FINE before I bought my Roamio. That must be the cause, right? ;) Can cap failure cause OTA tuner failures on the TivoHD? They work after a reboot, and then some point the tuners stop working. I pulled its cable card over a year ago and it is just OTA, but I get over a dozen channels via bunny ears.

19. mjh

mjh Re: Member

Dec 19, 2002
    I totally agree with your last point. 100%

But when it comes to #3 above, part of the reason for purchasing lifetime is that it puts some additional equity into your device. And that equity is owned by you and can be sold. For example, I was able to sell two tivo premeire's that I had for about $500 and then used that to upgrade my household to a roamio ota and mini. And I paid about $50 for the upgrade. And most of that came from the need to install a moca adapter so that the mini could connect to the roamio.

IMHO the lifetime / all-in deal is an incredibly good deal. I glad that tivo offers it.

20. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It was a good deal, not so much at $600 plus the loss of the "free" year that is included in the price of the box. Assuming you paud full MSRP it would cost you $900 for a Bolt with lifetime. If you wanted to upgrade in 3 years you would need to sell the lifetime Bolt for $300 more then a non-lifetime Bolt just to break even. For it to actually be advantageous you'd have to sell it for significantly more.

The $400 lifetime deal offered to existing users makes it a bit better though.