TE3 Devices cannot access TE4 DVR

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by CoxInPHX, Mar 11, 2020.

1. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have (1) Bolt DVR running TE4 and (1) Mini running TE4
    Starting this evening all my TE3 Devices can no longer access my (1) Bolt DVR running TE4.
    I receive the "Unexpected Problem (C501) error when selecting "My Shows" on the TE4 DVR from any TE3 Device.

I have rebooted everything,
    Is anyone else seeing this issue?

jfalkingham likes this.
  2. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Nope. My S3 can still access the Now Playing list on my TE4 Bolt just fine.

Of course, the old S3 is not really running TE3, but if it can still do it, I suspect any box can.

3. CoxInPHX

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    TE4 DVR to a TE3 works fine. I tried setting a Static IP Address on the TE4 DVR and that didn't help.

Immediately after rebooting the TE4 DVR, I was able to briefly bring up the "My Shows" list, but the Menu was the old SD Menu, not the HD Menu. After exiting and retrying I got the "Unexpected Problem (C501) error again.

4. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    OK, I got off my butt and walked into the other room just now to test my TE3 Bolt - it still brings up the My shows list from the TE4 Bolt just fine.

Just an FYI - I use that TE3 Bolt to watch programs from the TE4 box virtually every day (because I absolutely DESPISE trying to use the HORRIBLE TE4 UI), and it has been several years since the last time I remember having any problem accessing programs that way.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  5. vaquero

vaquero Active Member

Jan 14, 2020
    I have a Premiere running TE3 and a Roamio running TE4. Are you guys saying I can watch recorded Roamio programs on the Premiere? How so? Thanks.

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I access my TE4 and TE3 Roamio and Premiere boxes without any problems unless the TE3 units are in Standby. If they are in Standby I get a BSC and then the SD menu.

7. CoxInPHX

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Still not working. Any suggestions?

8. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    If both of your TiVos are on the same account and have the same MAK, then the other box should be shown as a device at the bottom of your Now Playing list. Select that device and you can copy or stream programs to the Premier.

On the Roamio running Horrible TE4, you look for the Premiere box name under "Devices", and you can stream programs from the other device, but not copy them (just another 'added value' feature that they changed in new TiVo devices to provide LESS value to us owners).

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    vaquero likes this.
  9. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    What devices are not working? You did not state what they were, only that they had TE3

10. vaquero

vaquero Active Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Thanks.

11. dmurphy

dmurphy Home Again

Jan 16, 2002
    Same problem here. Worked yesterday, not today. Hoping this resolves shortly.

CoxInPHX likes this.
  12. TivoJD

TivoJD Active Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Polk Co,...
    check TE4 for a pending restart and reboot if you do maybe? I had an update on TE4 yesterday and rebooted and I can access TE4 box fine from TE3 mini and Roamio.

13. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I was wondering it was related to the update as well.

Scott

14. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    My TE4 Bolt has the newest update (21.9.7.v3), and the access from TE3 worked fine both before and after the recent update for me. Since the problem is brand new, the only thing that really makes sense is that the new TE4 update is somehow causing it (not fixing it), but it is clearly not a universal issue with all boxes that get the update.

The greater unknown variable that could be causing a problem like this for just some people are the myriad different home network setups.

Just for comparison, my TE4 Bolt is connected as a MoCA client (so not using any direct Ethernet connection), and my TE3 Bolt is the MoCA bridge. My THD that can also still access the TE4 box is connected via wired Ethernet to the same central switch as the TE3 Bolt. So to summarize:
    TE3 MoCA bridge can access TE4 MoCA client just fine.
    Series 3 wired Ethernet can access TE4 MoCA client just fine.​

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  15. vaquero

vaquero Active Member

Jan 14, 2020
    I'm new to this. So, I have a Roamio running TE4 and a Premiere on TE3. I can watch shows on either box from the other box through wifi. However, if I'm watching a Premiere program on the Roamio, I can't pause, FF, rewind, etc. using my Harmony remote. I have to use the Tivo remote for the Roamio.

Question is, when watching a Premiere program on the Roamio, which box am I controlling with the remote?

Thanks.

16. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Your remote controls the box that is sending the video signal to your TV screen.

If you are streaming a program from a remote TiVo box, any trick play controls are still sent to the receiving (local) box, not the remote source box. So just as you stated, if you are watching ANYTHING on the Roamio box, you must use the remote for the Roamio to control the playback.

17. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Same here since my TE4 machine went to 21.9.7.v3, all 3 TE3 boxes give a C501 when accessing the TE4 Roamio even after reboots.
    All 4 boxes are on the same MoCA section of the room.

CoxInPHX and jfalkingham like this.
  18. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    You don't say what TiVo the Harmony remote is configured to control but since you are watching the show on the Roamio (streaming from the Premiere), the Roamio remote is used to control the playback of the show that's going to the TV.

Scott

19. jfalkingham

jfalkingham Member

Jul 23, 2002
    New Hampshire
    We noticed the same problem after our bolt vox updated to the latest version of Hydra. All of the other TiVo are on the older experience and none of them can stream shows from the bolt vox. I did contact TiVo they are aware of the issue and stated that a fix will be coming soon. I don't know how true that is it's what they told me.

Shows lack of QA releasing an update to Hydra without checking streaming/transferring back to last gen software boxes.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

CoxInPHX likes this.
  20. CoxInPHX

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    It's not a local Network LAN issue.
    I have moved the TE4 DVR (running 21.9.7.v3-USC-11-849) directly to the router using Ethernet; Tested WiFi, Tested MoCA, forced IP Address changes, nothing I've tried has made the TE4 DVR available from any TE3 device.

I also Repeated Guided Set-up, did not resolve issue.