Ted Lasso on Apple TV+

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cmontyburns, Aug 15, 2020.

1. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX

Advertisements

Somehow I missed (or don't recall) the Ted Lasso character created to promote NBC's acquisition of Premiere League broadcasts some years back. From the sounds of those spots, I'm glad I did, because the character I've read about is probably not one I'd have checked out in a show.

But this Ted Lasso is a charmer. The first three episodes of the eponymous comedy are available on Apple TV+ now, with 4-10 dropping one each Friday for the next couple of months.

A lot of the reviews I've read suggest this is a comedy in form only, in that's it's more a genial hang that will make you smile, than a joke machine that will make you laugh. I agree that it's no 30 Rock -- there aren't too many "here comes a joke!" moments -- but I did chuckle more than a little during these first three. And the show really is ingratiating otherwise. It feels good watching it, which is no small thing nowadays.

Credit to Jason Sudeikis for making this version of Ted a guile-free, supremely nice optimist, vs. what I understand to be a somewhat rougher character in the old NBC ads. There are a couple of things I especially like about this portrayal. First is that while the character is set up to fail, and nobody thinks much of him, the show doesn't make him the butt of a joke. He knows exactly the situation he's in, and knows when he's being mocked, but lets it roll off his back, countering it with positivity. Second, though he's a fish out of water in his new job, deliberately so, the show makes clear he's a good coach. Maybe a little unorthodox, but he's not just some rube. I don't know whether they'll choose to have that result in the team starting to win, but -- as the reporter writes at the end of the third episode -- I'm rooting for him.

Fun, likable show. Check it out.

2. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    this is a series? I thought it was a "made for TV" movie.

3. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Yep. First season is ten episodes.

4. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Isn't this Bill Lawrence's (Scrubs, Spin City, Cougartown) new show? I seem to recall them mentioning it on the latest Fake Doctors/Real Friends podcast.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  5. GoPackGo

GoPackGo Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2012
    AZ

Advertisements

OP’s review is spot on. First ep I wasn’t so sure but by the 3rd I was absolutely hooked. Looking forward to the weekly episodes.

6. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Yes, although I suspect it's more Sudeikis' new show and he needed an experienced showrunner to help him get it off the ground and shape it; enter Bill Lawrence.

7. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    High five, tree!

8. Aaron Malloy

Aaron Malloy Active Member

Oct 30, 2019
    So now that you've grown to the like show, have you looked at those NBC ads now? I thought they were funny and a clever way to generate the interest of American football viewers to check out the English variety.

9. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Not really a surprise, but still, good news that Apple just renewed the show for a second season.

10. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Friday night is Ted Lasso night! Episode 4 dropped today: "For the Children".

This one was a good example of what some of the reviews were talking about in saying this is a comedy that doesn't necessarily generate a lot of laughs. There were some chuckles in this one, but it was more of a pleasant hang with actually a lot of sadness underneath. Hannah Waddingham was really good in it; she played the pain and loneliness and humiliation of Rupert's appearance really well. I know she was in Game of Thrones, which I didn't watch, so I've not seen her before. I like her a lot.

Poor Coach Beard. Never put the game before the dame.

11. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I watched the first episode and about 10 minutes of the second. Show is not for me.

12. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Wanker!

;)

13. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I'm really liking it as a good fluffy summer show. Actually learning a little bit about football/soccer.

14. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I'm really enjoying this show. I definitely look forward to each new episode being released.

15. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I’m glad Apple is releasing the show weekly. Friday night is Ted Lasso night now. I really look forward to it.

Last week’s episode, when his wife and son come to visit, was another really nice one. Of course, I’m partial to anything Andrea Anders is in (ah, Better Off Ted...). I’d be crushed, too, if she fell out of love with me.

I’m glad Ted benched Jamie. I was afraid he wasn’t going to do it after he let Jamie mouth off to him in the locker room.

16. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    How many episodes are there supposed to be? Might watch the rest when the series is over.

17. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    10, I believe.

18. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    It’s Ted Lasso day! I’m so happy.

19. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    * Spoilers for “Two Aces” from here. *

At the start of this episode, I was a little worried that it was going to be the first truly flat one of the series so far. The “words become sounds” bit was a little amusing, and I suppose was a needed bridge from showing Ted crushed by the end of his marriage to the rest of the episode. Him wallowing would not have set the right tone, but they also couldn’t have him go back to being his upbeat self immediately, so they made him a little manic. (Same for his barely-comprehensible lecture of Jamie.) But doing the words-to-sounds thing in two or three successive scenes was pretty thin, and made me wonder if they didn’t really have a story to tell this episode.

Not to worry; it was another gem. The curse storyline was a little unexpected, but it paid dividends in a pretty believable unification of the team, including Jamie. The show really does push the feel-good button, and I had a happy grin at the end as they were all burning their mementos and chanting together. I’m not sure Jamie’s backstory quite justifies the tool he has been, or maybe this quick turn back into (apparently) being a good teammate, but it worked on me in the moment.

It’s smart for the show to keep throwing Rebecca’s philandering ex in her face, because it’s hard to see what reason she would still have for rooting against the team otherwise. Presumably she will have come around by the end of the season, but it felt like it was a bit too soon for it to happen now, though she clearly has been struggling with it. When she walked off at the end and threw the Richmond coat off her shoulders, I knew she was going to do something. I admit I was caught by surprise when the something turned out to be sending Jamie back to the other club, though that was completely telegraphed earlier. Good on the show for getting me to forget about it.

Really enjoyed this one.

20. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    I'm enjoying this as well. And I didn't think I'd like having to wait every week for an episode instead of bingeing all of them at my own pace, but I think it works for this show.

I'm having a hard time figuring Rebecca out, which I guess is kinda the point. She obviously wants the team to tank. But then when they need her help, she reluctantly gives it. Though maybe she did have something to do with Jaime going back to Manchester. Whatever she's doing, she's not a Rachel Phelps.