TE4 update from Hydra Fans

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Brilliant_Donut, May 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. May 1, 2018 #1 of 20
    Brilliant_Donut

Brilliant_Donut New Member

May 1, 2018
    Hi, I guess our family is one of the few people who outright loved the Hydra update (minus the bugs). Acknowledging that, we wanted to toss out some feedback on TE4 update in the hope that TiVo employees can use it for the next revision (or if TiVo_Ted is asked about tivocommunity.com's response)

• The home screen is not better now. Nor does it fit with any other parts of the Hydra theme.
      • The live preview on the home-screen (TiVo Central is the name?) is either a smaller window with a giant blank space where text used to be, or a nausea inducing live background.
      • Why not use the "What to watch" UI layout on the home screen? That solves the NOW empty left corner issue.
      • Why do the large suggestions not change when you move to a different horizontal menu? Seems like a missed opportunity. ie: scroll to App, and the discovery bar shifts to display last-used apps. Likewise, scroll to "what to watch" and you have the discovery bar populated by that content.
    • The TV guide is remarkably worse.
      • Having light grey text on a dark grey background, THEN making it transparent? Scrolling on this guide, with the background images flashing, really strains the eyes.
      • The grey box outlines make it look like an excel spreadsheet - like something from the early 2000's.
      • Still no color coding for the guide. :/
    • The mini-guide IS a better layout, but being transparent makes it useless when the background video is bright (like is often the case on HGTV)
      • Again, this is a huge eye strain.
    Huge step back. We liked Hydra, but we're considering losing 3tbs of recordings to move back to the old UI now - the eye strain is awful. Not everything has to be transparent, tivo UI team!

JACKASTOR, buildersboy66 and Bryshaw like this.
  2. May 1, 2018 #2 of 20
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Honestly I don’t know why people care about blank space. Who needs more clutter?

razor237, hapster85, Bryshaw and 2 others like this.
  3. May 1, 2018 #3 of 20
    CloudAtlas

CloudAtlas Bryan

Oct 29, 2013
    New York, NY
    I have to admit I disagree strongly with everything you wrote but if it gives you eye strain I can understand.

tenthplanet and jason.bottjen like this.
  4. May 1, 2018 #4 of 20
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    May help bring it to @TiVo_Ted's attention. ;)

5. May 1, 2018 #5 of 20
    johnfasc

johnfasc Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    Agree, I have bad eyes...but eye strain? That did not even come in to focus for me (couldn't resist that one).

aaronwt, tenthplanet and CloudAtlas like this.
  6. May 2, 2018 #6 of 20
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I found the brightness of the lines in the guide distracting.

7. May 2, 2018 #7 of 20
    tim_m

tim_m Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Here we like the changes. Especially my elderly mom. She had trouble reading the older guide and removing the one row and making the text bigger made her happy.

CloudAtlas likes this.
  8. May 2, 2018 #8 of 20
    jason.bottjen

jason.bottjen New Member

Apr 24, 2018
    I prefer the look of the updated guide.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JACKASTOR, CloudAtlas and aaronwt like this.
  9. May 2, 2018 #9 of 20
    Craigm

Craigm Member

Nov 20, 2015
    I agree. Brightness, grey color and thickness are all bad design.

JACKASTOR and krkaufman like this.
  10. Sptrader

Sptrader Member

Oct 7, 2017
    I don't use Hydra but why aren't brightness, color, and line thickness user selectable options?
    Either offer a dozen different templates or allow the user to select many choices of everything. We all don't have the same taste, eyes and aren't all the same age. Like Windows 10, almost everything should be user selectable choices.

JACKASTOR likes this.
  11. Craigm

Craigm Member

Nov 20, 2015
    Said well! At least bold print on the Guide as an option for us old folks.

12. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Active Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    I agree the blank space is a wasted opportunity, and one hopes it is sorted soon. The other suggestions are great ideas. Change is long arduous.

13. smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Or at least allow for the ability to adjust transparency like on X1.

14. adessmith

adessmith Active Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Don't use the word "opportunity" when your comment is aimed at TiVo. It means something different in the TV and entertainment industry than it means to consumers.

15. adessmith

adessmith Active Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Be careful what you wish for... haha

tivo.jpg
    (just for the record, this is a joke)

Balzer, CloudAtlas, longrider and 6 others like this.
  16. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I really don’t get the anxiousness to add more clutter. Blank space is just fine with me. There is enough graphics on the home screen as is. Thanks for the example that might happen. Ugh.

hapster85 and CloudAtlas like this.
  17. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Finally found how to turn off the background image in the guide (the still if you are using the picture in the corner). The background image for the My Shows list option affects that. No separate setting for guide versus shows list.

18. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Try the Slow button |> to toggle the background and/or video window.

19. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    That doesn’t change the background, only turns the corner box on and off.

JoeKustra likes this.
  20. hapster85

hapster85 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    I agree that the Guide now looks like an old Excel spreadsheet, and it's the same thought I had on first sight. It's at least functional, and I'm sure many are grateful for the larger font.

Blank spaces are fine with me. The screen is busy enough without filling every square inch of open space.

Megamind likes this.