TE4 Bolt and Large Drives

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by jmbach, Feb 27, 2021.

1. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009

Advertisements

Since I saw some posts that the Edge (running TE4) can format drives larger that 3 TB properly, I thought I would test the Bolt on TE4. I did and so I thought I would post my findings on my Bolt when tested with a large drive. The drive I used for this was a 10 TB drive.

- Bolts can now self format drives larger than 3 TB properly. So far I find no issues with its use, however, I have not filled one up yet to near capacity.

- Kickstart 57 and 58 will put it in a GSOD boot loop (technically it is not a green screen but the verbiage on the screen is the same.) You can recover from this by using MFSTools mfsck to change the MFS header magic to 'OK'

- My unit has not gone through an OS update so I am not sure if it will go into a GSOD boot loop.

- I have fixed MFSTools (but have not released it yet) to do a direct copy to large drives (no more limiting the copy to 4 TB and then using mfsadd and mfsaddfix to expand.) The copy from my 500 GB to 10 TB went smoothly and booted it up fine. Recordings were there. Running KS 58 like I usually do after a copy resulted in a GSOD boot loop. Recovered using mfsck.

Consequently, it appears on Bolts running TE4 that TiVo has fixed the bug in the OS which limited partition sizes to 2 TB thus allowing the use of drives greater than 3 TB with a native partition layout but then broke Kickstart 57 and 58 which provides a rudimentary check and fix of the MFS file system.

I have not tested a Roamio on TE4 but I am inclined to think it can handle large drives properly as well. Some one else will have to test that as my units are on TE3 and have been instructed not to tamper with them.

LarryAtHome, WVZR1 and HerronScott like this.
  2. WVZR1

WVZR1 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    GREAT NEWS I believe!

A question? I have a Bolt+ 3TB and a Bolt 1 TB that I purchased to use as 'test device' before tinkering with my Bolt TE3 'Lifetime/AllIn'. Neither of these devices have 'Activated Service' - the Bolt + ended up having a bad 3TB drive and I've stuffed a very old 250GB 2.5 HDD in it for a operational test. With TE4 I've had it steaming TiVo+ content for over a week. It does very well.

Could/would this Bolt + with 'no activation' format completely an externally mounted say 4TB 3.5HDD?

*** I must commend you on your 'patience' a few evenings ago!!!!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  3. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    So it depends on what you mean by externally mounted. If the externally mounted means an externally powered drive that is hooked to the internal SATA connector of the TE4 Bolt, then yes. If it means an externally powered drive hooked to the eSata port of the TE4 Bolt, then no.
    However with MFSTools, you can add any size external eSata drive to the TE4 Bolt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. WVZR1

WVZR1 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    Yes an external connected to the internal SATA. I've no interest in an eSATA anything. Now 'might' my 'All-In' Bolt w/TE3 do the same?

Reason I was interested in the TE4 w/no activation is that if done 'cleanly' it might certainly increase resale.

** I've asked this before I believe but never received a response. If I were to purchase an 'annual activation' and sold my Bolt with 10 months left on the annual would that be transferable to the purchaser?

5. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009

Advertisements

I think it would be transferable but some one else will need to give you a more accurate answer.

I have been thinking about putting the bolt innards in a HTPC case. Just need some one with a 3D printer to print out a plate for the external connections for the Bolt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk