Teach TiVo Patent issued Dec 13, 2011

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by sbiller, Dec 20, 2011.

1. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    TiVo was issued a patent on Dec 13, 2011 for Intelligent System And Methods Of Recommending Media Content Items Based On User Preferences - Patent 8079046.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/108481223/Intelligent-System-And-Methods-Of-Recommending-Media-Content-Items-Based-On-User-Preferences---Patent-8079046

A system and method for making program recommendations to users of a network-based video recording system utilizes expressed preferences as inputs to collaborative filtering and Bayesian predictive algorithms to rate television programs using a graphical rating system. The predictive algorithms are adaptive, improving in accuracy as more programs are rated.

This patent hints at an upcoming significant improvement to TiVo Suggestions. I wonder if we will see this released in the major software upgrade coming early in 2012?

[​IMG]

2. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Did you see it was originally filed in 2000?

3. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I did but it appears to have been revised and broadened on Nov. 15, 2010. See page 1 of the actual patent.

[​IMG]

4. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    At a glance of the OP is sounds similar to the Music Gnome Project used by Pandora

5. DCleary

DCleary New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Yeah, stupid that they grant patents for this nonsense considering it is based upon some pretty well established statistical methods. If they are customizing a particularly algorithm then fine but a process?

6. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    For a while early on you could enable this capability by turning on backdoors and entering some other sequence. It was pretty cool but it wasn't around long enough to see much impact on suggestions.

7. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Both inventors, Ali & Van Stam are not employed by TiVo right now. It appears Van Stam now works for Vudu. Ali was a consultant and still lists TiVo on his consulting page --> http://cll.stanford.edu/~ali/

8. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  9. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Actually, I love it when annoying bilge like this is patented, that makes it far less likely that I'll encounter it in other places.

The company I work for (Concurrent Computers) just did a big press release about their new patent for (wait for it...) playing custom advertisements on network DVRs while people are fast forwarding :).

Just think of the joy users of network DVRs will experience when they try to fast forward past annoying commercials, and they get different commercials instead. If anything could increase TiVo's market share it would be this happening to cable customers who were suckered into getting a "cloud" DVR from their cable company. They'll be running to the store for a DVR without this helpful feature in no time at all. (And cable companies are all stupid enough to enrage their customers by adopting this as well).

10. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I see nothing wrong with the USPTO granting TiVo a patent for their system and method for recommending content. This seems like a very solid patent that protects the thumbs rating system that discriminates TiVo from a run-of-the-mill DVR.

11. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale

Didn't ReplayTV do that ~10 years ago?

12. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Looks like someone's taking Zeo's place around here for biggest fanboy in the face of derision, where's he been anyway.

13. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    True. Love my TiVo. :up:

14. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Teach TiVo is pretty old. IIRC it was on the Series 2 (maybe even the S1) and you could turn it on via backdoors. Wish it would come around. Imagine if they had this, combined with your overall thumb ratings, and then combine it with your Netflix ratings. TiVo would know me better than me.