Ted Danson - CSI

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by RandomTask, Oct 20, 2011.

1. RandomTask

RandomTask New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Is it just me or does someone actually think the show is better with him?

Frankly, they dorked the show up so bad that last night I gave up and deleted the SP.

Just curious how others feel about the change.

2. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I think he's better than Fishburne.

Or rather, his character is a better fit for the show than Fishburne's character was. Last season was really awkward, trying to have a lead actor who wasn't the main character.

3. jcondon

jcondon Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2003
    I missed some episodes over the last two seasons. Decided I didn't care and deleted the Season pass for both CSI:Miami and the original CSI.

I really didn't like how they made Catherine the boss but Fishburn's character seemed to be the boss. Someone with zero real world experience. Yes I get he was some great professor but I just wasn't buying his character.

I just didn't like his character or the chemistry between them.

4. angbear1985

angbear1985 Τι ποτέ !

Aug 25, 2006
    Ohio
    Love Ted Danson on the show. Love what he's adding. better fit.

5. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    We like the show much better this year. We didn't dislike Fishburn as an actor, but disliked his character's storyline. The whole Nate Haskill thing was just boring.

6. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I have only watched a few episodes so far, I think I have 2 eps on the TiVo, but I am really liking Ted Danson's character, and the new niece from LA. They are a much better fit. I think the show is much better this season.

I hated the character they brought on in the same season as Fishburne... I think her name was Riley? I didn't dislike Fishburne's character though... I agree with markz, I didn't like what he was being given to work with. That Nate Haskill storyline made so many episodes rot on my TiVo for months because I didn't want to watch yet another Haskill episode.

7. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I am starting to really enjoy Danson as the boss. They definitely overdid the quirkiness in his first episode but seem to have scaled it back in the most recent ones.

8. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I don't see why they felt they needed a "name actor" to replace Peterson---first Fishburne and now Danson. Why couldn't they just let Marg take over and bring in another low-level CSI? Make it more of an ensemble show like e.r. or something...

It's almost like they were thinking that Peterson was the reason people watched the show and with him gone, they needed a big name to replace him. I don't know about you, but to me it's the formula and the crime/solution that's the star, not whoever is running the lab...

9. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    They probably wanted A) Somebody with a little more heft than Helgenberger to anchor the show, and B) Somebody who hasn't been on the verge of quitting for years to lead the show into the future.

10. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    Because...
    she is leaving the show mid-season. She was planning to leave after last season but the writers asked her to stay on for part of this one so they could properly script her exit.

11. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Maybe Marg wouldn't be tempted to quit if the producers made her the lead in the credits...

12. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    My impression is that she's been tired of the show for several years now, and they keep tempting her back. But that's really not the kind of attitude you want in somebody who will be expected to carry the show in the future.

That's probably also why Greg and Sara aren't good candidates for lead status, with their past hold-outs (didn't Marg also participate in one of those? I can't recall...).

13. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I think it is a lot better this year. But it could be the writing. I hated how they kept having a continuation of the serial killer last year. I prefer shows that are wrapped up by the end of the time slot.

14. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    I'm liking the show with Danson's character in it. And Brody is some nice eye candy. :p

15. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    Yep, I agree with this. It was overkill in the first ep, but I'm really liking his character now.

I think it was Sarah and Nick who tried to hold out and then backed off when they got 'fired'. I don't see either of those characters as lead material. Don't remember Katherine being part of the attempted hold out, but she could have been.

16. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    There was that, but I think there was another incident that didn't end up quite so dramatically involving several of the cast members.

17. bsnelson

bsnelson Mid-life anti-crisis in progress TCF Club

Oct 30, 1999
    Frisco, TX, USA
    I think these last two episodes were probably better than most of the last two seasons. Of course, I'm a sucker for the mobster episodes, and the most recent one ("CSI Down") was just some spectacular writing. IMO, of course.

Danson wasn't doing it for me in the opener, but he's growing on me. I like him.

Brad

18. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I didn't dislike Fishburne's character, just that there was ambiguity as to who was supposed to be in charge.
    If Fishburne's character had been established that he was the boss, I think it would have worked.

I am okay with Ted Danson as the lead. He does add a new element to the show.

19. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Although it wouldn't have worked, because no way would they take somebody with no experience whatsoever and put him in charge of a CSI team.

He might have worked as a replacement for Eckles (a position where politics can trump experience), but leading a field team? No way. To replace Grissom as well as Peterson, it would have had to be an entirely different character.

And that was the problem. The character was created to be just another foot soldier, but the actor was the lead of the show. And they never solved the tension between those two facets. This just isn't the show for that kind of literary experimentation...it's been coasting for years now. The writers just don't work that hard.

20. sbelew

sbelew Member

Mar 13, 2005
    I didn't start watching the show until Fishburne joined the cast. I agree it was an odd fit, but I liked him. But Danson... I'm not so sure yet. Really did not like him at first, but they have seemed to soften up his character some but kept the oddness to him.